2022 4* WR Darrius Clemons - Commits to Michigan

Paladin

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

His dad said it was Michigan being a good Academic school as well. 

Well, he's not wrong... but I don't know how much I believe that would be a reason, because neither Auburn nor Oregon is exactly a slouch in academics.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Well, he's not wrong... but I don't know how much I believe that would be a reason, because neither Auburn nor Oregon is exactly a slouch in academics.

Michigan is famously superior to both, as well as most other football factories.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Michigan is famously superior to both, as well as most other football factories.

they're nicknamed the Harvard of the midwest. Ohio State fans will take exception and laugh. But they're a great school. Auburn and Oregon... it depends on the program. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, you're right. But I still doubt academics really were the selling point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, you're right. But I still doubt academics really were the selling point.

Fair enough. It's certainly convenient and I'm sure other Michigan players have claimed it somewhat disingenuously. 

But, also, a lot of of Michigan players have probably claimed it... genuous...ly...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

they're nicknamed the Harvard of the midwest. Ohio State fans will take exception and laugh. But they're a great school. Auburn and Oregon... it depends on the program. 

At least with Auburn, we don't have many weak points scholastically for a predominately technical college. I was reaching when I put AU in the same category as Michigan, at least reputation wise, but I don't know that I would call any of the colleges at Auburn University less than strong. We don't have a law school or a medical school, so we can't compete in those areas, but it's not because the programs aren't good, it's because they don't exist.

45 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Be careful. I made a similar comment about wasting too much time on certain kids trying to get them here and it upset some of the crowd. 

As I said I can understand staying in Oregon, I can understand following Cristobal to Miami. I don't understand slinking of to Michigan as soon as they slide in your DMs.

Has nothing to do with bailing on kids if they don't show an undying passion for Auburn as soon as they're offered a scholarship.

*Edit* I'm sure I'm being hyperbolic, but your previous posts sure came off that way.

Edited by JBiGGiE

7 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I don't understand slinking of to Michigan as soon as they slide in your DMs.

No offense, but I'm thinking maybe you just don't want to understand.

-He lived in Michigan until he was 10
-Of the elite football programs in the country, Michigan is one of the best- if not the best- academic institutions
-Elite football program as in they are in the playoffs as I type this

Why does it have to be "slinking off"? What does that even mean? The kid just made a home run decision for his future. Why does it have to be personal?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I mean, we aren't a terrible academic institution but we aren't in the same league as Michigan 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

-Of the elite football programs in the country, Michigan is one of the best- if not the best- academic institutions

Why does it have to be "slinking off"? What does that even mean? The kid just made a home run decision for his future. Why does it have to be personal?

I take major offense to them being one of the elite football programs!!! lol One of the most overrated programs ever. They had not won s*** until this year for several years. They also had lost 15 of 16 to Ohio State until they won this season. They have 1 Natty since 1948 lmao. I get they are the winningest program in college football history but they are low on the hardware. I think they are on the low end of all the "blue bloods".

Edited by GwillMac6

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

they are low on the hardware. 

...and in the playoffs. And they've got the 6th-most active players in the NFL- only 2 behind uga.

You're not wrong, but *right now* neither am I.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Because I'm an irrational Auburn football fan. Because it feels like we did everything right to try and get him. I get the state of Michigan connection, I do. I can even understand Michigan objectively being better for him.

I just have my doubts that it took him an official visit to know it's where he wanted to go. I mean, you're selling me on it and neither of us have ov'd there... I mean he and his folks said academics was what sold them. To me, it just seems like there was plenty of time to be like "Hey, Coach Harsin. I know y'all want to schedule that in home visit, but I'm leaning Michigan."

It just has a stench of getting played...

10 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Because I'm an irrational Auburn football fan. Because it feels like we did everything right to try and get him. I get the state of Michigan connection, I do. I can even understand Michigan objectively being better for him.

I just have my doubts that it took him an official visit to know it's where he wanted to go. I mean, you're selling me on it and neither of us have ov'd there... I mean he and his folks said academics was what sold them. To me, it just seems like there was plenty of time to be like "Hey, Coach Harsin. I know y'all want to schedule that in home visit, but I'm leaning Michigan."

It just has a stench of getting played...

Gotcha. But it's not like he was in our backyard, or like he went to one of our rivals. This guy was a long shot (literally) from day one but we kept pushing because he was just that good and we had a foot in the door. 

Let me put it another way: What would be his motivation for "playing" us? This isn't a Rashaan Evans situation. I can't imagine there's some long standing family grudge. And it's not a George Pickens situation. There's no bowl cut jackass puppet master behind the scenes pulling strings. 

The kid thought he was going to Oregon to play for a coach he loved and then that coach left. Things got kinda crazy for him kinda fast. He ended up making a good decision. I don't think we need to overthink it or ascribe malice. 

You don't tell teams how you are feeling just like the team don't tell you until they have a signature that hey this higher rated guy became available and we replaced you..... 

The people that have a hard time should look at it as if they were being recruited for a job by 4 different companies and how when your decision is finally made no part of it was personal. Just because you love Auburn doesn't mean everybody has to love it, because to be very very honest Auburn doesn't give a damn about them just like they don't you or me

• Like 3

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Fair enough. It's certainly convenient and I'm sure other Michigan players have claimed it somewhat disingenuously. 

But, also, a lot of of Michigan players have probably claimed it... genuous...ly...

I don't get why academics can't be the selling point

• Like 1

• Paladin changed the title to 2022 4* WR Darrius Clemons - Commits to Michigan
17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't get why academics can't be the selling point

Because some people on here believe that no other schools are as good as Auburn, in anything.   But the truth is that auburn is just the school that people on here cheer for, and many other schools are on the same level as auburn 

18 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I Agree to an extent this analogy.

All my family lived in Pennsylvania, and I lived there till I was 13 before my family moved to Alabama. When I got older and got married, I truly wanted to go back and live where I grew up and most of my family still lived.

So he could be honest with that logic. BUT, I also think he never was going to come to Auburn TBH. Some guys like a school a lot and include them in their final, but when there top ones change, they simply don't want to pull the trigger on a school they simply 'liked'.

If Michigan had not wanted him, I really think he would have stayed in Oregon, or gone to Miami. Just the way he felt.

Edited by steeleagle

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree to an extent this analogy.

All my family lived in Pennsylvania, and I lived there till I was 13 before my family moved to Alabama. When I got older and got married, I truly wanted to go back and live where I grew up and most of my family still lived.

So he could be honest with that logic. BUT, I also think he never was going to come to Auburn TBH. Some guys like a school a lot and include them in their final, but when there top ones change, they simply don't want to pull the trigger on a school they simply 'liked'.

If Michigan had not wanted him, I really think he would have stayed in Oregon, or gone to Miami. Just the way he felt.

Don't disagree with any of this. I just don't see anything wrong with how he arrived at his decision. I think maybe some Auburn fans feel like we were given assurances of which we have no actual evidence of having received. 

If folks want to be emotional about not landing him, I get that. But that should never turn into insults directed at the recruits unless it's known that they intentionally misled the staff. Which does happen. Rashaan Evans, George Pickens, their daddies and their coaches can kiss Pat Sullivan's statue's ass. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't disagree with any of this. I just don't see anything wrong with how he arrived at his decision. I think maybe some Auburn fans feel like we were given assurances of which we have no actual evidence of having received. 

If folks want to be emotional about not landing him, I get that. But that should never turn into insults directed at the recruits unless it's known that they intentionally misled the staff. Which does happen. Rashaan Evans, George Pickens, their daddies and their coaches can kiss Pat Sullivan's statue's ass. 

I don't either, especially when the info we get from 'insiders' tend to fuel rabid recruiting fans. You've seen it many years on here, that some fans almost take it personally, not knowing the recruit at all.

I agree, the players that I tell 'GTH' are the ones that do it on purpose and with no respect to our coaches that spend so much time talking to them, recruiting them. When recruits string you along(bc of parent's influence many times), and know they are being underhanded in their recruitment and their commitments told to a HC even up to signing day, then I don't want them to be successful. 

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I don't either, especially when the info we get from 'insiders' tend to fuel rabid recruiting fans. You've seen it many years on here, that some fans almost take it personally, not knowing the recruit at all.

I agree, the players that I tell 'GTH' are the ones that do it on purpose and with no respect to our coaches that spend so much time talking to them, recruiting them. When recruits string you along(bc of parent's influence many times), and know they are being underhanded in their recruitment and their commitments told to a HC even up to signing day, then I don't want them to be successful. 

It's interesting that we had one of each yesterday. 

Recruiting can be so gross.