2022 4* WR Darrius Clemons - Commits to Michigan

Paladin

Just gonna say you don't play a high school football game, take a 4AM flight, hang out in Auburn all weekend, bring your coaches and family if you're not incredibly invested in a school.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Just gonna say you don't play a high school football game, take a 4AM flight, hang out in Auburn all weekend, bring your coaches and family if you're not incredibly invested in a school.

True. That Oregon staff has some really good recruiters though. Was hoping to get a commitment before they got him in for an official. Hopefully they continue to struggle on the field 

Edited by fredst

1 minute ago, fredst said:

True. That Oregon staff has some really good recruiters though. Was hoping to get a commitment before they got him in for an official. Hopefully they continue to struggle on the field 

I think Oregon is letting him visit even though they don't have the room to take him anyways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

I think Oregon is letting him visit even though they don't have the room to take him anyways.

Teams always have room for a top talent. The question is how much he likes us and if his family is ok being so far away.

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Teams always have room for a top talent. The question is how much he likes us and if his family is ok being so far away.

Good thing is Auburn and Penn State about equal in that regard

39 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He said point blank that distance is not a factor. 

• Like 1

So we still confident on this guy? I hope him not committing changes things? He could be a silent commit.

Is his visit to PSU for our game? If I had to pick for that game I would def pick PSU right now so I hope we aren’t necessarily dependent on winning that one for him.

Edited by AUwent

Under 2 hrs for him to drive to the state's flagship school, which there's probably a ton of local pressure for him to do. It would only make sense for him to go get loved on a little in Eugene and catch a game before committing elsewhere. 

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Under 2 hrs for him to drive to the state's flagship school, which there's probably a ton of local pressure for him to do. It would only make sense for him to go get loved on a little in Eugene and catch a game before committing elsewhere. 

With campus bans last year has he even been to an Oregon or PSU game? Could whiteout win him over? As of Monday everything looked great for us with him, so hope it still does.

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

So we still confident on this guy? I hope him not committing changes things? He could be a silent commit.

Is his visit to PSU for our game? If I had to pick for that game I would def pick PSU right now so I hope we aren’t necessarily dependent on winning that one for him.

Never underestimate Mario Cristobal as a recruiter and Phil Knight as a potential NIL force.

21 minutes ago, tinman said:

Never underestimate Mario Cristobal as a recruiter and Phil Knight as a potential NIL force.

There's the unknown factor, with this recruit and all others. The NIL ruling has changed recruiting in ways that we who follow it have yet to fully grasp. No recruit the quality of Clemons will be recruited simply off a scholarship offer. Which school comes up with how many $ will be part of the equation.

• Sad 2
  • Dislike 1

30 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There's the unknown factor, with this recruit and all others. The NIL ruling has changed recruiting in ways that we who follow it have yet to fully grasp. No recruit the quality of Clemons will be recruited simply off a scholarship offer. Which school comes up with how many $ will be part of the equation.

I would like to know if AUburn is using NIL as part of their recruiting process with guys like this and if they are, what enticements are they offering?

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I would like to know if AUburn is using NIL as part of their recruiting process with guys like this and if they are, what enticements are they offering?

Nobody but the staff and a few donors know. It's supposed to be impermissible to mention extra benefits before a player signs.  If you need a bigger laugh than that I wouldn't know where to look. The funny papers sure don't have one.                                                     

• Haha 1

Yes Oregon has a lot of recruiting power but we need to start winning these sorts of battles pronto if the Harsin era is going to be a success (I of course am still skeptical). Especially against a team that’s pretty much stacked already at WR in this class. Clearly things have been going really well with DC lately, so it would be a shock if things have suddenly changed in just four days. Hopefully Oregon’s narrow win over Fresno is a preview of how they’ll do but then again the P12 North is pillow soft this year.

Edited by AUwent

Quick question - and yes I did the thumbs down on @Mikey post because I hate that he is right and this is now a reality...

Question - could Clemmons be a silent commit?   Maybe this was covered and I missed it. 

Most plausible is that he will visit PSU and oregon is trying to package NIL $$, but I am hoping this is not the case otherwise we will lose. 

All the pessimism here... chill. We gotta stop this “if coach doesnt land this guy” or “coach needs to land this guy”. Im not saying be a sunshine pumper but you gotta find the positives. 

not to opine- my dad always told me- youve got two choices- sit in the corner and cry about it or get up and do something about it. 

ftr- i think we get him. And if we dont i think we find another wr. Aint worried ab it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDUBB4AU said:

He is a silent 

You know this?

11 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

All the pessimism here... chill. We gotta stop this “if coach doesnt land this guy” or “coach needs to land this guy”. Im not saying be a sunshine pumper but you gotta find the positives. 

not to opine- my dad always told me- youve got two choices- sit in the corner and cry about it or get up and do something about it. 

ftr- i think we get him. And if we dont i think we find another wr. Aint worried ab it. 

We need to start beating other strong programs for players, especially when the other two programs he's considering are already in the top 10 recruiting rankings. Everything looked great for us as of Monday, and possibly it still is. But I echo Beaker's concerns about Oregon's NIL abilities (can we please get Tim Cook on line?) and PSU's atmosphere, I hate the idea of having to beat them to get DC.

Edited by AUwent

Oregon is up 21-7 on tOSU. While it's always a plus when any of UAT, UGA, tOSU, Oklahoma, or Clemson don't make the playoff, should we worry about this impacting DC's recruitment? 

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Oregon is up 21-7 on tOSU. While it's always a plus when any of UAT, UGA, tOSU, Oklahoma, or Clemson don't make the playoff, should we worry about this impacting DC's recruitment? 

nope

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/10/2021 at 5:21 PM, Beaker said:

Quick question - and yes I did the thumbs down on @Mikey post because I hate that he is right and this is now a reality...

Question - could Clemmons be a silent commit?   Maybe this was covered and I missed it. 

Most plausible is that he will visit PSU and oregon is trying to package NIL $$, but I am hoping this is not the case otherwise we will lose. 

It is not even remotely a given that Oregon or anyone else will beat us for recruits just by offering more money. That is true of some recruits just like it always has been but it is not true of most. 

Most of these kids have other priorities like having a good college experience and getting to the NFL and most of them will go to the places where they think they can get those things. Same as it ever was. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It is not even remotely a given that Oregon or anyone else will beat us for recruits just by offering more money. That is true of some recruits just like it always has been but it is not true of most. 

Most of these kids have other priorities like having a good college experience and getting to the NFL and most of them will go to the places where they think they can get those things. Same as it ever was. 

I truly hope you are spot on....I see a world where people seem to be so driven by material things and money, it is disappointing.  And what you say should stand the test of time....now where is that pump, so I can go spread some sunshine?   Heading to the garage to find it! 

• Love 1

21 hours ago, AUwent said:

It's one game, one data point.   

• Like 1