2021 Softball Schedule & Season Discussion Thread

AU's SEC tv schedule

AUBURN, Ala. – Auburn softball will be a staple on the ESPN family of networks throughout the 2021 season as the Tigers were selected for nine nationally televised broadcasts, including four originating from Jane B. Moore Field. The Southeastern Conference and ESPN announced the full season broadcast schedule on Friday.

Auburn's national broadcast schedule features contests on SEC Network and ESPNU.

Date Opponent Time (CT) Network
Sunday, March 14 vs. Alabama 2 p.m. SEC Network
Saturday, March 27 at Missouri 11 a.m. SEC Network
Friday, April 2 vs. Arkansas 12 p.m. SEC Network
Saturday, April 3 vs. Arkansas    1 p.m. SEC Network
Saturday, April 10 at Texas A&M 4 p.m. SEC Network
Saturday, April 17 vs. Kentucky 11 a.m. SEC Network
Friday, April 23     at Ole Miss 5 p.m. SEC Network
Saturday, April 24 at Ole Miss 7 p.m. SEC Network
Friday, May 7 at LSU 5:30 p.m. ESPNU

In addition to the nationally televised contests, Auburn's remaining regular-season schedule will feature a number of streaming broadcasts via the SEC Network+. Additional information on the SEC Network+ schedule will be announced at a later date. All links to digital broadcasts can also be found on the Auburn softball schedule page.

The 2021 SEC Tournament will be televised in its entirety. Every game of the first and second rounds will air on the SEC Network. The semifinals and championship contests will receive coverage on ESPN2.

ESPN is also home to the 2021 NCAA Division I Softball postseason, which will kick off with the NCAA Selection Show on May 16, 2021.

1 hour ago, saminbama said:

Looks like the Saturday games are back on the schedule of the UNF website.  We play USCe Saturday morning at 8:45.  I'm assuming that's Eastern time.

I think it's central. AU twitter & schedule page has the start times at 9 AM & 2 PM CT.

I’m glad we were able to at least take one game from SC this weekend. It was nice to see the fight from the team in the loss. Alabama appears to be first in the SEC with great pitching and hitting. Florida looks to be second in the conference, but their hitting and pitching might be suspect against good teams. After those two teams, it seems to be wide open with almost every team dropping a game or two to opponents they should have beaten. Kentucky is the only other unbeaten team besides the top 2.

I’m hoping Sam can improve from her performance yesterday. She showed flashes of what she could do in a few innings, but she left a few balls over the plate that SC took advantage. Dean started her slow last season, so I am hoping he wanted her to work through things yesterday. Lexie was a bright spot and showed she could be a contributor. Overall, the pitching staff’s strikeout numbers are up, but we have to improve walks and HBPs. 

It seems some spots are still up for grabs, particularly LF, 3B, 2B, and DP. Godwin is hitting the ball well, but she can’t catch every game. Nillen might be able to catch a few games if she can continue swinging the bat well. Dowell is hitting well. Rivera is starting slow again this year. Perry has first locked down, and I hope she can improve her average at the plate because she has the power. Packer seems to be solid in CF, and it was nice to see power from her this weekend after a lot of small ball the first weekend. Horton seems like she is a lock to be in the lineup, but I’m not sure if it’ll be DP, 2B, or OF. McCondichie is struggling at the plate, but she showed last year she can hit for a high average. 3B seems to be a battle between Bryant and Garcia. LF seems to also be a battle between Schmidt and King, but Horton could probably slide in if needed. DP seems to be whoever has the hot bat at that moment. 

Lots to look forward to this weekend!

• Like 1

Thought I would mention Sydney Cox came up to bat I believe in 5th inning and replaced McCondichie at 2nd for 6th and 7th inning.  In the 7th inning she reached 1st due to fielding error and eventually  scored our last run of the game.  From everything I have seen McCondichie has played her position well but at this point is only 1 for 8 at the plate.  In the second game with SC,  three freshman played ....Schmidt, Cox and Bryant.  In the first game with SC 4 freshman played if you include Cox as a base runner.  Of course Penta pitched, with the others being again Bryant and Schmidt.  

McCondichie hit around .500 last year, but I’m sure they will try a few different people at the position if she continues to struggle. Cox, Koepke, or Garcia all have experience at 2B, plus Horton if she can clean up her defense.

Dean seems to be holding to his word about performance in practice. There a quite a few players I thought we’d see at some point that have yet to make an appearance or have limited appearances so far.

I did not expect the Lowe girl to pitch much this season since she is a freshman, but I carried my dog to the vet (her daddy) today and he was telling me that she was the starting pitcher this past weekend and did really well. How can I find out when she is scheduled to pitch? Thanks

36 minutes ago, chizhead said:

I did not expect the Lowe girl to pitch much this season since she is a freshman, but I carried my dog to the vet (her daddy) today and he was telling me that she was the starting pitcher this past weekend and did really well. How can I find out when she is scheduled to pitch? Thanks

Nothing is in stone yet but it looks like she may be in the rotation.  Penta has looked good and Handley has looked good in very limited circle time.  Yarbrough struggled Sunday but she will come around.  Lowe had a good outing over the weekend as well.

I don’t know what Coach Dean’s plans are for the weekend series.  He may go with two starters or three starters.  It depends on how they progress. 

37 minutes ago, chizhead said:

@chizhead So far she has started every 2nd game in a weekend or tournament through 2 weeks. Line ups don't come out til 20 minutes before a game starts so it's a bit of a guessing game. We have 5 games scheduled between Thursday & Saturday in a tourney we host. My guess is she will start 1 of the 2 games on Friday at 2:30 or 5 CT (my guess is the 5 CT game) & may start one of the Saturday games at the same times. My guess again would be the 5 CT game if she gets a 2nd start.

If you want to see how she has done so far she has started 2 games & these are the game threads for them...

12 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Nothing is in stone yet but it looks like she may be in the rotation.  Penta has looked good and Handley has looked good in very limited circle time.  Yarbrough struggled Sunday but she will come around.  Lowe had a good outing over the weekend as well.

I don’t know what Coach Dean’s plans are for the weekend series.  He may go with two starters or three starters.  It depends on how they progress. 

Right now Lowe is the #2 starter but like you said things can always change.

Sometimes it's difficult and start off the season hot at the plate, but 8 AB's is a very small sample size. I agree with Jad0003, it looks like she must not be swinging it well in practice. Hopefully we see her get back on track soon.

I agree with most the posters in this thread.  I can see Penta as the Friday starter and Lowe on Saturday in a regular 3 game series.  Sunday may be a committee approach right now until Yarbrough can get settled.  I hope CMD doesn't over use Penta early in the season.  Handley and Dismukes have been very effective as relievers.   Lowe has tended to give up base hits (11 in 9 innings), but she pitches out of jams very well (.75 ERA).  Penta has a pesky habit of giving up walks (10 in 19 innings), but she also has 22 strikeouts.   Aspyn Godwin has been LIGHTS OUT.  A .500 BA and 5 of her 7 hits are are extra base hits with 3 HR?  WOW!!   With the come back effort Sunday coming up just a little short, I think this team is going to be fun to watch.

• Like 4

I too think we will be really good. Hitting will be there and we have to give pitchers run support. Penta, Low, Dismukes, and Handley all have looked pretty good so far. And while Yarbrough had a Rocky start in her first appearance this year I noticed that the only 2 walks given up by her were full counts and besides the HR early the hits were not squared up on yet they were the no man's land bloopers.. so my point is folks once we get all the pitcher's hitting on all cylinders (Yarbrough back to throwing like last spring).. lookout as it could be a magic carpet ride for us with this Auburn team!!! War Eagle!!!

Tiger Invite this weekend beginning Thursday at 5 PM vs Jacksonville.  We defeated them last weekend 5-1.  They are 3 - 4 for the year with losses to AU, Florida, SC and a split loss to South Florida.  Radio and live stats.

On Friday a double header vs Murray State from Murry, KY.  They are currently 2 - 7.  Scheduled for  SEC+ TV scheduled 2:30 and 5 PM.  Also Radio.  

On Saturday, DH (2:30 and 5 PM) vs IUPIU out of Indianapolis, Indiana.  The Tiger Invite is their first competition of the season.  They had a record of 5 wins and 15 losses in 2020.  No TV or Radio listed; live stats only.  

I would think we should be favored in these games but hope we do not under estimate the opposition and have sloppy play.  A number of positions are up for grabs so there is still competition.  I don't believe I have seen who is the projected #2 at first base.  The weekend could be interesting in terms of seeing who gets into the playing rotation.  

2 hours ago, AU1947 said:

so my point is folks once we get all the pitcher's hitting on all cylinders (Yarbrough back to throwing like last spring).. lookout as it could be a magic carpet ride for us with this Auburn team!

I love this team & their future potential but I don't think this is the year we go on a magic ride. Even when our pitching clicks hitting will be a question mark. Our hitters haven't seen pitching yet like they will see in SEC play.

• Like 7

After a rousing,heroic and unexpected win by the BB team today against UT, I am ready and able to gut another SB game out today. I hurt myself yelling for Shelby Lowe yesterday( I was alone, in my recliner and don't drink). Her daddy is our vet and I think Shelby's mama was a biff miffed that I don't follow womens sports. I'll follow it after yesterday,especially when Shelby pitches. I honestly didn't think the girl would be as good as she is. Hell, it don't seem like its been that long since she was born

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 99TGR said:

Both Penta and Shelby Lowe are special talents.

Both had perfect games going into the 7th inning. Should have been co winners of the award.

• Like 1

If I am understanding correctly, schools can only nominate 1 player for each category (SEC player, pitcher, and freshman of the week). The league can give out co-awards based on those nominations. I'm sure AU nominated Penta instead of Lowe because she did finish with a no-hitter and had 2 complete games (Lowe had a 1-hitter and ten innings pitched). 

Also, Ashley Rogers from Tennessee won pitcher of the week, even though Kilfoyl (Alabama), Haff (Arkansas), and Penta (AU) had no hitters. There were just crazy-good performances in the league last week, and I'm glad AU and Penta were at least recognized for freshman of the week. 

Edited by all4AU
  • Thanks 1