2022 4* WR Darrius Clemons - Commits to Michigan

Paladin

7 minutes ago, AUreo said:

Not sure what else we could do other than winning.

2022 was never going to be a wow year for us, but it will help our chances in 2023 and beyond if we can get some kids drafted highly next April.

Also, whether we win or not, we're putting a very desirable product on the field on offense. These numbers aren't eye popping but what does jump out is the balance. Everyone eats. And, unless we regress too badly when we face better defenses again, we're showing development on the OL. That'll be another key. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Yeah, well, why is this happening to us while we’re having a surprisingly good season? We’re supposedly trailing for Williams as well. This staff has so far done a magnificent job on the field and they deserve credit for that, but I still question their recruiting abilities to say the least. Need at least one more 4* commit to get us in the top 20–we seem to have a shot at Woody but FSU seems to be (gradually) improving, so let’s pull for them to lose out!

Pretty sure the only reason Clemons is looking at Auburn is because Harsin was in on this guy while  at Boise.   So the 'staff'  is why we have any chance with Clemons.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

2022 was never going to be a wow year for us, but it will help our chances in 2023 and beyond if we can get some kids drafted highly next April.

Also, whether we win or not, we're putting a very desirable product on the field on offense. These numbers aren't eye popping but what does jump out is the balance. Everyone eats. And, unless we regress too badly when we face better defenses again, we're showing development on the OL. That'll be another key. 

As silly as it sounds, being one of the hats on the table earns respect. This type of final 3/5/7 is big for us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, metafour said:
Steve Wilfong and Brandon Huffman (national guys) just put in high-confidence CB's on Clemons to Oregon. KN is apparently likely to follow suit. Looks like we lost that one, oh well 😕

The fact that we weren't just in it but leading is a testament to this staff and their abilities.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Antonio Williams has always been a take and not a back-up plan. Auburn now needs  to go full-court press.

Auburn needs him to make the wide receiver class complete.

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The fact that we weren't just in it but leading is a testament to this staff and their abilities.

this staff does seem to be better coaches for sure, esp with game prep and adjustments, but we need someone to close the deal.  being 2nd in a recruit's choice is the same as being 50th.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

this staff does seem to be better coaches for sure, esp with game prep and adjustments, but we need someone to close the deal.  being 2nd in a recruit's choice is the same as being 50th.

Im interested to see if we do have any closers and we just don't know it yet

22 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

being 2nd in a recruit's choice is the same as being 50th.

With regards to that one recruit, yes. With regards to the perception of the program among all recruits, I don't agree.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

being 2nd in a recruit's choice is the same as being 50th.

With the transfer portal being a growing (and permanent) development, this just isn't true. It obviously sucks to miss out on a player you thought you had for so long, but building that relationship is still valuable. The kid could have underclassmen on his his own HS team that maybe now know something about Auburn that they otherwise wouldn't have even considered. Mario Cristobal could take the LSU job in a month or two, who knows.

On the WR front; Marquarius White who is committed to Tennessee is another one to watch. He's a slot guy so he doesn't exactly fill a need, but he's a good player and really fast. Auburn is still keeping tabs on him.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Being second round 1 is better than being 50th for round 2 -tranfer portal speaking that is. 

33 minutes ago, AUreo said:

WR Sategna just decommited from Oregon and is now committed to Arkansas…when it rains it pours.

So if arky can flip a duck WR commit, maybe we can secure a commit from an uncommitted one?!?

assuming arky holds onto this guy...that’s what I’m talking about-closing the deal.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

So if arky can flip a duck WR commit, maybe we can secure a commit from an uncommitted one?!?

assuming arky holds onto this guy...that’s what I’m talking about-closing the deal.  

Yeah, if Arky can beat out Oregon for a 4*, I feel like we should be able to meet our recruiting goals--I go back and forth on how confident I am that we can do that of course.

The kid is literally from Arkansas. Which means that he falls under the exact same category as Clemons, so its the same phenomenon playing in both cases. The moral of the story: it's hard to pull a kid across the country away from the hometown team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, metafour said:

The kid is literally from Arkansas. Which means that he falls under the exact same category as Clemons, so its the same phenomenon playing in both cases. The moral of the story: it's hard to pull a kid across the country away from the hometown team.

Yes, he is from Fayetteville, AR + he was initially committed to TX A&M, then Oregon, and now Arkansas...

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

With regards to that one recruit, yes. With regards to the perception of the program among all recruits, I don't agree.

Have to go against the grain on this one. This was clearly a high priority recruit that we spent a lot of time on and needed to land. Either you get him or you don’t. Most of the comments here feel a little too rosy to me. 

Harsin is exceeding expectations as a coach. Recruiting is still a question mark. It’s fair to say that until it isn’t. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Have to go against the grain on this one. This was clearly a high priority recruit that we spent a lot of time on and needed to land.

Agree. Lots to be happy about with this staff and the programs direction. But we need to start winning more of these types of battles. Ole Miss landed Corral from California. 

4 hours ago, AUwent said:

Yeah, if Arky can beat out Oregon for a 4*, I feel like we should be able to meet our recruiting goals--I go back and forth on how confident I am that we can do that of course.

we-know.gif

d498e302b9ef687c68e5ca2d5cf43dab_w200.gi

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, cbo said:

Have to go against the grain on this one. This was clearly a high priority recruit that we spent a lot of time on and needed to land. Either you get him or you don’t. Most of the comments here feel a little too rosy to me. 

Harsin is exceeding expectations as a coach. Recruiting is still a question mark. It’s fair to say that until it isn’t. 

I don't think I made a point that disputes any of that. I was only responding to the notion that it doesn't matter that we were close on this kid, or that the name Auburn was positively associated with him for a long time. 

While I'm optimistic on our recruiting in general, I haven't at any point told anyone they need to be, also.

As for winning battles, we have won some. It's not like we haven't won any. Yes, we need to win some more, but no we don't necessarily "need" to pull a sought-after wide receiver out of Oregon's backyard. Cristobal is one of the top recruiters in the country, Oregon is a very attractive program, and wide receiver just became a big need for them, too. There are limits to what is reasonable to expect from a coach who hasn't finished his first season yet. 

This reminds me a little bit of the conversation about wide receivers having to catch anything they get their fingertips on. A ball is thrown behind and four feet over a guy and he does some Suni Lee ish just to even have a chance at it, and folks say that he touched it so he should have caught it. It's not a perfect metaphor but the situations aren't entirely dissimilar.

I apologize to those who have already heard me say it a million times, but I am unconcerned with recruiting until 2023. If that class comes and goes without making us smile, then my keyboard pitchfork will be ablaze.

PS- Wide receiver might be one of the most plug and play positions on the field that can be addressed with transfers. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

A top 15-20 Harsin class is a lot better than a top 10 gus class because we can actually get excited about their development and being put in the best position to succeed. 

Amen. One thing Harsin has apparently bought with him from Boise is redshirting more guys. He redshirted most of this past class including some of our highest rated recruits like Dylan Brooks, Lee Hunter, and Tarvarish Dawson. That’s going to pay off with the way he focuses on development. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

He redshirted most of this past class including some of our highest rated recruits like Dylan Brooks, Lee Hunter, and Tarvarish Dawson.

Great point and just one more little splash of sunshine on this season and this staff.

• Like 1