2022 Baseball Recruiting Thread

7 hours ago, warbiscuit said:
https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022-mlb-draft-top-400-prospects-h8bxx
Irish-101
Stanfield-134
Burkhalter-198
Dichiara-232
Murphy-280
Bright-284
Barnett-345
Mullins-351
Crotcheflt-461
LaRue-521

The only thing there that I find puzzling is Burkhalter. I'd think he'd be in the top, 50 at least.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

The only thing there that I find puzzling is Burkhalter. I'd think he'd be in the top, 50 at least.

It's very rare to see relievers in the top 50, and even then those that were picked that high were converted to starters, or tried to, like Zack Burdi for example.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

It's very rare to see relievers in the top 50, and even then those that were picked that high were converted to starters, or tried to, like Zack Burdi for example.

Thanks. I don't follow professional baseball like I used to do. Years ago I subscribed to The Sporting News and could tell you all about the top prospects in many organizations. I knew who was drafted when and so forth. But, that's long gone now. These days I follow Auburn baseball closely. I do enjoy the occasional MLB game on TV but that's the limit of my interest in the professional leagues.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Barnett selected with the 87th pick by the Royals.

Bright gets selected with the 137th pick by the Orioles.

Sonny goes with the 148th pick to the Angels.

Based on the draft which players on our current team that are eligible to come back do we think will come back? 

48 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Based on the draft which players on our current team that are eligible to come back do we think will come back? 

Pierce and LaRue have got to be the highest likelihood to return right now.

Skipper/Howell/Moore/Sheehan are tossups to return but Skipper has the highest shot of going pro.

• Thanks 1

Skipper gets drafted by the Rockies with the 326th pick.

Mullins goes to the Red Sox with 369th pick.

Rambusch goes to the Mariners with the 456th pick. (man, there are too many rounds in the MLB draft)

Brody Moore goes to the Cardinals with the 517th pick.

That's it for the draft. Auburn was tied for 4th with most overall picks.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Skipper gets drafted by the Rockies with the 326th pick.

Mullins goes to the Red Sox with 369th pick.

Rambusch goes to the Mariners with the 456th pick. (man, there are too many rounds in the MLB draft)

Brody Moore goes to the Cardinals with the 517th pick.

That's it for the draft. Auburn was tied for 4th with most overall picks.

No recruits got picked. We had a top 10 recruiting class coming into the draft and we will afterwards. If you thought 20 rounds was bad, 40 was a snooze fest.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 2

LOS ANGELES – Auburn pitchers Carson Skipper and Hayden Mullins and infielders Blake Rambusch and Brody Moore were selected on the third and final day of the Major League Baseball Draft Tuesday.

Skipper was selected by the Colorado Rockies with the 326th overall pick in the 11th round. Mullins was drafted by the Boston Red Sox with the 369th overall pick in the 12th round. Rambusch was taken by the Seattle Mariners with the 456th pick in the 15th round. Brody Moore rounded out the day as he was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals with the 517th overall pick in the 17th round.  

A total of eight Auburn players were selected in this year's draft, marking the second most in program history and the most in the top 20 rounds. The Tigers have now had 36 players drafted in seven years under head coach Butch Thompson, including 16 players taken in the top 10 rounds.

A four-year letterwinner in the Orange and Blue, Skipper registered career highs in nearly every category as a senior, including appearances (27), wins (six), innings (58.2) and strikeouts (70). A setup man out of the bullpen, he shined the brightest on the biggest stage, going 1-0 with a 3.27 ERA in four appearances during the Corvallis Super Regional and College World Series.

In 70 career appearances, Skipper earned 11 wins and struck out 157 batters in 132.1 innings. After making 17 appearances as a freshman, he walked just 26 batters in 97.1 innings during his final three seasons.

Mullins went 2-1 with a 3.63 ERA in 11 appearances and eight starts as a junior. The southpaw struck out 43 batters in 34.2 innings and held opponents to a team-best .197 average against.

After starting the season in the bullpen, Mullins moved to the starting rotation in March and ranked second on the team with a 3.29 ERA in seven SEC starts. He took the mound to start the series in his final six appearances before suffering an injury.

In his first season in an Auburn uniform, Rambusch was one of two players to start in every game and hit out of the leadoff spot in 62 of the 65 contests. He led the team and ranked fifth in the SEC with 87 hits, the most by an Auburn player since 2017 and tied for the second most since 2010. Rambusch also ranked second on the team with a .327 average and paced the Tigers with a .347 clip in league play.

Rambusch held down the hot corner in 61 games during the season and was named to the SEC All-Defensive Team at the position. The redshirt junior also led the team and ranked tied for third in the league with 16 stolen bases, the most by an Auburn player since 2016.

Joining Skipper as a four-year letterwinner, Moore ranked fourth on the team with a .291 average and turned in career highs in runs (46), hits (74), doubles (12), home runs (five), RBI (38) and stolen bases (six). The Oneonta, Alabama, native started at shortstop in 64 games and turned in a .982 fielding percentage to lead the Tigers to a program record in the category.

In four years in an Auburn uniform, Moore turned in a .299 average and collected 158 hits in 143 games, including 131 starts. He registered a .982 fielding percentage having played all four infield positions and the two corner outfield spots in his career.

6 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

No recruits got picked. We had a top 10 recruiting class coming into the draft and we will afterwards. If you thought 20 rounds was bad, 40 was a snooze fest.

Oh, I get that. lol But when you're putting in so and so got drafted with the 500+ pick it gets a bit silly.

On 7/20/2022 at 12:21 PM, warbiscuit said:

BA has us as the biggest winners of the draft in terms of colleges.

https://twitter.com/CrosbyBaseball/status/1549764005815676928?s=20&t=M3O_XJm26_bmGe_aBK9Wwg

Seems like a common theme for Butch last several years.  Players want to play for him.  That may be the hardest recruiting job in college baseball, retaining the recruiting class or current players from jumping to minor leagues. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Seems like a common theme for Butch last several years.  Players want to play for him.  That may be the hardest recruiting job in college baseball, retaining the recruiting class or current players from jumping to minor leagues. 

Yeah we had very good recruiting classes coming into the 2018-2020 seasons and did well to keep most of the guys. Apparently Gunnar Henderson really wanted to come to Auburn, but I'd never blame him for taking the money. Besides Gunnar, most of the recruits that left either in JUCO/high school to the draft haven't really done well in the pros sadly.

I remember last year Butch got questioned if he wasn't getting top guys because he was playing it safe and not spending effort on top recruits, people forgot that Wade and Burns were top 50 draft prospects, and not to mention him bringing Bliss, Williams, LaRue, Barnett, Daniel and other guys here who were questions to go pro out of high school

• Like 2

On 7/22/2022 at 6:25 PM, warbiscuit said:

Yeah we had very good recruiting classes coming into the 2018-2020 seasons and did well to keep most of the guys. Apparently Gunnar Henderson really wanted to come to Auburn, but I'd never blame him for taking the money. Besides Gunnar, most of the recruits that left either in JUCO/high school to the draft haven't really done well in the pros sadly.

I remember last year Butch got questioned if he wasn't getting top guys because he was playing it safe and not spending effort on top recruits, people forgot that Wade and Burns were top 50 draft prospects, and not to mention him bringing Bliss, Williams, LaRue, Barnett, Daniel and other guys here who were questions to go pro out of high school

Baseball recruiting is a balancing act you can get a great class of guys who commit but never play for your school because they go pro. So if you go for top players you must know them well enough that you feel they will play at least one year for you.  You don't want to play it so safe that the players will commit the sign and play but are not the top recruit that can get you to Post season play. 

Butch has done a very good job of this so far especially when you realize that other programs can sell Instate tuition for out of State players and have lottery type money we don't have. 

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Baseball recruiting is a balancing act you can get a great class of guys who commit but never play for your school because they go pro. So if you go for top players you must know them well enough that you feel they will play at least one year for you.  You don't want to play it so safe that the players will commit the sign and play but are not the top recruit that can get you to Post season play. 

Butch has done a very good job of this so far especially when you realize that other programs can sell Instate tuition for out of State players and have lottery type money we don't have. 

I'm sure Butch has gone after the top prospects, but even with our recent success, we're not as popular for top recruits as a few other SEC schools or even Texas in recent memory for example. Butch is trying to get us up there and to his credit, we're doing better. And yeah, Auburn lost Slate Alford last year to MSU because they could offer him a scholarship and in-state waivers. And from personal experience with some MSU baseball players from Alabama when they were in high school, they weren't book/test smart but still got the in-state waivers.

Edited by warbiscuit
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@warbiscuitplease feel free to move,

but i read somewhere that former AU recruit Gunnar Henderson was considered the #1 baseball prospect, or something to that effect.  wasn't sure what class he would have been in

@warbiscuitplease feel free to move,

but i read somewhere that former AU recruit Gunnar Henderson was considered the #1 baseball prospect, or something to that effect.  wasn't sure what class he would have been in

He would be in the 2019 class where 2020 would be his first season. I think he was the highest ranked recruit Butch got to commit with the #12 ranking(but sadly not go to campus), so this year would be his draft year theoretically.

Edited by warbiscuit