Jump to content
Null

Spring Practice To Start March 16


Recommended Posts

Auburn sets start date for spring practice

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
2 minutes

Auburn fall camp

Smoke Monday (21) Auburn football practice in helmets on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2020 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

The first practices of the Bryan Harsin era are about a month away.

Auburn teased the start of spring practice on Saturday evening, tweeting out a short video clip to generate excitement for the spring season while announcing that practices will begin in 31 days. That puts the start of spring practices on Tuesday, March 16 -- tracking with what Harsin said last month about aiming for a mid-March start date.

It will be Auburn’s first opportunity to practice under Harsin, who took over the program in late December after the program parted ways with former coach Gus Malzahn. This spring will also mark a return to a semblance of normalcy after the coronavirus pandemic wiped out spring practices and Auburn’s annual A-Day spring game last year, forcing the team into an all-virtual installation period while players were away from campus.

Auburn will have up to 15 practices this spring to install Harsin and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo’s offense, as well as new defensive coordinator Derek Mason’s defense, culminating in A-Day, the date of which has yet to be announced by Auburn.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites




i wish he would allow folks to come watch a practice or two. being on a fixed income i wonder how folks can pay two hundred dollars for a basketball game is. i cannot imagine how much a football game is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • WarTiger changed the title to start date for spring practice
1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i wish he would allow folks to come watch a practice or two. being on a fixed income i wonder how folks can pay two hundred dollars for a basketball game is. i cannot imagine how much a football game is.

I want live simulcast of practice!  With Harsin mic’d up.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Has the March 16th date been confirmed for when practices start? That's less than 10 days away and there hasn't been that much buzz. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The NCAA should allow scheduling a FCS team for a Spring game (JC for some).  Limited time for the starters, I would pay just to see how the new faces performed (how much would you pay to see the quarterbacks efficiency/progressions/mechanics in throwing ?

We could pay the FCS school whatever they get in the Fall, they would get an extra off date which would be needed given their limited rosters and expanded playoff schedule, plus the games would give them more exposure.

We would treat this similar to a NFL preseason game.  You could cut the regular season back to 11 games for our players (1/12 less likely to have a injury and revenues would be equal, maybe more.

Bet the players would vote for this idea.

 

Little doc

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bryan Harsin breaks down Auburn's spring practice schedule

51 minutes ago

The first football practices of the Bryan Harsin era at Auburn are right around the corner.

After seven weeks of winter workouts, led by new strength and conditioning coach Jeff Pitman, the Tigers will begin spring football next Monday. With Auburn under new leadership in spring for the first time since 2013, fans and those within the program are excited to witness how Harsin approaches a critical period in building toward his first season on the Plains.

“I think the 15 practices in spring are maybe the most valuable practices you get in an entire year," Harsin said Monday on the Talking Tigers podcast with Andy Burcham of the AU Radio Network. "It sets the stage for your whole entire summer because in the summertime, that’s where the greatest development comes for a particular player — their strength, their speed, their football intelligence. All the things they’re preparing to execute during a season happens in the summer. You fine-tune that in fall camp, but where does it all come from? It comes from the spring.”

Auburn was a week away from spring ball last year when the COVID-19 pandemic shutdown hit the country.

“To not practice, that’s a difficult, difficult thing to do," Harsin said. "We went through it at Boise. … That was a challenge, and you could tell how it affected our football team in the summer and in fall camp and how we played. This is vital that we get these practices in. It’s important that we get a chance, especially being new, to see and maximize every single day and every rep on film that we can go back and show our players.”

Auburn will hit the field this spring on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Harsin said he likes to take a day in between — Tuesdays and Thursdays — to “watch the film and process what happened” on the previous day of practice, as well as “recover and refresh.”

Then the team will go straight from Friday into a Saturday practice, which Harsin said gives an “in-season feel” to the spring schedule and gets players prepared for what working on back-to-back days in the grind of the fall season feels like.

Auburn will scrimmage after the first two weeks of practice, then take a week off at the time of the semester that would usually mark spring break. The university isn’t observing spring break this year, with “wellness days” taking its place, but Harsin said he still thinks the players need that down time before closing out strong and working toward the spring game.

After returning from the week off, Harsin said the final two weeks of spring practice will be focused on “wrinkles” and introducing newer concepts and philosophies to the players, after coaches feel they’ve established a baseline for each position group in the weeks prior.

“That’s the best part about spring — it’s a test-and-tune time to be able to work on things,” Harsin said. “We can say hey, do we like this? Which direction do we want to go? Do we need to spend more time on fundamentals? It allows you flexibility.”

Harsin said the team is not yet where it needs to be heading into the spring, but that’s by design. They’ll be exactly where he and the coaching staff want them to be, developmentally, at all times. Harsin said he doesn’t want players or coaches getting ahead of themselves this winter, spring, summer or fall. 

His master plan is for the team as a whole to be peaking right before the first game, and not a moment sooner.

—> Conference brackets are set, and now you can get in the action by starting a CBS Sports pool with friends or play solo for your chance to win $10,000 in cash prizes. No purchase necessary; see rules for details <—

2COMMENTS

The program’s annual A-Day spring game is set for April 17. Auburn has yet to announce how the event will take place or what sort of COVID-19 restrictions will be in place for attendance. 

“We all hope that Jordan-Hare is full capacity and that we can get that experience with our fan base — we can have Tiger Walk, we can do all the things that make Auburn football so special,” Harsin said. “I feel like the excitement and that momentum really from our fans and people that support our program and are part of Auburn football — all that momentum makes a difference. It creates the culture. It creates the recruiting success. It creates the development of our team because we have the momentum; we have that energy and excitement behind what we’re doing. We can’t do that alone, so we need everybody to be a part of that.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, toddc said:

Harsin said the team is not yet where it needs to be heading into the spring, but that’s by design. They’ll be exactly where he and the coaching staff want them to be, developmentally, at all times. Harsin said he doesn’t want players or coaches getting ahead of themselves this winter, spring, summer or fall. 

His master plan is for the team as a whole to be peaking right before the first game, and not a moment sooner

People are going to over look this 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m excited to hear about the scrimmages and how well the offense is adapting to a more complex offense.  I’m also interested to see how the new staff lines up the Oline.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ellitor changed the title to Spring Practice To Start March 16

Man, football has changed SO much in the last 50+ years.  We used to be literally spent physically after the first 2-3 days of Spring practice. 

I really like the idea of using Tues and Thurs to review and re-coop. It makes so much sense.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, toddc said:

Bryan Harsin breaks down Auburn's spring practice schedule

51 minutes ago

The first football practices of the Bryan Harsin era at Auburn are right around the corner.

After seven weeks of winter workouts, led by new strength and conditioning coach Jeff Pitman, the Tigers will begin spring football next Monday. With Auburn under new leadership in spring for the first time since 2013, fans and those within the program are excited to witness how Harsin approaches a critical period in building toward his first season on the Plains.

“I think the 15 practices in spring are maybe the most valuable practices you get in an entire year," Harsin said Monday on the Talking Tigers podcast with Andy Burcham of the AU Radio Network. "It sets the stage for your whole entire summer because in the summertime, that’s where the greatest development comes for a particular player — their strength, their speed, their football intelligence. All the things they’re preparing to execute during a season happens in the summer. You fine-tune that in fall camp, but where does it all come from? It comes from the spring.”

Auburn was a week away from spring ball last year when the COVID-19 pandemic shutdown hit the country.

“To not practice, that’s a difficult, difficult thing to do," Harsin said. "We went through it at Boise. … That was a challenge, and you could tell how it affected our football team in the summer and in fall camp and how we played. This is vital that we get these practices in. It’s important that we get a chance, especially being new, to see and maximize every single day and every rep on film that we can go back and show our players.”

Auburn will hit the field this spring on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Harsin said he likes to take a day in between — Tuesdays and Thursdays — to “watch the film and process what happened” on the previous day of practice, as well as “recover and refresh.”

Then the team will go straight from Friday into a Saturday practice, which Harsin said gives an “in-season feel” to the spring schedule and gets players prepared for what working on back-to-back days in the grind of the fall season feels like.

Auburn will scrimmage after the first two weeks of practice, then take a week off at the time of the semester that would usually mark spring break. The university isn’t observing spring break this year, with “wellness days” taking its place, but Harsin said he still thinks the players need that down time before closing out strong and working toward the spring game.

After returning from the week off, Harsin said the final two weeks of spring practice will be focused on “wrinkles” and introducing newer concepts and philosophies to the players, after coaches feel they’ve established a baseline for each position group in the weeks prior.

“That’s the best part about spring — it’s a test-and-tune time to be able to work on things,” Harsin said. “We can say hey, do we like this? Which direction do we want to go? Do we need to spend more time on fundamentals? It allows you flexibility.”

Harsin said the team is not yet where it needs to be heading into the spring, but that’s by design. They’ll be exactly where he and the coaching staff want them to be, developmentally, at all times. Harsin said he doesn’t want players or coaches getting ahead of themselves this winter, spring, summer or fall. 

His master plan is for the team as a whole to be peaking right before the first game, and not a moment sooner.

—> Conference brackets are set, and now you can get in the action by starting a CBS Sports pool with friends or play solo for your chance to win $10,000 in cash prizes. No purchase necessary; see rules for details <—

2COMMENTS

The program’s annual A-Day spring game is set for April 17. Auburn has yet to announce how the event will take place or what sort of COVID-19 restrictions will be in place for attendance. 

“We all hope that Jordan-Hare is full capacity and that we can get that experience with our fan base — we can have Tiger Walk, we can do all the things that make Auburn football so special,” Harsin said. “I feel like the excitement and that momentum really from our fans and people that support our program and are part of Auburn football — all that momentum makes a difference. It creates the culture. It creates the recruiting success. It creates the development of our team because we have the momentum; we have that energy and excitement behind what we’re doing. We can’t do that alone, so we need everybody to be a part of that.”

Harsin is definitely methodical in his plans. It will interesting to see how this equates to on the field results, individually as well as a a whole team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Harsin is definitely methodical in his plans. It will interesting to see how this equates to on the field results, individually as well as a a whole team. 

I like it too. He seems very organized and type A. That will result in structure and structure requires discipline. I am so ready to see this new Auburn football culture. Spring rebirth, if you will. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 11:49 AM, aubiefifty said:

Auburn sets start date for spring practice

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
2 minutes

Auburn fall camp

Smoke Monday (21) Auburn football practice in helmets on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2020 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

The first practices of the Bryan Harsin era are about a month away.

Auburn teased the start of spring practice on Saturday evening, tweeting out a short video clip to generate excitement for the spring season while announcing that practices will begin in 31 days. That puts the start of spring practices on Tuesday, March 16 -- tracking with what Harsin said last month about aiming for a mid-March start date.

It will be Auburn’s first opportunity to practice under Harsin, who took over the program in late December after the program parted ways with former coach Gus Malzahn. This spring will also mark a return to a semblance of normalcy after the coronavirus pandemic wiped out spring practices and Auburn’s annual A-Day spring game last year, forcing the team into an all-virtual installation period while players were away from campus.

Auburn will have up to 15 practices this spring to install Harsin and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo’s offense, as well as new defensive coordinator Derek Mason’s defense, culminating in A-Day, the date of which has yet to be announced by Auburn.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I think they’re practicing M-W-F-Sa so would not start on a Tuesday.  It would start Mon Mar15 or We’d Mar 17 but not Tues Mar 16

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Pretty sure this is what he was referring, to.....

 

You People Tropic Thunder GIF - YouPeople TropicThunder RobertDowneyJr -  Discover & Share GIFs

 

53 minutes ago, dilligas said:

I think they’re practicing M-W-F-Sa so would not start on a Tuesday.  It would start Mon Mar15 or We’d Mar 17 but not Tues Mar 16

man you be freaking me out with that does it look like moniker and then caring.   lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

you were talking about the dates of practice and then i laughed because of your moniker......the does it look like i give a s............... and i typed all that and must have deleted part of it by mistake. apologies................

Link to post
Share on other sites

for the record i copied and pasted the article title so the writer screwed that one up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...