2021 Softball Schedule & Season Discussion Thread

I feel like I read somewhere Sam had an injury early in the year, which would explain the brace and rough outing against SC. I didn’t look closely at her ankle against Missouri but results were a lot better.

I also think we could have won the game Friday if Lowe was left in the game. Dean probably knew she would be the Sunday starter though and did not want to over use her, especially with Penta out with soreness.

Lowe is clearly the ace of Auburn’s staff. Penta is the number two, but she is still adjusting to the college game. She has also had some bad luck with umpire’s zones, but she seems like determined individual who will figure it out sooner rather than later. Dismukes has done well in the closer role. I’ll be interested to see how Dean handles the weekend starts moving forward if Sam continues to improve. Does he use 3 different starters to preserve wear and tear on arms or does Lowe still start Friday and Sunday? Can Sam displace Penta as two and move Penta to closer? I imagine it’ll depend on the opponent and how we fare in each series but just thoughts I had.

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

I feel like I read somewhere Sam had an injury early in the year, which would explain the brace and rough outing against SC. I didn’t look closely at her ankle against Missouri but results were a lot better.

I also think we could have won the game Friday if Lowe was left in the game. Dean probably knew she would be the Sunday starter though and did not want to over use her, especially with Penta out with soreness.

Lowe is clearly the ace of Auburn’s staff. Penta is the number two, but she is still adjusting to the college game. She has also had some bad luck with umpire’s zones, but she seems like determined individual who will figure it out sooner rather than later. Dismukes has done well in the closer role. I’ll be interested to see how Dean handles the weekend starts moving forward if Sam continues to improve. Does he use 3 different starters to preserve wear and tear on arms or does Lowe still start Friday and Sunday? Can Sam displace Penta as two and move Penta to closer? I imagine it’ll depend on the opponent and how we fare in each series but just thoughts I had.

I agree, Penta will find that grove again. She was too dominate in preseason against different teams to not be able to do it in the SEC. I am sure it is a mixture of confidence and fine tuning her pitching that will finally work its way out.

One of the main problems I have had (outside of our weak hitting and power), is why is Dean using Lexie? She seems to be the only one of the pitchers that has consistently struggled. We do have 3 good to great pitchers w/ Penta, Shelby, and Dismukes, w Yarborough seeming to getting there. I hoped Lexie would provide the steady veteran presence but when in she seems to not pitch well. 

And on hitting, one problem is they really miss Tannon Snow's power. I hate she didn't not get to play this year, but glad Dean found a place for her on his staff to continue to be a part of the team....

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I agree, Penta will find that grove again. She was too dominate in preseason against different teams to not be able to do it in the SEC. I am sure it is a mixture of confidence and fine tuning her pitching that will finally work its way out.

One of the main problems I have had (outside of our weak hitting and power), is why is Dean using Lexie? She seems to be the only one of the pitchers that has consistently struggled. We do have 3 good to great pitchers w/ Penta, Shelby, and Dismukes, w Yarborough seeming to getting there. I hoped Lexie would provide the steady veteran presence but when in she seems to not pitch well. 

And on hitting, one problem is they really miss Tannon Snow's power. I hate she didn't not get to play this year, but glad Dean found a place for her on his staff to continue to be a part of the team....

I agree with your whole assessment.

Hard throwers, like Penta, sometimes have a hard time adjusting to the college game early on because they have gotten away with blowing it by people in the past. As she learns to truly pitch rather than throw, she will only improve, which is scary. I am sure Dean is already working on her approach.

I have to believe Lexie will see her innings dwindle even more moving forward, especially if Sam continues to  pitch better.

Tannon is definitely missed. We don’t have the power bat right now. Alyssa and Justus have shown improvement in the last few games, which should provide some support.

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 3

Lowe SEC Freshman of the Week

SEC Freshman of the Week - Auburn's Shelby Lowe, a freshman left-handed pitcher from Carrollton, Ala., tossed a complete-game shutout at No. 18/20 Missouri on Sunday. Lowe struck out 11 batters to help Auburn earn its first win in Columbia since 2015 and its first shutout win in SEC play since 2019. She also started game one against the Tigers, fanning six batters in 7.1 innings of work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We get Kentucky at Jane B. Moore this weekend.  They have some experienced pitchers (same two they had when we played them last) and some great hitters.  Baalman and Humes (pitchers) are both seniors.  Humes is the one who pitched that 12-inning battle vs. Carlson that Tannon Snow finally won with a homer.  The catcher (Kowalik) and shortstop (Coffel) are particularly dangerous at the plate.  Kowalik is hitting .500 with 8 homers, and Coffel has 15 homers.  The team has 54 homers.

Despite all their weapons, the Wildcats have won only one of their 4 series, that over Alabama at Lexington.  They lost to Georgia at home and to Florida and Tennessee on the road, winning one game in each of those.  They are typically scoring 15-20 runs in each series.  We are #11 in RPI and Kentucky is #21, due to their light preseason schedule.  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Despite all their weapons, the Wildcats have won only one of their 4 series, that over Alabama at Lexington.  They lost to Georgia at home and to Florida and Tennessee on the road, winning one game in each of those.  They are typically scoring 15-20 runs in each series.  We are #11 in RPI and Kentucky is #21, due to their light preseason schedule.  

That is very surprising after the way they played Bammer.  If we can generate any offense, I like our chances with Shelby on Friday and Sunday.

How come our 5th year seniors are not putting up the numbers in the previous years... Commentators mentioned that this weekend that their past production was a lot better than this season. I hope we can steal a few wins against the Cats but they honestly scare me. I also noticed Lowe had a patch or something on the inside of her left elbow... I hope she is not starting to have an issue her arm....

Georgia Stated today at 5pm.  They are Sun Belt conference team with season record of 13 - 20.  Radio/stats only.  

17 hours ago, AU1947 said:

How come our 5th year seniors are not putting up the numbers in the previous years... Commentators mentioned that this weekend that their past production was a lot better than this season. I hope we can steal a few wins against the Cats but they honestly scare me. I also noticed Lowe had a patch or something on the inside of her left elbow... I hope she is not starting to have an issue her arm....

I believe she has worn a patch all season.  Maybe some sort of topical absorbable anti-inflammatory???

• Like 1

Just playing around looking at the SEC rankings for batting averages (all games) over last 6 years but excluding 2020.  A couple of things surprised me.  One being how consistently good Tennessee has been and the other is the improving trend at Kentucky.  The 2021 standing is as of Monday.   Also a bit surprised that Alabama was not so good in the 2017 - 2019 period.  Georgia has interesting trend declining from 1's down to 6 then 9.  Do not know what impacts some of the abrupt changes as have not done deep investigation.  New coach, new hitting coach, fortunate accumulation of good hitters????  I believe Karen Weekly may be the hitting coach at Tennessee.  No need for me to make Auburn comments as the batting woes have been adequately covered on this forum

2021 2019 2018 2017 2016
Alabama 5 10 10 13 8
Arkansas 11 7 9 7 12
Auburn 13 8 8 12 5
Florida 6 13 7 3 7
Georgia 9 6 1 1 1
Kentucky 1 2 3 8 11
LSU 12 3 12 6 6
Mississippi State 10 5 5 9 13
Missouri 2 9 6 10 3
Ole Misss 8 11 13 5 10
South Carolina 4 1 11 11 9
Tennessee 3 4 2 2 4
Texas A&M 7 12 4 4

• Thanks 1

This is one of those instances when I wish I had the stats program I had at work as an engineer.  Thanks for the research.  As for Georgia, the period when they were #1 coincides with the presence on their roster of the two sister outfielders  who were both slappers, fast as lightning, and hit about .420 each.  (don't trust that number)  Tennessee proves you can't do it all with hitting; they've not had a dominant pitcher since I've been following (2015).  One thing to note about Auburn; in 2017, we were #12 in hitting and Clint Myers was the coach.  

14 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

This is one of those instances when I wish I had the stats program I had at work as an engineer.  Thanks for the research.  As for Georgia, the period when they were #1 coincides with the presence on their roster of the two sister outfielders  who were both slappers, fast as lightning, and hit about .420 each.  (don't trust that number)  Tennessee proves you can't do it all with hitting; they've not had a dominant pitcher since I've been following (2015).  One thing to note about Auburn; in 2017, we were #12 in hitting and Clint Myers was the coach.  

And on paper, this group of signees are mostly power hitters w very high batting avgs, so now it will be a matter of can they transfer that ability to the SEC. 

Dean, if he stays at least for the next 2 years, will have strong pitching and hopefully a much better hitting and power line up w veteran pitching and a little more experienced infield/outfield.

I did go back and check and in that 2017 year, Rivera had a .345 avg in SEC games. My how times have changed from them to her SR/GR SR years. 

Packer is now our leading hitter in conference games at .304. Cox is at .278 and King .263. Cox with the highest OPS at .777. Rivera hitting .235. We have hit 3 homers in conference play, compared to 10 for out opponents.

• Thanks 1

Carlee Mconditchie hit .469 prior to Covid.... where has she been? Could use a bat like that in the.line up!!

Edited by AU1947

I’m so done with Dean..... I’m at the Auburn- Chattanooga game and he just sent a runner from their on a shallow pop up to the outfield with no outs. So instead of 2nd and 3rd with one out we had 3rd with two outs and didn’t score.SMH

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

49 minutes ago, blakem said:

I’m so done with Dean..... I’m at the Auburn- Chattanooga game and he just sent a runner from their on a shallow pop up to the outfield with no outs. So instead of 2nd and 3rd with one out we had 3rd with two outs and didn’t score.SMH

And we still can't hit! And there is another thrown out runner!! This is an embarrassing loss to a 9 - 21 SOCON team!! 

Dean has to go. I am hearing that we are going to lose a bunch of players again. This is disgusting. We want to get back to softball being fun again and successful. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, swimmama said:

Dean has to go. I am hearing that we are going to lose a bunch of players again. This is disgusting. We want to get back to softball being fun again and successful. 

About this info that you’re hearing. Would these players be top contributors or what?

1 minute ago, swimmama said:

Yes. Some are definitely top contributors 

Oh lord. My biggest hope is just to make it to next season without too many key players transferring...... especially the freshman pitchers.