2022 3* LB Powell Gordon Commits To AU!

Paladin

Hope Gordon signs and turns out great. Either way I think that this has been one of the better recruit threads in some time. Not sure what happens if a recruit thread reaches 100 pages of beef/burger talk🤔I don’t think that we have a precedent for this

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, fredst said:

Not sure what happens if a recruit thread reaches 100 pages of beef/burger talk🤔I don’t think that we have a precedent for this

Not yet but well on the way

On 3/28/2021 at 2:30 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

My favorite burger in the world is In and Out. I miss living in Nevada so bad for that reason.

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2021 at 4:34 PM, dilligas said:

I like Whataburger the best.  Only in Texas I think.

@dilligas They are in other areas. B'Ham has at least 2. Opelika is getting 1 this summer.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@dilligas They are in other areas. B'Ham has at least 2. Opelika is getting 1 this summer.

Arkansas has them as my son went to Arky and was glad they had a Whataburger

• Like 3

So, with new staff, etc. trying to crank up their recruiting engine in the midst of the pandemic, I've pretty much just been following the 2022 Recruiting Thread with occasional glances at the Transfer Portal thread and rare glances at individual recruit threads. I had read some of Powell Gordon thread in the early stages of his thread being created. Lately, whenever I would look at the Recruiting Forum, the most recent comments were in his thread. I couldn't figure out why he was getting so many comments, so last night and this morning, I went through his thread. About the only words I have is you can tell it is the "off" season. :poke:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

My bro is a chef. One of my favorite things he cooks is beef filet medallions in cast iron. Served with his garlic mashed red potatoes. Uhhhh....yes please.

Is there a sauce involved? We haven't even broached the subject of sauces.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, akillshot said:

About the only words I have is you can tell it is the "off" season.

Wait, should we be concerned about the beef supply?!?!?! Is this a thing like oysters and months ending in R???? Daddy's got some sweet filets* lined up for the weekend but nobody wants the funk on a filet, unless maybe it's a primo gorgonzola sauce.

As for Kung Pow-ell Gordon, I'm sure we'll get some news when there's news for the gettin'. 

*Ma Loof loves to buy filets when she sees them on sale. Pa Loof doesn't complain.

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A steak should be served as the culinary delight that it is without any sauce on top. I’m good with a good blue cheese butter or something but it must be on the side, not poured over. This is much more important than recruiting, even when we are in a thread about King Kong Powell Gordon.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

...some sweet filets* lined up for the weekend

Funny you should mention filets. Have a couple of prime filets in the frig and my wife just suggested that for lunch today. Reverse sear and finish in the cast iron skillet sounds like the approach since rain is possible today. Now to pick out a wine.

Food derails are my favorite. I remember in the coach hiring thread, there was stretch where there was some discussion of various ethnic restaurants in the greater Atlanta area. I was hoping that part of the thread would expand.

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, akillshot said:

Funny you should mention filets. Have a couple of prime filets in the frig and my wife just suggested that for lunch today. Reverse sear and finish in the cast iron skillet sounds like the approach since rain is possible today. Now to pick out a wine.

Food derails are my favorite. I remember in the coach hiring thread, there was stretch where there was some discussion of various ethnic restaurants in the greater Atlanta area. I was hoping that part of the thread would expand.

If you intended for me to become insanely jealous to the point of mania by typing the words "lunch today", you've succeeded.

And heck yeah, that was a good thread. Quite a bit of upheaval in the food scene up there since then but it seems the options have remained extraordinary overall. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, fredst said:

A steak should be served as the culinary delight that it is without any sauce on top. I’m good with a good blue cheese butter or something but it must be on the side, not poured over. This is much more important than recruiting, even when we are in a thread about King Kong Powell Gordon.

A steak frites smothered in peppercorn gravy I had in Brussels begs to differ, sir. 

Also, I'll stop short of sharing recipes here so as not to distract Pau Gasol-ell Gordon from his training regimen, but I've got this whiskey mushroom cream sauce...

(Really, the sauce is about the potatoes for me. That's why Fuge's mention of beef + mashtaters got me all riled up. If there aren't potatoes involved, then I typically don't think about a sauce.)

(Great gotahmighty y'all got me thinking about steak and fries with brown gravy and I'm pretty much shot for the day.)

• Love 2

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A steak frites smothered in peppercorn gravy I had in Brussels begs to differ, sir.

I can get on board with that. In general I think that a sauce is put on there to mask suboptimal beef or preparation thereof. Have reached out to Gordon for his opinion...

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Blue cheese with a little mayo and a little sour cream put in a saucepan with melted butter and a teaspoon or two of the pan drippings. Whisk until well blended and creamy, spoon over filets or use to dip, and eeeeaaaatt em up!

Edited by toddc
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

I can get on board with that. In general I think that a sauce is put on there to mask suboptimal beef or preparation thereof. Have reached out to Gordon for his opinion...

That's fair. I damned sure didn't put sauce on my wagyu steaks. And I definitely wasn't at the best steakhouse in Brussels. Don't know what the best steakhouse in Brussels is, but this wasn't that. It was only really damned good. The seafood tower we had before the steaks didn't suck.

Yes, I'm just looking at my own travel photos in the middle of a party now. 

I wonder if Powell "Flash" Gordon has ever partied with Wade Christopher.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

Blue cheese with a little mayo and a little sour cream put in a saucepan with melted butter and a teaspoon or two of the pan drippings. Whisk until well blended and creamy, spoon over filets or use to dip, and eeeeaaaatt em up!

It just occurred to me that pan vs open flame changes the sauce conversation significantly. 

• Like 1

@McLoofusnegative on the sauce. However, it’s been a minute since I have partaken of his steak. He may well do some type of sauce now.

We’ve talked about Doe’s steakhouse before, no? They opened one here several years ago and good got almighty, marinated steak(I know...I know) and fresh cut fries? Palms are sweaty, knees weak...

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

@McLoofusnegative on the sauce. However, it’s been a minute since I have partaken of his steak. He may well do some type of sauce now.

We’ve talked about Doe’s steakhouse before, no? They opened one here several years ago and good got almighty, marinated steak(I know...I know) and fresh cut fries? Palms are sweaty, knees weak...

No BS #1 bucket list restaurant for me

• Love 2

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Speaking of soft shell crabs, just got the text from my spot that they're in. Game on!

Nothing better than catching them yourself during the jubilee and taking them home and battering them up and frying them an hour after catching!

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Speaking of soft shell crabs, just got the text from my spot that they're in. Game on!

My Dad was in the Navy but my Mom's people were from the Eastern Shore of Maryland (Blue Crab Country). I spent many a day as a youngster in a small flat bottom boat sculling in brackish water rivers and looking out for soft shelled crabs. Pan Fried on white bread with mustard. Just thinking about it makes me hungry.

Until my Senior year in High School when Dad got transferred to San Diego area I always ate fresh Blue Crabs both hard and soft and Oysters that I caught myself. Boy was it a let down when I found out how much you had to pay for them.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

My Dad was in the Navy but my Mom's people were from the Eastern Shore of Maryland (Blue Crab Country). I spent many a day as a youngster in a small flat bottom boat sculling in brackish water rivers and looking out for soft shelled crabs. Pan Fried on white bread with mustard. Just thinking about it makes me hungry.

I will have to try one that way! That's how I eat Conecuh.

• Like 1