2022 3* LB Powell Gordon Commits To AU!

Paladin

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're going to need to come up with some specific critiques of this kid's game to avoid looking like an ignorant troll here. Again. 

I can say some things after watching his film, but ppl are just going to get mad that I'm attacking him.  

And why we gotta call names?  I may be ignorant (we all are, we read idiots posting stuff and take it as fact or just blindly follow coaches b/c they are infallible)....but I'm not a troll.  Words hurt, bruh.  😓😓

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I can say some things after watching his film, but ppl are just going to get mad that I'm attacking him.  

And why we gotta call names?  I may be ignorant (we all are, we read idiots posting stuff and take it as fact or just blindly follow coaches b/c they are infallible)....but I'm not a troll.  Words hurt, bruh.  😓😓

Then say those things 

For some reason, I don't believe you are hurt....🤔.  I have always found it odd that after the bowl losses I mentioned, the forum would blow up with ' we gotta get higher ranked linemen ' when AU just had their butts handed to them by lower ranked linemen. Seems better coaching might be part of the answer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Stick around, learn, and grow up. We love honest, objective critiques of players' strengths and weaknesses around here. Maybe you should try doing that before crying about the response.

I didn't call you an ignorant troll. I said you look like one by taking shots at the staff- and strafing a recruit in the process- based on nothing more than "he's unranked he sux dur hur". 

You look even more like one with these incessant, childish attacks on E for things he didn't say. E will be the first one to tell you that I'm not going to try to "protect" him. He's a big boy and he and I have had plenty of our differences and we'll have more. But if we're callin' 'em like we're seein' 'em, you're acting like a jackass. And an ignorant troll. 

You'll continue to get the treatment you earn here. Your choice. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

For some reason, I don't believe you are hurt....🤔.  I have always found it odd that after the bowl losses I mentioned, the forum would blow up with ' we gotta get higher ranked linemen ' when AU just had their butts handed to them by lower ranked linemen. Seems better coaching might be part of the answer.

I'm not sure we had any highly ranked kids starting last year, did we? 

We had two 3* DL staring on our OL.  Jackson/Manning

Center was a 4* but never very good.

Hamm was a 3*

Jones was pretty highly ranked.

So no..I wouldn't say we had many highly ranked offensive lineman playing for us last year

9 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That would be a lot less foolish & much more appreciated than what's been in some of your posts in this thread. Until this post it looked like you had not watched his tape & instead making judgements solely on the fact he has not been ranked yet. And people aren't going to get mad in thinking you are attacking him as long as you keep it about film critique. & if they do then they just have to deal with it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Stick around, learn, and grow up. We love honest, objective critiques of players' strengths and weaknesses around here. Maybe you should try doing that before crying about the response.

I didn't call you an ignorant troll. I said you look like one by taking shots at the staff- and strafing a recruit in the process- based on nothing more than "he's unranked he sux dur hur". 

You look even more like one with these incessant, childish attacks on E for things he didn't say. E will be the first one to tell you that I'm not going to try to "protect" him. He's a big boy and he and I have had plenty of our differences and we'll have more. But if we're callin' 'em like we're seein' 'em, you're acting like a jackass. And an ignorant troll. 

You'll continue to get the treatment you earn here. Your choice. 

Lmao.  I've never seen people come to the defense of another post so much.  @ellitor is a big boy.  We can have discussions on our own.  I'm attacking him, gmafb.

I'm glad you hide behind "look" and "acting" and pretend you aren't hurling out some insults.  I have an opinion.  You don't like it b/c everything related to auburn has to be positive.  He looks slow, skinny, nothing is explosive in the way he tackles/hits.  He's a depth guy, 3* kid.  Nothing overly impressive about his film.

• Like 1

I'm not sure we had any highly ranked kids starting last year, did we? 

We had two 3* DL staring on our OL.  Jackson/Manning

Center was a 4* but never very good.

Hamm was a 3*

Jones was pretty highly ranked.

So no..I wouldn't say we had many highly ranked offensive lineman playing for us last year

Well, that may explain last year, but we've played NW in two bowl games recently, IIRC. No harm no foul either way. Just something I noticed over the years. 

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That would be a lot less foolish & much more appreciated than what's been in some of your posts in this thread. Until this post it looked like you had not watched his tape & instead making judgements solely on the fact he has not been ranked yet. And people aren't going to get mad in thinking you are attacking him as long as you keep it about film critique. & if they do then they just have to deal with it.

Everyone is getting so damn butt hurt b/c I said I don't really like the offer....I'd be shocked if they enjoyed me saying "He looks slow, skinny, nothing is explosive in the way he tackles/hits."

If that's what we want...there we go

He looks slow, skinny, nothing is explosive in the way he tackles/hits. 

This is the only useful thing you've contributed to this thread. 

The rest of your post is pure horse***t. You are a classic case of being much better at dishing it than taking it. If you're gonna play tough guy, toughen the hell up. Otherwise you come across as dumb, childish and soft as hell.

Too bad. Seems like you actually do possess some knowledge, but certainly not enough to justify the rest. 

• Facepalm 1

At 6'3" and 215 pounds he has good size for a Junior LB with room to add mass. In all the highlights he never stops so has a very good motor and good speed, he kind of whiffed on some tackles in the backfield because he didn't breakdown but still got a hand on the player and got the tackle that won't work in the SEC. That is something a good coach can fix. He is playing against good competition since he is playing at Auburn. As a DE he beat bigger OT's with speed and relentlessness. His motor and desire is what impressed me the most. I really could not tell how strong he is but on running plays at him when bigger OT's were blocking him he did not get pushed off the line of scrimmage.

The fact he is not rated yet doesn't bother me as all that means is the people doing the rating haven't rated him.  You can't rate a player only off of highlight film as it does not show the bad side.  That said I would be surprised if when rating comes out that he isn't at least a mid 3* but would not be surprised to see him as a low 4*.  With the effort I saw on every play in the film I predict he will be a weight room and film room warrior who will get better from year to year. 

We know he has an offer do we know if it is a committable offer?

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 3

Part of recruiting is evaluating where a player could project to be at 21-22 years old and not where they are at 16 years old.  Does he have the the frame, work ethic, football IQ and dedication to be great.  By no means a simple process.

• Like 1

Don't worry, mods, no need for an intervention. I'm done. Back to Powell Gordon, who would make it sound like we rostered a CPA firm to help teammates take care they chicken. Which is exactly the kind of out-of-the-box thinking Harsin brings to the Plains. 

13 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We know he has an offer do we know if it is a committable offer?

@AuburnNTexasYes. If it wasn't this thread would have gotten merged with the 2022 discussion thread quickly.

Think about the implication of what some of you are saying.

We have a coaching and support analytics staff that is paid upwards of a combined ~$10+ million dollars per year. Their job is to evaluate talent, develop said talent, and then implement the game plan that utilizes said talent such that it leads to wins.

Is the argument here that some former HS gym teacher/coach who gets paid ~$50,000 a year to watch film at 247.com or Rivals.com and then give his/her input the ACTUAL barometer of "judging talent"? The people who break down film at these recruiting services are not paid high-six figure salaries, or at least I would be incredibly surprised if they were.

The reason why they depend so heavily on Camp/All-Star event performances is because it places all of the players on one football field at the same time. We already KNOW that they depend heavily on these events because you'll see this all the time: Player A has an "average day" at ONE camp, and they fall 50+ spots in the very next national rankings. Subsequently you'll see guys go from 3-star to Top 100 (ie: high 4-star) in the same manner. Their HS tape is the same before and after that camp performance. With no camp circuit in ~1.5 years, the rankings in this 2022 class are going to be all over the place - period. You can already find a huge cache of unranked players who are holding 5+ offers from major P5 schools - the recruiting services are BEHIND.

Player evaluation is an inexact science so of course coaches CAN and WILL be "wrong". But use some common sense and defer to the actual authority. What some people on here are describing is no different than when an NFL team selects Joe Schmoe at #10 overall, meanwhile Mel Kiper had that player at #25. Like okay, the NFL scouts and front office execs and coaches who all spend hundreds of hours in analysis are going to be wrong 'X' amount of times - but you're paying an entire staff of professionals at the highest level of their profession to do a job. Are you going to then turn around and defer your opinion to someone in the media who is a "Armchair NFL Draft Expert" LOL?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Lots of anger over an opinion

No anger here. I just think it's a bs take. Yes I would say that recruiting services have access to a lot of the same resources such as film, but to imply that recruiters have the knowledge of a coach or the awareness to be able to see a kid that might not be there now but had a heck of a ceiling and feels like he can get him there. Are both working sometimes? Yes. 

I think you are putting too much into the rankings this class. there are going to be a lot of busts from big time players and a lot of gems from underrated guys just due to the lack of exposure and camp circuits. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JKClark said:

Jason Miska says hi...

That dude was flat out scary...I loved watching him as a student there. One of the nastiest linebackers we ever had.  He already had prison tats as a kid...lol

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yum....no.  Unranked Starting LB/DE on a 7A runner up state championship football team.

Little worried we don't have a coach on defense that knows what an SEC caliber player looks like.

Well go get them then, coach. Since you know what an "SEC caliber" player looks like. 

• Like 1

AU has about 230 known 2022 offers. Obviously they are not all committable. I think 27 have no composite rating at this time. I wonder if our recruiting "expert" is going to evaluate the other 26 no talent recruits. I'm not going to waste my time reading them. Usually the criticism from this forum doesn't start until Auburn accepts a committment from one of these kids.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

That dude was flat out scary...I loved watching him as a student there. One of the nastiest linebackers we ever had.  He already had prison tats as a kid...lol

Yeah...tough as nails. He played basketball at student act and didn't mess around.  Everyone called him "Feet".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek Meant to say this yesterday or the other day whenever you said the same thing but it’s not locked down until they commit to us and sign.

Dang chickens gotta hatch first, you right.