2022 Baseball Recruiting Thread

• 2 months later...

MLB.com released their 2022 top 100 Draft Prospects. Auburn does not have any of their players in the top 100. HS recruits Ike Irish and Hayden Murphy are in the top 100 for Auburn at 76 and 58, respectively. Other notable recruits Zach Crotchfelt and Gavin Miller may show up later when the list is expanded to 150/200 players. There is no one in the state of Alabama in the top 100 in terms of high school recruits. Butch has had a few players notably ranked highly by many draft lists to come to Auburn, so it's not a done deal that we're going to lose many recruits, especially Irish and Murphy, especially with them having a high school season left to play. One benefit in Auburn's favor is that Murphy will be a draft eligible sophomore in 2024 so he wouldn't have to wait long to get drafted again.

Here is the list for anyone to look at.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/2022/draft/

HS recruits-

LSU-10

Vandy-8

Arkansas-2

Auburn-2

MSU-1

Ole Miss-1

Alabama-1

College

Florida-4

Arkansas-3

Tennessee-3

MSU-2

Ole Miss-2

LSU-2

Alabama-1

Georgia-1

Vanderbilt-1

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Robby Ashford of Oregon has transferred to Auburn. It is unknown if he will play baseball, but if he is wanting to, he will need to apply for a waiver because he did not transfer by the July 1 deadline for baseball. If he is for this season he will be a walk on and it makes the roster to 46, which means Butch has to cut 6 players.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 9:35 PM, warbiscuit said:

Robby Ashford of Oregon has transferred to Auburn. It is unknown if he will play baseball, but if he is wanting to, he will need to apply for a waiver because he did not transfer by the July 1 deadline for baseball. If he is for this season he will be a walk on and it makes the roster to 46, which means Butch has to cut 6 players.

I think it was agreed that he would

focus on football only the first year. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

I apologize if I have missed something, but I thought we were supposed to have the sons of Wes Helms and Ben Sheets on our roster this year? I thought Helms went through fall practice. I don’t see them on the roster on the Auburn website. Any information would be appreciated. I 

11 hours ago, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

I apologize if I have missed something, but I thought we were supposed to have the sons of Wes Helms and Ben Sheets on our roster this year? I thought Helms went through fall practice. I don’t see them on the roster on the Auburn website. Any information would be appreciated. I 

They got cut.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

Here are the rankings if anyone wants to see them. I've broken down the rankings among the SEC as follows.

Recruits
Vandy-7
Ole Miss-2
Bama-1
LSU-11
Arkansas-3
Missouri-1
MSU-1
Kentucky-2
Florida-1
Auburn-3

Players
LSU-4
Arkansas-1
Tennessee-4
Bama-1
MSU-2
Florida-4
Arkansas-3
Georgia-1
Vanderbilt-3
Ole Miss-1

The three Auburn recruits on the list are Ike Irish at 118, Hayden Murphy at 143, Zach Crotchfelt at 149. Irish and Murphy were at the top 100 on the previous list, so others have surpassed them which has given us a better chance at getting them on campus. Apparently Irish has been inconsistent this spring.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Athletic's Keith Law has ranked Ike Irish 53 on his top 100 board and Sonny Dichiara at 40. Also thinks Zach Crotchfelt could be a 4th rounder if he wants to sign, which is a big if.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Keith Law of the Athletic posted another MLB mock draft. He has Jacob Berry of LSU going first to the Baltimore Orioles given their track record of going for underslot deals with the first round pick. Basically they used this strategy to offer their 1 pick in 2019, Adley Rutschmann, an underslot deal and give an overslot deal to an Auburn recruit, Gunnar Henderson. Basically this can decrease the odds we may get all the HS recruits to Auburn, particularly Irish. Berry wasn't seen as a 1 overall pick, but more of a top 10 pick, but an underslot deal that saves the Orioles 3-4 million dollars can gets quite a few high school prospects to not go to college. But apparently rumor is the Orioles tried to leverage more savings with Berry's finger injury and things hit a snag. Just something to keep an eye for.

• Thanks 1

For those of us not in the know for baseball recruiting how is Auburn doing?  I think I heard on one of the Auburn podcasts that Auburn is bringing in one of their best classes?  NIL helping any with the lack of scholly's that Auburn baseball traditionally has to deal with?  I see these teams like LSU with 10 MLB draft level commits.  Gotta believe thats a double edged sword even though with the NIL you could possibly make more in college than single or double A baseball.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

For those of us not in the know for baseball recruiting how is Auburn doing?  I think I heard on one of the Auburn podcasts that Auburn is bringing in one of their best classes?  NIL helping any with the lack of scholly's that Auburn baseball traditionally has to deal with?  I see these teams like LSU with 10 MLB draft level commits.  Gotta believe thats a double edged sword even though with the NIL you could possibly make more in college than single or double A baseball.

D1 had us in the top 10, before the draft occurs. Be interesting to see what happens after the draft. I'd argue the 2017 class was our best recruiting class in the Butch era.https://www.perfectgame.org/rankings/recruiting/Rankings.aspx

Vandy has the issue of having talented guys like Isaiah Thomas, Ethan Smith, Carter Young and Christian Little leave because they could be a starter somewhere else but are stuck in a lesser role. Be interesting to see if LSU has that even if most go to the draft. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

MLB.com released their newest edition of the top 250 draft Prospects.

Irish-121

Crotchfelt-160

Stanfield-182

Murphy-201

Burkhalter-207

Barnett-209

No Sonny.