Malzahn Accepts UCF HC Job

Paladin

Actually think this is weird move for Gus not sure why take a group of 5 at age 55 now. UCF is a good gig but fan base overall is not big football crazy but they are extremely spoiled by Scott Frost and Josh Heupel sucess. Central Fl. has good athletes with lots of speed but really hard to pull the good/best to UCF most want to get away from Mickey World. Campus is huge but meh imo there will be less stress but he will need to win 9 or more games a year due to UCF recent sucess. UCF has very little in the way of rivalries their biggest is USF called War on I-4. 

I'm going to be real interested in who he gets for assistants will it be all yes men or some real coaches. Who ever he gets for defense he better be good cause they really really suck on defense

image.png

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone catch the part of the presser when their AD said that Gus hadn't interviewed for a job since HS and basically implied that this was his first real interview since then? Lets now go back in time to the infamous "search committee" that supposedly landed him the Auburn job. Still think there was an extensive search done to get the best candidate we could; or was Gus pushed in without much thought based off of 2010? 

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Anyone catch the part of the presser when their AD said that Gus hadn't interviewed for a job since HS and basically implied that this was his first real interview since then? Lets now go back in time to the infamous "search committee" that supposedly landed him the Auburn job. Still think there was an extensive search done to get the best candidate we could; or was Gus pushed in without much thought based off of 2010? 

IMHO, and I could be wrong and if I am, I'm sure someone will let me know, but I think that "committee" had one simple charge from AD Jacobs, and that was to recommend the hiring of Gus Malzahn. 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Actually think this is weird move for Gus not sure why take a group of 5 at age 55 now. UCF is a good gig but fan base overall is not big football crazy but they are extremely spoiled by Scott Frost and Josh Heupel sucess. Central Fl. has good athletes with lots of speed but really hard to pull the good/best to UCF most want to get away from Mickey World. Campus is huge but meh imo there will be less stress but he will need to win 9 or more games a year due to UCF recent sucess. UCF has very little in the way of rivalries their biggest is USF called War on I-4. 

I'm going to be real interested in who he gets for assistants will it be all yes men or some real coaches. Who ever he gets for defense he better be good cause they really really suck on defense

image.png

Tax situation has to be better in FL, right? Or does that stop applying once you make a certain amount? 

I really think he will go there, score a ton, and be out in a year or two once he proves that he can still coach. 

UCF will bring him se name notoriety and his schedule will be easier to get to a NY6 game than UT or any mid level P5 school can offer.

Bottom line, he's leveraging a short stay in Orlando into a bigger job soon. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

New year same ol a**hole poster I see. Good to see some things never change like your head firmly stuck up Malzahn's ass. Hopefully now since Gus landed on his feet you can now go with him to whatever board is similar to this one for UCF fans. I would say have a nice day but I wouldn't mean it. Hope you stub a toe on a bed post instead.

You have such a beautiful way with words. Have you considered writing professionally?

I noticed you didn’t respond to: he can’t recruit, can’t develop players and can’t coach but somehow he got picked up by Central Florida? With your emence  football knowledge, maybe you can explain to us how this happens.

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

You have such a beautiful way with words. Have you considered writing professionally?

I noticed you didn’t respond to: he can’t recruit, can’t develop players and can’t coach but somehow he got picked up by Central Florida? With your emence  football knowledge, maybe you can explain to us how this happens.

Nobody said he couldn’t coach or recruit. You love extremes . He is an above average coach at the power 5 level. I am not surprised he would be able to pick up a gig from a non power 5 school or lower ranked power 5 school. You acting like he signed to coach ND or Michigan 

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Disagree. Gus has already maxed out the Peter Principle.

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Tax situation has to be better in FL, right? Or does that stop applying once you make a certain amount? 

I really think he will go there, score a ton, and be out in a year or two once he proves that he can still coach. 

UCF will bring him se name notoriety and his schedule will be easier to get to a NY6 game than UT or any mid level P5 school can offer.

No  state income tax so yes it better. He has a great QB and offense unless he skrews that up. Defense is god awful

From the info that’s come out since he was let go, I kind of wonder if he was burning out at Auburn. Fan expectations, turnover in university leadership and athletic department leadership, and meddling boosters may have tired him out. 

He seemed to have an energy in that press conference that I haven’t seen out of Gus in a long time. I still have questions about his QB development and his ability to modernize his offense. But this could actually be a better fit for Gus program wise. 

I’ll say this though, this puts to bed any of the speculation that he   cared more about money than coaching.

16 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

From the info that’s come out since he was let go, I kind of wonder if he was burning out at Auburn. Fan expectations, turnover in university leadership and athletic department leadership, and meddling boosters may have tired him out. 

He seemed to have an energy in that press conference that I haven’t seen out of Gus in a long time. I still have questions about his QB development and his ability to modernize his offense. But this could actually be a better fit for Gus program wise. 

I’ll say this though, this puts to bed any of the speculation that he   cared more about money than coaching.

How exactly did this move put that to rest? I am willing to bet the insane buy out and money given to him by Auburn directly influenced how much he and the university was willing to pay out. Add to the fact it is Orlando with zero state income tax. 

5 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Actually think this is weird move for Gus not sure why take a group of 5 at age 55 now.

Do you think he would've had better offers coming? A middle of the road P5 gig like South Carolina or Texas Tech, maybe?

If he's lucky, he'll do exactly what he did  at Arky St- keep winning with the program the guys before him built and level back up and out of there before the offense sinks. 

image.png

Looks like T-Will is going to be the DC. What a train wreck that is going to be. 

There are several reasons T-Will is not an assistant at AU now. The main reason was his inability to break down film of different offensive schemes and make the necessary calls to offset those schemes in his interview with Harsin. His football knowledge was very elementary. 

FWIW to all here who reads this.  

image.png

He got a yes man, but a good coach in TWill as DC. Now, I hope T Will does well, but it will be difficult in that Group 5 as most really good defensive players will go to P5 schools. 

This may be perfect for Gus, although most coaches hired here have used it as a stepping stone to a P5 team. It will be interesting....

26 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Looks like T-Will is going to be the DC. What a train wreck that is going to be. 

There are several reasons T-Will is not an assistant at AU now. The main reason was his inability to break down film of different offensive schemes and make the necessary calls to offset those schemes in his interview with Harsin. His football knowledge was very elementary. 

Well that is better than the personal undermining story. I hope he proves all the doubters wrong. 

35 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Totally agree Twill is not even close to being ready dor a DC job

22 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

He got a yes man, but a good coach in TWill as DC. Now, I hope T Will does well, but it will be difficult in that Group 5 as most really good defensive players will go to P5 schools. 

This may be perfect for Gus, although most coaches hired here have used it as a stepping stone to a P5 team. It will be interesting....

Twill is no were near being ready for a DC job at any level imo

On 2/15/2021 at 12:13 PM, PoetTiger said:

Hopefully UCF would not hire someone who can’t recruit, develop, or coach. He may not have reached the pinnacle at Auburn but I am not ready to say he “can’t” coach.

If he couldn't coach, he wouldn't be the only one to have sustained success against Saban.

39 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

If he couldn't coach, he wouldn't be the only one to have sustained success against Saban.

sus·tained
/səˈstānd/

adjective
  1. continuing for an extended period or without interruption.
    Wow, the force is strong with this one.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

*Cries in Black and Gold*

:slapfh:

Archived