What was your first time in Jordan Hare?

bdc81

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1986 vs. UT-Chattanooga...one of those weekends for HS seniors to come visit and check out the campus. A game ticket was part of the package, so my folks and I drove up for a visit. It was my first time to visit Auburn at all.

Side note: I used to enjoy those games that were before fall quarter started...drive up with my stuff on Friday, move back into the apartment, go to the game, drive back home Sunday.

I remember we won 42-14, and it was the first game for Brent Fullwood and Jeff Burger to really step into the spotlight. Fullwood was a talented RB, but was in the shadow of some guy named Bo Jackson. 

😏

39 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

Fullwood was a talented RB, but was in the shadow of some guy named Bo Jackson. 

Fullwood was great RB and other than Bo probably my all time favorite. Remember a quote from Coach Dye on his show. " As great as Bo is not a lot of drop-off when Brent is in the game". Saw him a few years ago as guest n the Tailgate Show in Auburn and seemed to be doing well. Great interview posted a while back.

Opening day- September 8, 1990 against Cal State-Fullerton. Early game (maybe 11:00 kickoff??). At halftime the announcer called Otis Mounds name over the P.A and said to report to the locker room. He played tailback then but would move to defense and ended up being a part of some legendary games. I think that was Stan Whites first start too as I recall. Gotta love the pre-internet, no cell phone days. Ha!

21 hours ago, JTFazz said:

First in 1978, Auburn vs. Miami when Ottis Anderson ripped off a long run late in the game to set up a game winning field goal (17-15).

Interesting- this was my first game of many at JHS as well.

23 hours ago, JTFazz said:

My first three trips were not positive. First in 1978, Auburn vs. Miami when Ottis Anderson ripped off a long run late in the game to set up a game winning field goal (17-15). I was sitting on the wooden bleachers in the north end zone. I was a sophomore in high school and was wearing my JROTC uniform to blend in with my father's national guard military police unit which directed traffic before the game. Second was the worst ever loss to Tennessee (42-0) in 1980 and third was when #3 Texas beat #5 Auburn 20-7 in 1983. I was so sunburned and had a gigantic cowbell headache. First win I saw in person was later in 1983 in the Legion Tornado Field tornado game (23-20) when Bo rushed for 256. Finally broke the Jordan Hare losing streak in 1986 when I saw Auburn return the favor to Tennessee 34-8.

I was at the Miami game *I was 10* I remember that Otis was a beast..

I was at the blowout loss to UT, I remember the student section raining down oranges on UT as they came out of the tunnel.

I was at the tornado game..my best experience I’ve ever had at an Auburn game!

1 hour ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I was at the Miami game *I was 10* I remember that Otis was a beast..

I was at the blowout loss to UT, I remember the student section raining down oranges on UT as they came out of the tunnel.

I was at the tornado game..my best experience I’ve ever had at an Auburn game!

At the time, Miami (FL) was supposed to be no bigger threat than Miami (OH) is today. I was so disappointed. I had forgotten about the orange pelting at the UTk game. And that Legion Field tornado game was awesome. Bo ran his 69-yard touchdown right at me. I was in the company of my best friend at the time, a Bammer. It was sweet.

It was in 1990, but I forget who we played because I was only 4 years old. 

4 hours ago, Howard Roark said:

1982 Auburn v Nebraska.  It was only 14 - 7 at half, but ended 41 - 7.  The Nebraska oline was awesome.  It was the era prior to steroid testing.  

1980's Vandy coach George Macintyre throws down a Sports Illustrated photo of the Nebraska O line onto the desk of his SC coach and says "I want my Oline to look like that!"  SC coach says sure and a couple years later both were out of a job due to a steroid scandal.

Some schools are not allowed to cheat to win, only the preferred schools that make good TV ratings.

Little doc

10 hours ago, GAAubie said:

I was at that game as well...cold and miserable, but we won.

I was there, also. Not sure where you were sitting, but where we were was a hot, sticky, humid, muggy, miserable game for 3 1/2 quarters, but what a finish! 

On 2/15/2021 at 1:27 PM, JTFazz said:

My first three trips were not positive. First in 1978, Auburn vs. Miami when Ottis Anderson ripped off a long run late in the game to set up a game winning field goal (17-15). I was sitting on the wooden bleachers in the north end zone. I was a sophomore in high school and was wearing my JROTC uniform to blend in with my father's national guard military police unit which directed traffic before the game. Second was the worst ever loss to Tennessee (42-0) in 1980 and third was when #3 Texas beat #5 Auburn 20-7 in 1983. I was so sunburned and had a gigantic cowbell headache. First win I saw in person was later in 1983 in the Legion Field tornado game (23-20) when Bo rushed for 256. Finally broke the Jordan Hare losing streak in 1986 when I saw Auburn return the favor to Tennessee 34-8.

I was at that Miami game, what a heart breaker! Barfield went for 2 instead of tying and went ahead 15-14 late. What made Anderson’s run so bad? It was 4th and a mile (20+ yards) and all Auburn had to do was stop them on that play. They ran a draw for 40 yards and set up for the winning FG with little time left. P.W. Underwood struck again!

6 hours ago, JTFazz said:

At the time, Miami (FL) was supposed to be no bigger threat than Miami (OH) is today. I was so disappointed. I had forgotten about the orange pelting at the UTk game. And that Legion Field tornado game was awesome. Bo ran his 69-yard touchdown right at me. I was in the company of my best friend at the time, a Bammer. It was sweet.

I sat in the same end zone at the bammer game 👍
I had an isle seat and the water was cascading down the steps like a waterfall.. good times...

Freshman year, Ole Miss 1993...y'all remember...back when football started before classes.  Classes started on Sept. 23rd that year.  My nephew was born the night before.  I got up at 5 am to head back to AU from Bham that first morning of classes for my 8am World History class in Haley Center.  I remember like it was yesterday...

On 2/15/2021 at 1:50 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

Ten years before I was born. I'm 56, my Dad was 13 when you went to that game.  Been a minute...

My Dad graduated from Auburn Vet school in 1947.  I think that I was 3 when they took me.  Of course I don’t remember being there but do remember how proud he always was when he talked about taking his son to his first Auburn game.

I think it was 91 Florida.  I don’t remember anything about the game itself other than not liking how loud it was.  I think we sat in the upper deck but that’s about it.

1997 Iron Bowl. Traveled down from Denver and found some tickets through friends at a tailgate. Game was real disjointed, some ugly play and Alabama was in the lead. We were sitting in the lower bowl in the Auburn south end zone section and as I've come to see in subsequent years - all of a sudden the Bama fans started popping up out of the Auburn section crowd and beating their chest. "Where did these guys come from" I remember asking my wife - who as an Auburn grad she was super pissed and nearly ready to fight every one of them. Bama had the ball and Shaun Alexander was an animal and it looked pretty bleak as they drove down the field - and the Bama fans started getting louder on those first downs. Some how Ed Scissum  - bless his heart fumbles that screen pass. The noise in that place rivaled any Bronco game I've attended at the old Mile High - and I had been to many of the greatest moments in that stadium. When Holmes kicked the game winning FG I don't think I've heard a louder "It's great to be an Auburn Tiger" chant - and can't think of one since then - the place was nuts - and Toomers was just as insane. Went to the Supper Club and got home the next day as the sun was coming up. Effin great time.

On 2/15/2021 at 6:01 AM, im4aual said:

1970 Georgia Tech game.  Auburn won and Sullivan threw what was then the longest touchdown pass in Auburn history to Alvin Bressler, 85 yards,  I've had season tickets since 1977, but I still remember every detail of that first game.

Mine, too. 8 year old. Newly enclosed north end zone. I remember Sullivan throwing a bomb in our direction, and the receiver making an over the shoulder catch for the TD. North end zone. Didn't know the receiver, but assumed it was Beasley.

96 Fresno State game. D Craig's first year as starter. 62-0 nothing. D Craig was my childhood. All time favorite Auburn player along with Nick Marshall that isn't named Cameron Jerrell Newton.

On 2/15/2021 at 10:02 PM, bdc81 said:

Bitter cold wet night in north alabama.  Good memories with a hot drink. Yardbarker rated us in the top 5 in on campus stadiums was the reason for the post, could not get the link to appear.

We were highly rated for the build of the stadium creating noise and a home field advantage and for our pre game ceremonies that have been copied.

Spent two summers in Auburn as a temporary orphan while my mother worked on her masters.  Could walk up the Opelika Hwy with some co-orphan friends collecting soft drink bottles to cash in at the A&P, cross town to play a few games of pool as the the pool halls were empty.  Swim later, play tennis, sneak onto the colosseum BB  court, onto the football field rarely.  Watch "color TV" at the Baptist student center if we behaved for 30 minutes.  Ice cream at the SaniFreeze and Dixie Youth baseball after a TV dinner.  Live was grand on the plains.   If I stole your sports illustrated or Playboy magazine out of the Apt mailbox they were put to good use and highly appreciated.

Little doc

Not sure what part of North Alabama you are in, but the part I am in we are still sitting over here with 5 inch of snow on the ground and can’t go anywhere.

Archived