please read guys

aubiefifty

•  
  • aubiefifty
  • Silver Donor
  • 1449597387_silverdonor.png.428f02bd91de3
  • 9,495 posts
  • Interests:auburn is my heart. music is one of my main loves. big reader

man i love you guys on here and i am a worrier. i just lost another  two friends to covid yesterday. this is the second one that had THIS difference. alaina was 31 and the other friend was older but they all got covid, got well, and then got it again and it killed them both. just because you get it does not always mean you will be fine going forward. i am not going to preach about masks but i want you folks to be safe out there. there is still so much they do not know. please do not let your guard down. i need you guys to help keep me straight.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:
  •  
  • aubiefifty
  • Silver Donor
  • 9,495 posts

man i love you guys on here and i am a worrier. i just lost another  two friends to covid yesterday. this is the second one that had THIS difference. alaina was 31 and the other friend was older but they all got covid, got well, and then got it again and it killed them both. just because you get it does not always mean you will be fine going forward. i am not going to preach about masks but i want you folks to be safe out there. there is still so much they do not know. please do not let your guard down. i need you guys to help keep me straight.

of course i would screw this up. sorry i put it in recruiting by accident.

Sorry for the losses of your friends.  That is strange that they both had it, recovered, got it again and didn’t recover.  The virus seems to change characteristics daily.  It is so strange.  Nothing like we have ever seen.   Please know our Prayers are with you and the families of your friends. 

3 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Sorry for the losses of your friends.  That is strange that they both had it, recovered, got it again and didn’t recover.  The virus seems to change characteristics daily.  It is so strange.  Nothing like we have ever seen.   Please know our Prayers are with you and the families of your friends. 

ok they both did not die on the same day. i just woke up. but alaina did. young, smart, pretty, and a great heart. but the other guy thought he was ok as well and got it again.

Sorry for the loss of your friends.

The point you made about not being immune if you already had the virus is a very good one. If you have been sick before you are possibly not fully immune and you could still pass it to other people.

The number of patients in the hospital are decreasing every week since the the peak in early January, but still are 1.5 times higher than the previous peak in early August. People are still  dying every day.

Get vaccinated when you can and be safe until then.

sorry to hear about  your friends 50....We,too, have lost way too many friends. ..we live in a rural area and it has hit the two little towns around us really hard...I went from "screw a mask" to wearing one any time I leave the house, which isn't much....Another problem is that we have had many people around here get sick after they took the vaccine. From mild reactions to reactions that required hospitalization....Isolation is easy for us so we won't take the vaccine and since the virus has apparently mutated, the vaccine probably won't work. Antibodies should have prevented a second case of the same virus, and if they didn't neither will a vaccine. My doctor offered me the vaccine on Monday, as required. I asked him if he has taken it and he said "no"....I asked him if he was going to take it and he said,"as it stands right now?....no"

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Fifty, I am really sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with their families and with you. You're right, do not let your guard down. Things are improving, but it's not over yet and we don't know whether this is going to last. There's so much we don't know.  Everyone stay safe, stay distant, and keep it up. I promise that it's working.

2 hours ago, chizhead said:

sorry to hear about  your friends 50....We,too, have lost way too many friends. ..we live in a rural area and it has hit the two little towns around us really hard...I went from "screw a mask" to wearing one any time I leave the house, which isn't much....Another problem is that we have had many people around here get sick after they took the vaccine. From mild reactions to reactions that required hospitalization....Isolation is easy for us so we won't take the vaccine and since the virus has apparently mutated, the vaccine probably won't work. Antibodies should have prevented a second case of the same virus, and if they didn't neither will a vaccine. My doctor offered me the vaccine on Monday, as required. I asked him if he has taken it and he said "no"....I asked him if he was going to take it and he said,"as it stands right now?....no"

I'm sorry that you've lost friends as well.

I understand where you are coming from with the vaccine, but let me urge you again as a professional who is actively working on them right now - get the vaccine. I'm happy to chat via direct message to talk through your concerns if you'd like. I'm also happy to answer any questions at all for anyone, and if I don't know the answer I will find it. Feel free to reach out via DM or ask here.

The thing with the variants and the vaccine - the two mRNA vaccines we have are still highly effective against the typical SARS-nCoV-2 virus, and its still highly effective for the B.1.1.7 from Britain and the Brazil variant. It is less effective against the South Africa variant, but it is still preventing almost all serious infections with that. It makes it (and I hate to say it this way) more like the flu. It still is between 50-80% effective for preventing infection/illness entirely.

The variants are not a lost cause, they're not resetting our progress to zero, and the more people that take the vaccine, the less likely they are to circulate more and mutate more. We can get back to normal. I believe in work - hard work. We just need to buckle down and do what needs doing.

I hate to hear of this.

But it is in line with what my family doctor told me after I recovered. "Act as if you've never had it for you can't afford to catch it again"

Why people don't wear a mask in public is beyond me.

So sorry to hear this @aubiefifty. My family has lost one to this terrible disease. It is amazing how many healthy people it has taken out in my local community.  Our congressman elect was killed by it and he was in his early 40’s with no known health issues. Just crazy.

I’m curious. There was a thread a while back that several folks were getting ready to take the vaccine. @Auctoritas  @McLoofus @DAG weren’t all of y’all in that discussion? I hate to hijack this thread, so please move to the appropriate one if needed.

5 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

So sorry to hear this @aubiefifty. My family has lost one to this terrible disease. It is amazing how many healthy people it has taken out in my local community.  Our congressman elect was killed by it and he was in his early 40’s with no known health issues. Just crazy.

I’m curious. There was a thread a while back that several folks were getting ready to take the vaccine. @Auctoritas  @McLoofus @DAG weren’t all of y’all in that discussion? I hate to hijack this thread, so please move to the appropriate one if needed.

I'm taking as many as they will give me

4 hours ago, chizhead said:

The vaccine still offers some protection even if you are exposed to a variant, so please don't post that again. If you are vaccinated and come down with COVID you will have a milder case, and should recover quickly. Also, the stronger side effects have been mostly in women who got the Moderna vaccine. It is an indication that your immune system has kicked into high gear, so it's actually a good sign. The side effects occur after the 2nd dose. I had a very strong reaction, and felt really awful for 3 days, but I would do it all over again if I needed to because vaccinations are the best weapon we have right now. We can't get to heard immunity unless people get vaccinated. As far as antibodies after COVID......no one knows exactly how long they last. It depends on many things. But we do know that it's not a lifetime immunity. That's why it's recommended that EVEN IF YOU HAVE HAD COVID you should still get vaccinated. It's just like with the flu.....you get a flu shot every year because immunity does not last. COVID will be the same way. Now that it's here among the human population...we will always have it around, and people need to get vaccinated, then get boosters from time to time. 

I also had another friend die today from COVID.....and he suffered greatly. It is not a disease that you should roll the dice on because it can be deadly. I have lost 4 friends so far from COVID, and I am hoping not to lose anyone else. 

11 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

ok they both did not die on the same day. i just woke up. but alaina did. young, smart, pretty, and a great heart. but the other guy thought he was ok as well and got it again.

So sorry to hear about your friends fifty. I lost a friend today as well. This disease is a vicious enemy and it is causing so much heartache.

Sending prayers for you, and for the families.

12 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
  •  
  • aubiefifty
  • Silver Donor
  • 9,495 posts

I just lost my Aunt today, in Anniston.  She had been on a ventilator for two weeks.  Sepsis set in last week, and her organs stated to shut down.  

My heart breaks for you, Mate.  I know just how hard this is.  It literally sucks.  Stay safe, and know that you have my support.

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yes I’ve gotten both doses with minimal symptoms. A sore arm for both . Others have had worse symptoms after the second one . Lethargic , feverish , feeling like the flu. Otherwise I haven’t heard anything fatal.

9 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

@aubiefifty, sending love and strength your way. I am so sorry.

Refuge, I am so sorry for your loss as well, and good recall. I got the second round of the vaccine a week ago today. I feel great. I had about 48 hours of a slightly squirrely stomach and a little bit of fatigue but nothing major. No true nausea or headaches. So I was grateful for that. I got the Pfizer vaccine. Yes, everyone needs to get vaccinated as soon as they have the opportunity.

Reading the posts above and the losses of family and friends is a reminder that life is shorter than any of us expect and the pain of loss lasts longer than we want it to. So sorry for your losses. 

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes I’ve gotten both doses with minimal symptoms. A sore arm for both . Others have had worse symptoms after the second one . Lethargic , feverish , feeling like the flu. Otherwise I haven’t heard anything fatal.

It's really difficult - we're administering so many of these in such a short period of time it is dang near impossible to suss out vs normal population rates. We've not been able to confirm any with 100% "the vaccine caused this death." And there's an extremely robust surveillance and investigation system for it.

The reaction we worry about, the anaphylaxis: the rates are small. 2-3 for every 1M shots for the Moderna, 1 for ever 1M for the Pfizer. And outside of that, even if you had a second shot reaction that knocked you down hard for a couple of days, trust me - it's better than COVID, in almost every case.

(Need to note - not diminishing anyone's concerns outright, and not gainsaying you or your circle's experiences, but very very happy to talk about it).

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I actually have not had mine yet. I have to wait another week or so. My wife got ill in November and I was a guinea pig that received prophylactic monoclonal antibodies, and the recommendation is to wait at least 90 days just to be sure that they wouldn't affect the action of the vaccine.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Both of my parents and my in-laws have gotten theirs, along with lots of Aunts and Uncles. Almost all of them are quickly rolling into their second doses. A few have already had the second dose with some experiencing similar symptoms as you described.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

@aubiefifty, sending love and strength your way. I am so sorry.

Refuge, I am so sorry for your loss as well, and good recall. I got the second round of the vaccine a week ago today. I feel great. I had about 48 hours of a slightly squirrely stomach and a little bit of fatigue but nothing major. No true nausea or headaches. So I was grateful for that. I got the Pfizer vaccine. Yes, everyone needs to get vaccinated as soon as they have the opportunity.

Thanks bud. Glad to hear you got yours done! While I'm not designated as a "first responder" I know I could go get mine with my wildland firefighter/emergency responder credentials. I'm gonna wait my turn as there are a lot of people that need it worse than I do. 

12 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I'm gonna wait my turn as there are a lot of people that need it worse than I do. 

That's fair. And you don't work in the most crowded office. 

I’m sorry for your losses. I pray all of us will take this as serious as it is. A lot of pride of free will has likely led to a lot of death with this. Better to take it serious and be a bit disrupted than to continue to spread this deadly disease. 

• WarTiger changed the title to please read guys

Archived