What was your first time in Jordan Hare?

bdc81

On 2/15/2021 at 5:42 PM, Paladin said:

October 29, 1994

Auburn defeated Arkansas 31 to 14.

Stephen Davis ran through and over the Arkansas defense for 246 yards. He scored three touchdowns and had a 53 yd touchdown. 

If I’m not mistaken, that was the day that Aubie and the Razorback mascot ( I don’t recollect its name) were kind of play fighting and it escalated rather quickly in the wrong direction, and the pig came out of there with a broken leg? I remember watching the friendly jostling a little during the game, but some friends of mine told me that actually happened.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

since i am a virgin i guess i have to admit i never had a first time at JH.

Dad took me to two games in 1983 as a youngster. Don’t recall the opponents, but I vividly recall Lionel James taking a pitch-out and BLOWING by defenders down the sideline for 70+ yards. I thought then he had to be the fastest guy on the planet. 

On 2/15/2021 at 4:42 PM, Paladin said:

October 29, 1994

Auburn defeated Arkansas 31 to 14.

Stephen Davis ran through and over the Arkansas defense for 246 yards. He scored three touchdowns and had a 53 yd touchdown. 

On 2/16/2021 at 7:13 AM, AuburnAlumFromThe423 said:

LSU game, 1994. I moved into Glenn Hall in the lower quad that weekend to start my Auburn education. I was for sure the streak was going to end that day the way we were playing. Then the 4th quarter happened. You know the rest. To this day, I still can’t believe what I saw!

What a game to be your first. It was my first as an adult (3rd overall). It looked bleak, but I never gave up hope. Too much fight in the 93 leftovers to tap out.

To this day, still remains the most incredible, improbable game I’ve ever seen, in person or on TV. As Coach Dye said afterwards, we may never see another one like that.

On 2/16/2021 at 6:22 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

I was there, also. Not sure where you were sitting, but where we were was a hot, sticky, humid, muggy, miserable game for 3 1/2 quarters, but what a finish! 

He bolded your other game, the 1990 Peach Bowl. 

Yes the the 1994 LSU game was incredibly humid. 

A long time ago. It was 1980 Auburn versus eventual national champion Georgia. Doug Barfield's next to last game, and the last time Auburn wore Orange uni's. Held Herschel Walker to 75 yards rushing, but QB Buck Belue led Georgia to a 31-21 win despite James Brooks having a good day for us. I was a boy scout that Auburn used as ushers at the time, and we got in the game free.

^^^^^I'm even older. I wrote sports column for The Plainsman in 1957/58. I knew all the coaches and players well. I loved the program covers back then.

First time I went as an adult was invited to use some 50 yd line tickets to see the Tigers play MSU.  Watched Bo take the pitch from the 20 yd line.  Had a perfect view of Bo cutting into a gaping hole made by perfect blocking and the crowd standing up in a wave yelling GO BO GO as he took it to the house without being touched.  Never felt such electricity in a game before.

Thank CPD for making the greatest recruiting visit in AU history.

Little doc

Mine was 1973 UF game. AU trailed the entire game. Scored a TD and 2 pt conversion at the very end of the game but was too little too late. Lost 12-8.

On 2/20/2021 at 8:18 PM, Trigger said:

Proud, I suppose you worked with Paul H. Good writer! 

Yes. Paul was the Sports Editor and a good friend and had a decent career writing after AU. He passed away too early.

Paul Hemphill, Chronicler of the South, Dies at 73 - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 8:12 PM, augolf1716 said:

Must have been a great memory:poke:

I was a Yankee kid at my first major college football game as a freshman. That plus a ton of booze since that time has made it rather hazy. I hadn't set foot on Auburn's campus until I showed up for pre-freshman orientation.

I remember seeing Bobby Hoppe play (1957 at the latest) and Ed Dyas (1958 at the earliest). I don't remember who we played just that I was at the game with my Dad. It is possible I was at a game a year or two earlier but I am not sure.

11 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

I remember seeing Bobby Hoppe play (1957 at the latest) and Ed Dyas (1958 at the earliest). I don't remember who we played just that I was at the game with my Dad. It is possible I was at a game a year or two earlier but I am not sure.

Damn man Bobby Hoppe was the meanest guy in the world, on and off the field. He had to get permission from his parole officer to leave Tennessee. He was on probation for manslaughter. He was one crazy SOB always had a pistol near by. Give me chills just to think about him one scary guy back then

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn man Bobby Hoppe was the meanest guy in the world, on and off the field. He had to get permission from his parole officer to leave Tennessee. He was on probation for manslaughter. He was one crazy SOB always had a pistol near by. Give me chills just to think about him one scary guy back then

I found this link about a book his wife authored covering the shooting of a moonshine runner named "Don Hudson" in Chattanooga, July 20, 1957, and the trial that occurred in later years.

https://www.chattanoogan.com/2010/9/25/184891/New-Book-Details-1957-Bobby-Hoppe.aspx

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

He wasn't on parole.  He left the day after the shooting if I recall.  A team member said a Chattanooga "constable" interviewed him after practice  that August and he was not charged, until decades later by a district attorney trying to make news for his run for mayor.   Apparently had a change of direction in life after leaving Auburn.

The team member said everyone knew he had done the shooting (in self defense apparently).  Said no one would talk about it but the tension made team work harder and set the tone for the national championship run.

22 minutes ago, bdc81 said:

He wasn't on parole.  He left the day after the shooting if I recall.  A team member said a Chattanooga "constable" interviewed him after practice  that August and he was not charged, until decades later by a district attorney trying to make news for his run for mayor.   Apparently had a change of direction in life after leaving Auburn.

The team member said everyone knew he had done the shooting (in self defense apparently).  Said no one would talk about it but the tension made team work harder and set the tone for the national championship run.

I know he turned his life around later in years but I know for a fact while at Auburn he was known to shoot his 45 while staying in the old cabins called "Graves Centre". He was a really good player but still scared the bejesus out of me. 

13 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

2003 auburn vs USC. Still the hottest game I ever went to and the last time my dad and I went to the stadium that early again. 

It was Africa hot that day...............I like to have died

Let me lead with this. Class of 87'. I was first in JH as the enemy. My Dad was a UT grad and we had moved to FWB/Destin area from Huntsville. He had UT season tickets for years so it was like a drive to K-Ville from H-Ville to head to JH from Florida. 1980. Tennessee players came out and were subsequently pelted with hundreds of oranges. UT 42 AU 0. Crazy.

Archived