2022 Baseball Recruiting Thread

On 5/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, boomstick said:

Someone on another board who is close to LaRue said they didn't think he would leave. Apparently, he really loves Auburn and would stay as a backup catcher rather than transfer. Don't know if that will actually happen, but I could see him staying if we transitioned him to another position. Plus, he has raw pop in his bat and catching experience, and that's always nice to have around.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPjQZtitEG2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

LaRue posted this with the caption implying he'd be back. I mean sure I could be looking into this too hard but I don't think someone would post that and then leave. Also Judd has not posted anything about leaving Auburn yet unlike Williams, Glavine, Greenhill and Owen and it was mentioned he'd be the most likely to stay. Also Butch choose Schorr to stay as the 3rd string catcher when Williams could no longer catch due to his thumb rather than Sybrandt. I guess now the odds of the backup catchers leaving are from highest to lowest: Sybrandt, Schorr, LaRue.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed in the ALL Super State team by the writers that 5 of the 10 are MIss St signees/commits, 2 are LSU and 1 Alabama.

I am not deep into state baseball recruiting, but was wondering why Auburn had not been been as successful instate in this class and definitely lost out to MSU who raked these guys in?

I thought Butch had been doing a pretty good job of instate recruiting, especially in pitching. Is this a down year or we just getting our pants beat by better programs now? 

31 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I noticed in the ALL Super State team by the writers that 5 of the 10 are MIss St signees/commits, 2 are LSU and 1 Alabama.

I am not deep into state baseball recruiting, but was wondering why Auburn had not been been as successful instate in this class and definitely lost out to MSU who raked these guys in?

I thought Butch had been doing a pretty good job of instate recruiting, especially in pitching. Is this a down year or we just getting our pants beat by better programs now? 

MSU can offer in state tuition to Alabama residents in addition to scholarships. Our recruiting class this year is 33rd but next year’s class is ranked 7th by perfect game. A down year for sure. Be interesting to see who decommitted from LSU 

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 2

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-baseball-166784846/

Auburn gets a grad transfer from Samford, Brooks Carlson. His brother, Parker, is an incoming recruit for the 2022 season. Batted .344 in his four years at Samford. Makes me think that the staff believes/knows Miller is gone.

Here are his stats from 2018-2021.

2018-.345/.430/.544 230 AB 78 H, 16 2B, 1 3B, 9 HR, 27 BB, 8 HBP, 35 SO

2019-.345/.429/.518 226 AB, 78 Hits, 17 2B, 2 3B, 6 HR, 30 BB, 6 HBP, 46 SO

2020-.500/.644/.760 50 AB, 25 H, 4 2B, 3 HR, 20 BB, 2 HBP, 4 SO

2021-.301/.409/.478 186 AB, 56 H, 13 2B, 1 3B, 6 HR, 30 BB, 4 HBP, 38 SO

Has a 15.32 K%

Edited by warbiscuit

On 6/15/2021 at 10:58 AM, steeleagle said:

There's not any way to put lipstick on that pig. Let's hope this is a one-time aberration.

On 6/15/2021 at 11:29 AM, warbiscuit said:

MSU can offer in state tuition to Alabama residents in addition to scholarships.

Isn't that the same thing AU can offer to Alabama prospects? I can't see that as a reason they cleaned our clock in Alabama the way they did this year.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

There's not any way to put lipstick on that pig. Let's hope this is a one-time aberration.

Isn't that the same thing AU can offer to Alabama prospects? I can't see that as a reason they cleaned our clock in Alabama the way they did this year.

I think what he is saying is that MSU can offer the same thing AU can, PLUS give you a great facility w/ a huge fan following, and they have been to the last 3 CWS and have been more successful than AU over the last 20 years easily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

On top of the fact that State and OM can waive OOS tuition for Alabama students, they also have a lower overall cost of attendance, less stringent academic standards for merit scholarships, and both have an athletic department much more committed to baseball from a funding and support standpoint. So, a student in Huntsville or Birmingham choosing between Auburn and Miss St could have a much cheaper cost by going to State along with much more amenities and a stronger commitment to the program.

If Auburn doesn't change how they're treating the baseball program and make it more of a priority, Butch Thompson is going to leave. It's hard enough to fight the inequality in scholarship money and attract enough talent to be competitive. It's something altogether different when there is very little support from the AD and promises made aren't being kept.

• Like 1

I think it's just Mississippi State that does, not Ole Miss. But yeah if MSU can offer in-state tuition like Auburn and Alabama, of course the more elite players in Alabama will choose MSU more often than not. And that's not Butch's fault. See how many of MSU's good players over the years are from Alabama like Trevor Fitts(Richard's brother), Tanner Allen, Rowdey Jordan, Hunter Stovall, etc... Even the lone high school prospect from Alabama in MLB Draft's top 250(Maddux Bruns) is headed to MSU. Heck the amount of kids Butch has gotten to forgo the draft is impressive enough. Butch has only lost 4 HS and 2 JUCO guys to the draft since he's been at Auburn. 

Alex Speas-$1,024,900 (2016 draft number 63, 2nd round)

Ricardo De La Torre-$550,000 (2018 draft number 166, 5th round)

Evan Steele-$826,500(2017 draft, number 73, comp Round (JUCO)

Blake Rivera--$528,800(2018 draft, number 106, 4th round) (JUCO)

Gunnar Henderson-$2,300,000(2019 draft, number 42)

Werner Blakely-$900,000(2020 draft, number 111)

He's gotten guys like Garrett Wade, Steven Williams, Hayden Mullins, Tanner Burns and Cole Foster to pass on huge money to come here, and John Ceccoli to skip the draft and sign a year early(wish it'd worked out). Heck Wade, Burns, Williams and Mullins were projected late 1st round-2nd round picks. It's hard to get those guys projected that high to come to campus. Butch has recruited well even though it sucks we lost Bohannon. But apparently next year's class(not for the 2022 season, the 2023) is 7th or 8th right now according to Perfect Game. We are on an uneven playing field.
Edited by warbiscuit

1 hour ago, warbiscuit said:

I think it's just Mississippi State that does, not Ole Miss. But yeah if MSU can offer in-state tuition like Auburn and Alabama, of course the more elite players in Alabama will choose MSU more often than not. And that's not Butch's fault. See how many of MSU's good players over the years are from Alabama like Trevor Fitts(Richard's brother), Tanner Allen, Rowdey Jordan, Hunter Stovall, etc... Even the lone high school prospect from Alabama in MLB Draft's top 250(Maddux Bruns) is headed to MSU. Heck the amount of kids Butch has gotten to forgo the draft is impressive enough. Butch has only lost 4 HS and 2 JUCO guys to the draft since he's been at Auburn. 

Alex Speas-$1,024,900 (2016 draft number 63, 2nd round)

Ricardo De La Torre-$550,000 (2018 draft number 166, 5th round)

Evan Steele-$826,500(2017 draft, number 73, comp Round (JUCO)

Blake Rivera--$528,800(2018 draft, number 106, 4th round) (JUCO)

Gunnar Henderson-$2,300,000(2019 draft, number 42)

Werner Blakely-$900,000(2020 draft, number 111)

He's gotten guys like Garrett Wade, Steven Williams, Hayden Mullins, Tanner Burns and Cole Foster to pass on huge money to come here, and John Ceccoli to skip the draft and sign a year early(wish it'd worked out). Heck Wade, Burns, Williams and Mullins were projected late 1st round-2nd round picks. It's hard to get those guys projected that high to come to campus. Butch has recruited well even though it sucks we lost Bohannon. But apparently next year's class(not for the 2022 season, the 2023) is 7th or 8th right now according to Perfect Game. We are on an uneven playing field.

Ole Miss can and does do it too. It's allowed by state law. They did it several years back to encourage more enrollment in the state universities. I think OM utilizes it for a lot of TX and LA kids. Plus, the state of Miss just got their state lottery to a level that will start funding education scholarships. So, in a year or two, there will be an even bigger impact from that.

The Notre Dame pitching transfer is official now. Tommy Sheehan was going to be ND's ace LHP this past year but had elbow issues that forced him to miss almost all of the season. 

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/LongFormArticle/SEC-baseball-players-NCAA-Transfer-Portal-2021-167051775/

List of SEC players in the transfer portal. Just to confirm there hasn't been anyone who has left since the season ended for Auburn. Just John Ceccoli and Carter Frederick in the portal.

• Thanks 1

https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1410760898789228544

NCAA did not delay deadline for transferring. Interestingly no Auburn player still has not entered the portal since Auburn's season has ended as of now and today is the deadline. Auburn has only had John Ceccoli and Carter Frederick enter the transfer portal plus Seb Thomas leaving the team due to multiple team rule violations. Thinking it will be an open competition for the spots available, and probably gonna lose some commits/transfers to draft/decommitting and/or lose a good bit of players to the draft more than we'd like. Garrett Farquhar posted on his instagram that he'd be back in Auburn when he celebrated his roommate's birthday and said "One more time this year" or something to that effect. Got 23 recruits/transfers if I counted correctly. Losing our 6 seniors and most likely losing Bliss/Miller, so 27 returning players at this moment. Not counting Fitts, Skipper, Howell possibly leaving of course to the draft

• Like 1

Auburn landed two more Samford transfers in RH power hitter Sonny DiChiara and closer Chase Isbell. Two big gets for our roster. Isbell might be limited early coming off TJ surgery to repair a partially torn UCL. Still, he’ll be someone in the backend with a lot of closing experience. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 1:04 AM, warbiscuit said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPjQZtitEG2/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

LaRue posted this with the caption implying he'd be back. I mean sure I could be looking into this too hard but I don't think someone would post that and then leave. Also Judd has not posted anything about leaving Auburn yet unlike Williams, Glavine, Greenhill and Owen and it was mentioned he'd be the most likely to stay. Also Butch choose Schorr to stay as the 3rd string catcher when Williams could no longer catch due to his thumb rather than Sybrandt. I guess now the odds of the backup catchers leaving are from highest to lowest: Sybrandt, Schorr, LaRue.

I know this was about a month ago, but IMO, LaRue needs to be an everyday player. Kid has tremendous pop in his bat and I just don't think he's seen enough pitches in college yet. Considering he has stuck around past the deadline, I assume he's in it for the long haul. What would be really great is if he could turn into a closer of sorts and DH for a majority of games. 

On 7/6/2021 at 2:27 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

I know this was about a month ago, but IMO, LaRue needs to be an everyday player. Kid has tremendous pop in his bat and I just don't think he's seen enough pitches in college yet. Considering he has stuck around past the deadline, I assume he's in it for the long haul. What would be really great is if he could turn into a closer of sorts and DH for a majority of games. 

Well I'd imagine LaRue was promised a good role for next year. Generally Butch has treated his blue chippers who come here and pass on being pro with every opportunity to succeed(Burns, Williams, Wade), and if LaRue stayed, he was promised a role or he's more of a team player than I expected. I think he could be an OF given there's more opportunities there, but he could at least be a platoon C and DH more. I like his potential there, and I would like for Butch to have more two way players and was glad he gave Hill and to a lesser extent, LaRue opportunities to pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Korbin Griffin decommitted from Auburn. He no longer has Auburn commit on his twitter bio and it just says this "...". And Auburn Baseball unfollowed him.

20 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

I believe Korbin Griffin decommitted from Auburn. He no longer has Auburn commit on his twitter bio and it just says this "...". And Auburn Baseball unfollowed him.

Biggest thing that sucks about that is he was the only LHP recruit from HS in that class. A bit off topic, but any word on Garrett Wade's recovery and time table?

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Biggest thing that sucks about that is he was the only LHP recruit from HS in that class. A bit off topic, but any word on Garrett Wade's recovery and time table?

I haven't heard but he had it in July so he should be back right around the time fall practices starts. And obviously they will ease him in. All I know was before the season ended he was doing bullpens.

• Like 2

Got a senior grad transfer from Presybterian named Jake Wyandt. I'm not sure if he has a scholarship but that means we have 5 catchers on scholarship with Dyal, LaRue, Wyandt, Schorr and Sybrandt if he does. I think it means they plan to switch LaRue somewhere else position wise.

Jake Wyandt on Twitter: "I couldn’t be more excited to announce that I’ll be attending Auburn University this fall for grad school and my last year of college baseball! I want to thank my family, friends, coaches, and teammates because none of this would be possible without them. War Eagle🦅 https://t.co/cDP0I2fVKT" / Twitter

We have 50 returnees and incomers. Brooks Carlson, Sheehan, Drabick, are Wyandt are using their 5th years. so I'm not sure if those guys count against the roster limit.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

Got a senior grad transfer from Presybterian named Jake Wyandt. I'm not sure if he has a scholarship but that means we have 5 catchers on scholarship with Dyal, LaRue, Wyandt, Schorr and Sybrandt if he does. I think it means they plan to switch LaRue somewhere else position wise.

Jake Wyandt on Twitter: "I couldn’t be more excited to announce that I’ll be attending Auburn University this fall for grad school and my last year of college baseball! I want to thank my family, friends, coaches, and teammates because none of this would be possible without them. War Eagle🦅 https://t.co/cDP0I2fVKT" / Twitter

We have 50 returnees and incomers. Brooks Carlson, Sheehan, Drabick, are Wyandt are using their 5th years. so I'm not sure if those guys count against the roster limit.

IMO he’s a big pickup. He caught against us in our opening series, and I’m not sure I’ve heard Butch be more complimentary about an opposing player. He clearly caught Butch’s attention in that series. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, toddc said:

Don't know how god the competition was but those are some awesome numbers. Lets hope they become AUsome numbers.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...