2022 3* LB Powell Gordon Commits To AU!

Paladin

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It also doesn’t make sense to assume that just because a kid hasn’t been rated yet that he’s not a quality recruit or player? Or that the recruiting sites know more than a staff. If they did they would be coaches instead of talent evaluators. Also there are many recruits at this early stage each year that are either unranked or very underrated who turned out to be much higher ranked and or have quality college careers.

Your argument is coaches always get it right, which is silly. They can be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Your argument is coaches always get it right, which is silly. They can be wrong. 

Dude , stop already. You are sounding like a buffoon

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, AUBIE28 said:

Dude , stop already. You are sounding like a buffoon

No? 

I do feel special to be your 4th post in 11 years. Ellitor is a big boy. We can discuss things. 

Edited by W.E.D

I really like this guys tape. He looks like a football player. Nothing really flashy in the highlights but he plays so many positions and plays them well. Looks comfortable standing up or with hand inn dirt. I like bringing guys like this on and seeing where they stick. 

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yum....no.  Unranked Starting LB/DE on a 7A runner up state championship football team.

Little worried we don't have a coach on defense that knows what an SEC caliber player looks like.

Since you're so good at instantly predicting future failure on high school kids, maybe you've missed your calling? Do all Auburn fans a favor. Give CBH a call. Line up an interview. Bring all those rankings along, and get yourself hired on his recruiting staff. I'm sure you won't look foolish when asked to watch film and pick out SEC level talent.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

No it’s not. My argument is recruiting sites should not be trusted over coach evaluations until they are proven correct on the field on that particular recruit. Which means in this case we won’t know on Gordon until a good ways into his auburn career. My other argument is that it’s foolish, and to be frank straight up asinine, to assume a recruit is not SEC caliber just because he had not been ranked early in a cycle.

• Like 5

For what it’s worth hunter 48, who is a high school defensive coach in the state, thinks pretty highly of Gordon and says he thinks he will be an asset after a year in S&C and a meal plan.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yum....no.  Unranked Starting LB/DE on a 7A runner up state championship football team.

Little worried we don't have a coach on defense that knows what an SEC caliber player looks like.

I would understand your argument a little if it wasn't a covid year class and if this kid was playing 2A in BFA.

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Eh, these kids are still playing and have a ton of film.  

I would say that is probably why our SEC caliber DC made the offer....after watching his film. Did you even watch it? 

I bet if we never offered this kid and towards NSD next year he is a 4 star high profile kid and we come in late you would be one of the posters on here B@#$hing about it. 

My goodness,  don't know why our staff even watches film or does evals, or any staff for that matter...why not just look at 247 and Rivals top 250 and just go down the list making offers and hoping for the best regardless of system, culture, or character flaws that may be present. I'm sure the guys at 247 are so much better at evaluating talent that is why they choose to write articles making thousands of $$ off of their eye for talent when they could just be a coach and make millions. 

• Like 4

This is from a coach who has coached many D1 & some pro players too. Says Gordon can play at the SEC level. Coaches haven’t seen kids in person for over a year. Rankings for 2022 and 2023 don’t mean crap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This is from a coach who has coached many D1 & some pro players too. Says Gordon can play at the SEC level. Coaches haven’t seen kids in person for over a year. Rankings for 2022 and 2023 don’t mean crap.

He goes on to say in standard years kids get invited to camps and elite invite camps and college coaches share their opinions about kids to each other and scouts. That hasn’t happened in over a year. 2022 and 2023 kids are being screwed over. A lot of these rankings are based off of how they were as 8th and 9th graders which is a freaking joke.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He goes on to say in standard years kids get invited to camps and elite invite camps and college coaches share their opinions about kids to each other and scouts. That hasn’t happened in over a year. 2022 and 2023 kids are being screwed over. A lot of these rankings are based off of how they were as 8th and 9th graders which is a freaking joke.

It is a joke that recruiting services would be using that information to use as current evaluations.  Look at some film, it is what people pay you to do.  That is why schools have big recruiting departments to watch tons of film and make connections with coaches, recruits, trainers, gym owners, etc.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It is a joke that recruiting services would be using that information to use as current evaluations.  Look at some film, it is what people pay you to do.  That is why schools have big recruiting departments to watch tons of film and make connections with coaches, recruits, trainers, gym owners, etc.

Yup & it's already a tough task for recruiting sites to do that for thousands of kids. I imagine it's tougher with any staff reductions that have occurred from covid. And as I said on a similar note in another thread, seeing someone on film & person can be vastly different things.

If I’ve learned nothing else about Coach Harsin, I’ve learned that he has extremely high standards of what excellence looks like. If him and Coach Mason want this kid, it’s because they see something special about him. It is refreshing to have a staff this proactive and certain in their evaluations and offers. War Eagle 🦅 

• Like 2

Leighton Vander Esch was a skinny walk on LB at Boise state and he ended up being a first round pick to the cowboys. If anybody knows what a white LB is supposed to look like I guess it’s this staff

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It is refreshing to have a staff this proactive and certain in their evaluations and offers

And not just chasing star like Gus apparently was.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Leighton Vander Esch was a skinny walk on LB at Boise state and he ended up being a first round pick to the cowboys. If anybody knows what a white LB is supposed to look like I guess it’s this staff

It seems a lot of folks are so used to players at AU never developing past their HS ranking that they can't imagine the player getting better. The last two AU coaches have routinely had their butts kicked by 1,2,and 3 star OL from Wisconsin, Minnesota, UCF, Northwestern, etc., in bowl games. Good coaches identify talent AND develope same.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Also, a local HS coach who puts players in the SEC and other power 5 schools has always said the 3 positions - in this order - to mis-evaluate players, or discover hidden gems, are OL, LB, and DL. Because players tend to mature physically and mentally at different stages.

• Like 4

Auburn offers Auburn High LB

Jeffrey Lee • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

@JLeeAURivals

If Powell Gordon doesn’t want to leave home to go to college, he doesn’t have to. Not after Thursday night.

Gordon, a linebacker from Auburn High School, received an offer from Auburn University.

“Coach (Bryan) Harsin called me and we talked for about 30 minutes,” Gordon said. “He let me know that they are offering.”

Powell Gordon had 32 tackles-for-loss and 14 sacks as a junior. (Getty Images/Icon Sportswire)

It was welcomed news for Gordon.

“It felt great,” Gordon said. “Just getting an offer from the school that you’ve liked your whole life, it’s great. And it was special to be on the phone with Coach Harsin. He’s the new coach and really impressed me with all his knowledge of football and everything.”

The offer comes after Gordon recorded 88 tackles, 32 tackles-for-loss and 14 sacks as a junior. He did so playing mostly defensive end. Auburn, however, is recruiting him to play middle linebacker.

“I think it will be great,” Gordon said of playing middle linebacker in the SEC. “I like commanding the defense, getting everyone in place and having a better vision of the entire field.”

Gordon would play under Auburn’s new linebacker coach, Jeff Schmedding.

“He’s a great coach,” Gordon said. “I’ve talked to and texted with Coach Schmedding. He knows what he’s talking about. He got me more excited about Auburn and possibly playing linebacker at Auburn.”

Gordon now has offers from Auburn, Vanderbilt, UAB, Army, Air Force, Troy, Southern Miss, Tulane and Western Kentucky. He doesn’t have any favorites, but said Auburn would be high on his list.

“Auburn always has been a team I liked,” Gordon said. “And now you have the new coaching staff and they are all great coaches. Auburn is very high for me. They are up there.”

Gordon, who is 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, is unsure when he will make a decision.

“I’m not sure, yet,” Gordon said. “I don’t think I will wait too long, but I really don’t know.”

12 hours ago, W.E.D said:

You're going to need to come up with some specific critiques of this kid's game to avoid looking like an ignorant troll here. Again. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Since you're so good at instantly predicting future failure on high school kids, maybe you've missed your calling? Do all Auburn fans a favor. Give CBH a call. Line up an interview. Bring all those rankings along, and get yourself hired on his recruiting staff. I'm sure you won't look foolish when asked to watch film and pick out SEC level talent.

I've passed on my resume and waiting to hear back.  Thank you for this lead

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

For what it’s worth hunter 48, who is a high school defensive coach in the state, thinks pretty highly of Gordon and says he thinks he will be an asset after a year in S&C and a meal plan.

He does look really frail in some interviews I watched last night.  But he was probably 16.

Lots of anger over an opinion....

2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I would understand your argument a little if it wasn't a covid year class and if this kid was playing 2A in BFA.

I would say that is probably why our SEC caliber DC made the offer....after watching his film. Did you even watch it? 

I bet if we never offered this kid and towards NSD next year he is a 4 star high profile kid and we come in late you would be one of the posters on here B@#$hing about it. 

My goodness,  don't know why our staff even watches film or does evals, or any staff for that matter...why not just look at 247 and Rivals top 250 and just go down the list making offers and hoping for the best regardless of system, culture, or character flaws that may be present. I'm sure the guys at 247 are so much better at evaluating talent that is why they choose to write articles making thousands of $$ off of their eye for talent when they could just be a coach and make millions. 

Yes I did.  Mid 3* kid right now.  Lost of SEC programs have them.  If coaches can evaluate film, so can the recruiting services.  Do they miss on kids sometimes, yeah.  But it's not like this is a kid at some unknown 1A site.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

So what you're saying is these recruiting services have the same tools currently to evaluate players that coaches do....right?  Everyone has seen his game film.  He played at a school that has full games televised

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And not just chasing star like Gus apparently was.

I'm just glad we're going to be able to compete with Bama and UGA b/c we'll uncover every unknown prospect that is a 2* or NR that is actually good.  That's a true plan of attack

So all the unranked kids that UGA, Bama, and Clemson have offered... they don’t know talent either? I’ll hang up and listen.

• Like 1

I'm actually surprised no one has tried to bring up the perfect counterpoint to what I'm saying.....but all we've got is;

"trust the coaches"

"rivals and 247 don't evaluate well"

"Anecdotal 2* player turned out to be good"

"Evaluation matters, Stars don't"....which is just the best b/c there are no camps, no visits, and everyone has the exact same tape...especially considering he's playing at a premier school in the state and played in the State Title Game.  But those live televised game only attracted Vandy, Kentucky, & Air Force....😬

But, back to the original sentence....Bama recently offered a NR DE from Louisiana and he's played on back to back state title teams.  C'mon ppl