What was your first time in Jordan Hare?

bdc81

8 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

i also lived in Mag Hall and had a partial NROTC scholarship. I was the battalion exec. officer my senior year (1959).

My NROTC scholarship did not transfer with me from Penn State. So I just did 1st year NROTC since at that time everybody did 1 class each quarter ROTC at Auburn in 1969. All the Auburn NROTC slots had been filled. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1976, Homecoming vs FSU. 1st year for Barfield at AU and Papa Bowden at FSU.  Phil Gargis had over 100 yards rushing from the QB position, and DB Mike McCloud had a pick.  Only won 3 games that year, but this was one of 'em, 31-19. My Alabama fan dad took me several more times after that...miss him so bad.

1969 Auburn/UF game. John Reeves was UF QB and came into the game as a Heisman candidate. AU intercepted about 6 passes that day.  I sat in the wooden benches in the north end zone.

My first three trips were not positive. First in 1978, Auburn vs. Miami when Ottis Anderson ripped off a long run late in the game to set up a game winning field goal (17-15). I was sitting on the wooden bleachers in the north end zone. I was a sophomore in high school and was wearing my JROTC uniform to blend in with my father's national guard military police unit which directed traffic before the game. Second was the worst ever loss to Tennessee (42-0) in 1980 and third was when #3 Texas beat #5 Auburn 20-7 in 1983. I was so sunburned and had a gigantic cowbell headache. First win I saw in person was later in 1983 in the Legion Field tornado game (23-20) when Bo rushed for 256. Finally broke the Jordan Hare losing streak in 1986 when I saw Auburn return the favor to Tennessee 34-8.

20 hours ago, bdc81 said:

Parents took us to Auburn for homecoming vs UF at Cliff-Hare Stadium,  which was a 45,000 seat horseshoe in 1967

My first in JHS as well, had been to a few in B'ham.  Loved how all kids were allowed to line up in the north end zone and run onto the field after the game. Lucky ones were able to talk a player out of his chin strap.

3 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

1969 Auburn/UF game. John Reeves was UF QB and came into the game as a Heisman candidate. AU intercepted about 6 passes that day.  I sat in the wooden benches in the north end zone.

Try 9 INT's

October 29, 1994

Auburn defeated Arkansas 31 to 14.

Stephen Davis ran through and over the Arkansas defense for 246 yards. He scored three touchdowns and had a 53 yd touchdown. 

1974 vs Tenn.  Tennessee's first visit to the stadium.  They departed after losing 21-0.  AU drove to the 1-yd line 3 times that game, and then brought in a FB (name escapes me, now) to dive over for a TD 3 times that game.  Literally, his rushing stats for that game were 3 carries for 3-yds total, 3 TDs!   

6 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

1974 vs Tenn.  Tennessee's first visit to the stadium.  They departed after losing 21-0.  AU drove to the 1-yd line 3 times that game, and then brought in a FB (name escapes me, now) to dive over for a TD 3 times that game.  Literally, his rushing stats for that game were 3 carries for 3-yds total, 3 TDs!   

That name was Kenny Burks. 1974 a fun year. Lost to Bammer in a heartbreaker for me. Destroyed Texas in the Gator Bowl

https://birdlecroy.com/2016/02/08/40-years-ago-the-1974-auburn-tigers/

My first Auburn game was in 1963 and not in Jordan Hare Stadium it was named Cliff Hare Stadium back then.   I remember the game was against Chattanooga and Jimmy Sidle and Tucker Fredrickson ran all over them.   Auburn won 28-0 or something like that.  

1 hour ago, AUloggerhead said:

I remember that game well I was a student then.  Tennessee had negative yards rushing.  The students threw oranges at them when they came out of the tunnel because their basketball coach insulted our midget manager on the basketball team the season before.  Plus they argued about not wanting to come to Auburn since we had been playing them in Birmingham.  

Bitter cold wet night in north alabama.  Good memories with a hot drink. Yardbarker rated us in the top 5 in on campus stadiums was the reason for the post, could not get the link to appear.

We were highly rated for the build of the stadium creating noise and a home field advantage and for our pre game ceremonies that have been copied.

Spent two summers in Auburn as a temporary orphan while my mother worked on her masters.  Could walk up the Opelika Hwy with some co-orphan friends collecting soft drink bottles to cash in at the A&P, cross town to play a few games of pool as the the pool halls were empty.  Swim later, play tennis, sneak onto the colosseum BB  court, onto the football field rarely.  Watch "color TV" at the Baptist student center if we behaved for 30 minutes.  Ice cream at the SaniFreeze and Dixie Youth baseball after a TV dinner.  Live was grand on the plains.   If I stole your sports illustrated or Playboy magazine out of the Apt mailbox they were put to good use and highly appreciated.

Little doc

9 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

1976, Homecoming vs FSU. 1st year for Barfield at AU and Papa Bowden at FSU.  Phil Gargis had over 100 yards rushing from the QB position, and DB Mike McCloud had a pick.  Only won 3 games that year, but this was one of 'em, 31-19. My Alabama fan dad took me several more times after that...miss him so bad.

My first too.

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

That name was Kenny Burks. 1974 a fun year. Lost to Bammer in a heartbreaker for me. Destroyed Texas in the Gator Bowl

https://birdlecroy.com/2016/02/08/40-years-ago-the-1974-auburn-tigers/

I was certain someone on here would remember!  Thanks! 

LSU game, 1994. I moved into Glenn Hall in the lower quad that weekend to start my Auburn education. I was for sure the streak was going to end that day the way we were playing. Then the 4th quarter happened. You know the rest. To this day, I still can’t believe what I saw!

First Auburn game I ever saw in person was the 1990 Peach Bowl vs Indiana. Another great finish in that one as well.

14 hours ago, Paladin said:

October 29, 1994

Auburn defeated Arkansas 31 to 14.

Stephen Davis ran through and over the Arkansas defense for 246 yards. He scored three touchdowns and had a 53 yd touchdown. 

My first was 2 weeks later, AU vs UGA. Stephen Davis ran all over 'em. Felt like we dominated the game, but Hawkins pushed the potential GW field goal wide and we had to settle for a 23-23 tie to break AU's winning 20 game Bowden win streak. That 4th quarter was the loudest environment I've ever been in.

1985 SW Louisana State. We were so poor I don't know how we could afford the drive from Barbour County, so I'm sure the tickets were a gift. I just remember how excited my dad and I were to see Bo in person. 

The most important trip was my wife's first game against Wyoming in 2000. The atmosphere and the Rudy Johnson 80 yard touchdown run were enough to convert her. I can't wait to get back. 

53 minutes ago, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

LSU game, 1994. I moved into Glenn Hall in the lower quad that weekend to start my Auburn education. I was for sure the streak was going to end that day the way we were playing. Then the 4th quarter happened. You know the rest. To this day, I still can’t believe what I saw!

First Auburn game I ever saw in person was the 1990 Peach Bowl vs Indiana. Another great finish in that one as well.

I was at that game as well...cold and miserable, but we won.

I started going to games when I was to young to remember as my parents took me with them to every home game, and lots of road games since birth. But the first game I can remember though is AU vs UGA in 1978. I was six and the only thing I remember is when Auburn ran back out onto the field wearing orange jerseys after warming up in blue. First road game I remember is Wake Forest in 1979. I was sad I had to sit in the stands instead of the grass. 

Archived