Men Vs UK

Maverick.AU

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

I would say regressing and not growing. This team is gaining experience, but I do not see any evidence of improvement at all. They simply are not a good team. Not even an average team, and one could argue that they are getting worse, not better. I know they are young, but by game 22, I would hope to see some solid evidence that this team has a very bright future. I still don't see it. It is all based on potential and hearsay, not results. I guarantee you CBP is very disappointed in the progress of this team though he would never say it. There still seems to be very little team chemistry too, do dysfunctional at times. I didn't expect much for the season, but they are honestly even worse than I expected. It is very obvious why CBP volunteered a post-season ban lol We are a bad basketball team right now.

I thinkĀ the biggest problem is having literally one guy on the roster who can dribble/pass the basketball right now (and he has only played about 10-12 games). HavingĀ a decent backup PG and/or a shooting guard with some better handles would helpĀ the offense through some of the sloppy stages. If Cooper returns and if Powell can make it back (along with Trey Alexander), I think this will get a lot better next year and things will start to click. If those things don't happen, Bruce will have to find a grad transfer.Ā 

We just played a wretched second half against a bunch of 5-stars in Rupp, and were still basically one or two less turnovers away from winning.Ā 

38 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

I thinkĀ the biggest problem is having literally one guy on the roster who can dribble/pass the basketball right now (and he has only played about 10-12 games). HavingĀ a decent backup PG and/or a shooting guard with some better handles would helpĀ the offense through some of the sloppy stages. If Cooper returns and if Powell can make it back (along with Trey Alexander), I think this will get a lot better next year and things will start to click. If those things don't happen, Bruce will have to find a grad transfer.Ā 

We just played a wretched second half against a bunch of 5-stars in Rupp, and were still basically one or two less turnovers away from winning.Ā 

I don't doubt we can be better next season. I'm just not on board that it is a "given" that we will be as good as so many seem to think. The small things/signs that you look for outside of wins/losses just haven't been there.

As for UK...UK was 5-13, averaging 33 points in the second half this season, and hung 52 on us. We show very quick glimpses every now and then, some players show glimpses too, but overall, we are an ugly basketball team in most every facet of the game. They are so hard to watch. Just not much to hang your hat on. I guess the thing that bothers me the most is the lack of chemistry and functionality that seems to still exist. Maybe another off-season fixes that.

9 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

1-12...Are you referring to our roster or our 3 pt shooting? šŸ˜›

The roster. One out of 12 (Thor) is showing improvement.

Thor had his best Offensive game and was stronger on the boards but the Okeke comparison is not even close. They are different players. I believe Okeke can grow and become a great player in his own way but it is different then Okeke. Cambridge has become more consistent he does not have a beautiful shot but his percentage is up, he is attacking more and his defense has improved these are the little things I see. Flanagan is better then last year but as teams have scouted him he is not as productive. The more the SEC has seen of Cooper the better they play against him not all of that is on Cooper. The team on Offense is not moving enough forcing Cooper to try and beat his man one on one to often.Ā  Playing together will improve a lot of that. One thing Powell did well before his injury is move without the ball so he was in a position to catch and shoot.Ā  Cardwell has progressed this year. He is actually looking at the defense when we have the ball and timing his cuts to the basket so that he gets easy dunks on great passes from Cooper.Ā 

We don't have a defensive identity as a team. At times we take advantage of our length and cover passing lanes and get steals, at times we stick to ball handler like glue and switch on the pick and roll and at otherĀ times we play matador defense all of this is what you see with a young team.Ā  Next year everybody is talking about Jabari Smith who is a super talented player but we have some very talented players in that position right now.Ā  I think the biggest help to our team next year will be Alexander he is a complete scoring shooting guard a pure shooter from three ability to score off dribble by driving to rack or pulling up and hitting the mid range shot. Alexander has a very good handle on the ball who can maneuver in a crowd. It has been a long time since Auburn has had a complete SG. Brown was a pure shooter who developed aĀ drive but never really developed a consistent middle pull up jump shot and did not have a great handle on the ball.Ā 

Assuming Cooper is back having a player like Alexander will open things up for everybody.Ā  That is why despite how bad we have played at times this year, I think we will be much better next year.Ā  We are the youngest team in the NCAA that does matter. Next year we will have a lot of players one year older and that will make a difference.

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Thor had his best Offensive game and was stronger on the boards but the Okeke comparison is not even close

Wrong. Okeke did not shine except in spots as a freshman. Thor is supposed to be a high school senior! right now. A year of nutrition and weights, plus a year of maturity and confidence, you can look out next season. He appeared to come out of his shell at UK and the ball should have been going to him instead of Coop driving and getting stuffed late in the game

The way Auburn has played, this season is a wash. Even if Auburn makes it to the SEC tournament, I don't see AU going very far because they can't hold any kind of lead.

11 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

The way Auburn has played, this season is a wash. Even if Auburn makes it to the SEC tournament, I don't see AU going very far because they can't hold any kind of lead.

doesn't matter....we are not in the tourney to begin with

14 hours ago, chizhead said:

Wrong. Okeke did not shine except in spots as a freshman. Thor is supposed to be a high school senior! right now. A year of nutrition and weights, plus a year of maturity and confidence, you can look out next season. He appeared to come out of his shell at UK and the ball should have been going to him instead of Coop driving and getting stuffed late in the game

I didn't say Thor wasn't good I even said he would shine in his own way but Okeke and Thor are different types of talent. I said you can't compare them because they play a different type of game.Ā  If we were playing a team and somebody from 1-3 got hot we could put Okeke on them Thor can't do that. Thor has a better outside shot thanĀ Okeke,Ā  Thor is 6'10" inches but is not strong enough yet he will get stronger. He showed signs of that against KY.Ā  Okeke was a great post passer who flashed to the Post then back out to wings. Okeke could catch the ball at the post and drive through traffic to score inside. Thor can drive to basket from post when a lane is open but in heavy traffic because he is so tall his dribble is to high.Ā 

Offensively Thor because of his shot and his height if he adds muscle will probably be a better Offensive player than Okeke but never the type of defensive player. In the Ole Miss game we could have put Okeke on the Ole Miss guard that same guard would blow past Thor.Ā  That is not a knock on Thor nobody expects a 6'10" SF/PF to cover a hot shooting PG.Ā Ā Ā 

When I say you can't compare the two I am not talking talent or potential I am talking Skill set they are totally different type of players.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I didn't say Thor wasn't good I even said he would shine in his own way but Okeke and Thor are different types of talent. I said you can't compare them because they play a different type of game.Ā  If we were playing a team and somebody from 1-3 got hot we could put Okeke on them Thor can't do that. Thor has a better outside shot thanĀ Okeke,Ā  Thor is 6'10" inches but is not strong enough yet he will get stronger. He showed signs of that against KY.Ā  Okeke was a great post passer who flashed to the Post then back out to wings. Okeke could catch the ball at the post and drive through traffic to score inside. Thor can drive to basket from post when a lane is open but in heavy traffic because he is so tall his dribble is to high.Ā 

Offensively Thor because of his shot and his height if he adds muscle will probably be a better Offensive player than Okeke but never the type of defensive player. In the Ole Miss game we could have put Okeke on the Ole Miss guard that same guard would blow past Thor.Ā  That is not a knock on Thor nobody expects a 6'10" SF/PF to cover a hot shooting PG.Ā Ā Ā 

When I say you can't compare the two I am not talking talent or potential I am talking Skill set they are totally different type of players.

All of this. I feel guilty because I mentioned Chuma and JT in a post comparing them. What I meant was I thought that as freshmen they showed potential to be our best players but at times were excessively deferential to the guys around them. JT I think can be an offensive force and also has shown to be a good shot blocker but less the passer/strong defender/creator that Chuma was. As stated, much better than me, they are completely different players but with potential to be outstanding in their own way.

Archived