Jump to content
Null

2022 3* LB Powell Gordon Commits To AU!


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Again, how about you say with what you specifically disagree? I didn't compare him to Miska, but the comparisons there are obvious- undersized no-name guy. But I compared him with Sanders and stated exactly why. So tell me the part that you disagree with. 

I thought about Dansby, but this guy doesn't play WR. Dansby also ran a 4.45. Not sure if this guy is that fast. Dansby was also an all-state power forward and ran track. He started at Auburn as a safety. But I guess he was tall and thin, soooo...

Besides, if you want to make a Dansby comparison, then your whole argument against recruiting Gordon is even sillier. 

Why would anyone do that? 

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I think it's just funny it seems like with a white recruit he's always quickly compared to other white kids

Link to post
Share on other sites




  • Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yum....no.  Unranked Starting LB/DE on a 7A runner up state championship football team. Little worried we don't have a coach on defense that knows what an SEC caliber player looks like.

This is just a dumb statement considering none of the players have played in an SEC game yet! Geez

Overrated 

Posted Images

Just now, W.E.D said:

I'm not disagreeing with you.  I think it's just funny it seems like with a white recruit he's always quickly compared to other white kids

You're not wrong. It happens all the time. I'm probably guilty of it. I definitely do it with guys that have similar metrics and play the same position. Every time we sign an RB that's in the 6'0-6'1 range and 185-200, I say he might be the next Kenny Irons. Because I want it to be true.

That's how I am with Craig Sanders. I just really feel like he was this unique guy that was a serviceable player at his position and just a freaking phenom covering kicks. Dude celebrated every tackle like we'd just won a trophy. I want another Craig Sanders. And another Karlos Dansby. And another Dee Ford. And another Kenny Irons, Eric Smith, Will Herring... I got a list, man. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're not wrong. It happens all the time. I'm probably guilty of it. I definitely do it with guys that have similar metrics and play the same position. Every time we sign an RB that's in the 6'0-6'1 range and 185-200, I say he might be the next Kenny Irons. Because I want it to be true.

That's how I am with Craig Sanders. I just really feel like he was this unique guy that was a serviceable player at his position and just a freaking phenom covering kicks. Dude celebrated every tackle like we'd just won a trophy. I want another Craig Sanders. And another Karlos Dansby. And another Dee Ford. And another Kenny Irons, Eric Smith, Will Herring... I got a list, man. 

I thought Kenny was smaller than that.  Kid ran tough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I thought Kenny was smaller than that.  Kid ran tough.

For some reason I convinced myself all these years he was 6'0 195, but his combine metrics were 5'11 203.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, McLoofus said:

For some reason I convinced myself all these years he was 6'0 195, but his combine metrics were 5'11 203.

Feel bad for him.  Injuries really derailed what was looking to be a pretty good NFL career.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

& because I have a loud internet mouth I get confused by some people in thinking I have this trait. I'm loud, talk a lot, but have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.

You have 2 posters agreeing with you but not sure on which part or all.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JKClark said:

Yeah...tough as nails. He played basketball at student act and didn't mess around.  Everyone called him "Feet".

Ahh...The Student Act... I worked there as an Intramural Supervisor...I remember when the football players had the best Intramural basketball squad...not even close.  Jumbo Fisher was a hell of a player as well when he was there with Buster Brown Bowden.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Since ppl think I'm just trolling.  let me say something nice about him.  He does appear to have some Football IQ, albeit on highlights.

He appears to have a good bit of "football IQ". He plays smart everywhere he is lined up from the film.

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

There's some interviews with him after he won player of the week or something and he looks skinny.  Very little muscle.  Almost basketball player type frame.  He lacks the bulk top players will have developed.  Sure he might be able to add weight, but it's difficult for some.

I think he showed good football IQ.  I didn't see much else.  He lacked explosion you see out elite kids.  He's probably a 3* kid.

He is quick enough. From watching the film, kid has a very good motor. The best part is he has a controlled motor. He knows when to throttle down a bit and when to put his petal to the metal. A few times he got into the backfield then accelerated and ran guys down from behind which was pretty impressive. Some guys can't turn their motor off and run themselves out of plays.

He appears to have a good understanding of leverage and shows good bend. He uses his hands very well when he is line up on the LOS. Kid is 16 or 17 years old. He will definitely add some weight and muscle. 

I personally think you are just taking the fact that he doesn't have a 4 or 5 star rank and assuming he is trash. He doesn't have a ranking yet period. It's all good though. You do you. I for one am stoked to have him come to AU. Nice get. WDE

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

He appears to have a good bit of "football IQ". He plays smart everywhere he is lined up from the film.

He is quick enough. From watching the film, kid has a very good motor. The best part is he has a controlled motor. He knows when to throttle down a bit and when to put his petal to the metal. A few times he got into the backfield then accelerated and ran guys down from behind which was pretty impressive. Some guys can't turn their motor off and run themselves out of plays.

He appears to have a good understanding of leverage and shows good bend. He uses his hands very well when he is line up on the LOS. Kid is 16 or 17 years old. He will definitely add some weight and muscle. 

I personally think you are just taking the fact that he doesn't have a 4 or 5 star rank and assuming he is trash. He doesn't have a ranking yet period. It's all good though. You do you. I for one am stoked to have him come to AU. Nice get. WDE

I don't think he's trash.  He's probably and average SEC depth player.  I'm not sure I see him as an impact starter, but he's needed on some teams.  He's probably gonna be a mid level 3* player when ranked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I don't think he's trash.  He's probably and average SEC depth player.  I'm not sure I see him as an impact starter, but he's needed on some teams.  He's probably gonna be a mid level 3* player when ranked.

I don't care where he ends up being ranked. I think he has the tools to be a contributor. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If this young man is believed to be "skinny", then that 215 shows up somewhere. Which means lower body strength the way he pushes blockers into the backfield. Relentless. You can bet every opponent AHS plays this year WILL look for where this kid is lined up. 88 tackles is good, but the 14 sacks and two dozen tackles for loss are game changers. A young Kevin Greene type?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

If this young man is believed to be "skinny", then that 215 shows up somewhere. Which means lower body strength the way he pushes blockers into the backfield. Relentless. You can bet every opponent AHS plays this year WILL look for where this kid is lined up. 88 tackles is good, but the 14 sacks and two dozen tackles for loss are game changers. A young Kevin Greene type?

I wonder if Harsin or Schmedding saw some Leighton Vander Esch in him.  He was a non rated lanky skinny walk on that became a first round NFL draft pick after 4 years at Boise St.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would bet money the coaches have already told him what to do to get better in his senior year. The advice would have been nutrition along with a strength and conditioning program. I would bet money that the Auburn HS has a very modern updated weight room for him to work out in. If he is 215 now I would not be surprised to see him at 220-225 by start of his Senior season.  I know coaches always tell players they are recruiting what they can do to get better.

My son added 15 pounds of muscle and lowered his 40 time to a laser timed 4.85 trying to get a rugby scholarship to a club and college in the UK. He was offered the scholarship when Covid-19 hit and they stopped bringing kids over which is sad because he is to old to do it this coming year. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

He appears to have a good bit of "football IQ". He plays smart everywhere he is lined up from the film.

He is quick enough. From watching the film, kid has a very good motor. The best part is he has a controlled motor. He knows when to throttle down a bit and when to put his petal to the metal. A few times he got into the backfield then accelerated and ran guys down from behind which was pretty impressive. Some guys can't turn their motor off and run themselves out of plays.

He appears to have a good understanding of leverage and shows good bend. He uses his hands very well when he is line up on the LOS. Kid is 16 or 17 years old. He will definitely add some weight and muscle. 

I personally think you are just taking the fact that he doesn't have a 4 or 5 star rank and assuming he is trash. He doesn't have a ranking yet period. It's all good though. You do you. I for one am stoked to have him come to AU. Nice get. WDE

Sounds like an interesting fit for our ST’s also.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a couple of offers that I wondered about, but it's creating more curiosity in me than concern. I want a crystal ball so I can spy on the strategy meetings and hear what they are thinking. This guy looks too skinny for SEC LB, but who knows what the coaches are evaluating on, or what the long term strategy is? The next 12 months are going to be interesting. In the meantime, I think it's fair to raise questions around NR recruits when we aren't seeing much talk (or at least I'm not) around higher ranked recruits at the same position. It at least makes for interesting discussion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Lots of mocking anger over an opinion....

I'm just glad we're going to be able to compete with Bama and UGA b/c we'll uncover every unknown prospect that is a 2* or NR that is actually good.  That's a true plan of attack

You're on to something big. Obviously the current/new coaching staff, barely 2 months on the job, is deliberately not going after higher rated kids, whom EVERYONE already has a 1-2 year head start. Have you made that follow up call to CBH to remind him of your interest? You can be that voice in the room for us fans to constantly remind the staff to recruit only 4 & 5 star guys. Particularly those committed/leaning to Bama/uga. We need someone with your evaluating skills (able to read recruiting rankings) yelling in CBH's ear to get with it.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

You're on to something big. Obviously the current/new coaching staff, barely 2 months on the job, is deliberately not going after higher rated kids, whom EVERYONE already has a 1-2 year head start. Have you made that follow up call to CBH to remind him of your interest? You can be that voice in the room for us fans to constantly remind the staff to recruit only 4 & 5 star guys. Particularly those committed/leaning to Bama/uga. We need someone with your evaluating skills (able to read recruiting rankings) yelling in CBH's ear to get with it.

Now that's a good post......well thought out, precise, straight to the point and accurate...............thank you so much post more often

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Now that's a good post......well thought out, precise, straight to the point and accurate...............thank you so much post more often

You bet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

You're on to something big. Obviously the current/new coaching staff, barely 2 months on the job, is deliberately not going after higher rated kids, whom EVERYONE already has a 1-2 year head start. Have you made that follow up call to CBH to remind him of your interest? You can be that voice in the room for us fans to constantly remind the staff to recruit only 4 & 5 star guys. Particularly those committed/leaning to Bama/uga. We need someone with your evaluating skills (able to read recruiting rankings) yelling in CBH's ear to get with it.

Jesus you're defeated already. Can't recruit anyone worth a s*** bc Bama and UGA are already on it. 

This might be the most cowardice comment I've seen. There are about 350 4* players each year. Bama and UGA can't get them all. I'm glad Harsin is going to go after kids you don't think we can land 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Can't recruit anyone worth a s*** bc Bama and UGA are already on it. 

 going to go after kids you don't think we can land 

That's not what he said. At all.

He said 1-2 year head start- as in relationships. If there's a comparable player that meets your needs/specifications, has no major recruiting competition, and wants to be at Auburn, why would you waste your resources?

This staff is using smart, targeted, planned recruiting to a T. I'm impressed with their system so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slyinsocal said:

You're on to something big. Obviously the current/new coaching staff, barely 2 months on the job, is deliberately not going after higher rated kids, whom EVERYONE already has a 1-2 year head start. Have you made that follow up call to CBH to remind him of your interest? You can be that voice in the room for us fans to constantly remind the staff to recruit only 4 & 5 star guys. Particularly those committed/leaning to Bama/uga. We need someone with your evaluating skills (able to read recruiting rankings) yelling in CBH's ear to get with it.

CooperativeCheerfulGrosbeak-max-1mb.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

He said 1-2 year head start- as in relationships. If there's a comparable player that meets your needs/specifications, has no major recruiting competition, and wants to be at Auburn, why would you waste your resources?

@WDE_OxPx_2010Thanks but I've tried explaining the relationship thing & importance of it in recruiting to him at least 3 times. Either he doesn't buy it or it hasn't sunk in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Jesus you're defeated already. Can't recruit anyone worth a s*** bc Bama and UGA are already on it. 

This might be the most cowardice comment I've seen. There are about 350 4* players each year. Bama and UGA can't get them all. I'm glad Harsin is going to go after kids you don't think we can land 

Obviously you're an expert at muscling your way into long term relationships on the recruiting trail. Have you made that follow up call yet? Maybe you can teach the coaching staff how to effectively do that without pissing on ANY chance at establishing bonds with HS coaches and future recruits. And thanks for reminding me that Bama and uga are NOT the only schools with a 1-2 year head start. Good job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@WDE_OxPx_2010Thanks but I've tried explaining the relationship thing & importance of it in recruiting to him at least 3 times. Either he doesn't buy it or it hasn't sunk in.

You're under the impression that we can't recruit any kids bc he might have a longer relationship with other coaches. 

That's absolutely ridiculous. If that's the case we'd be cut out if every single recruit in the south east bc half our staff ain't from here. 

Harsin is going to offer and recruit kids that have been talking to other schools for over a year. I can't fathom the loser mentality that we can't possibly get any of these kids. 

Are we starting at a disadvantage? Yes. 

Can we over come that? Yes

Will we recruit top kids around us? Yes

If y'all are content with 2 classes of kids ranked around 400-700 in the nation then we've already lost. I know Harsin isn't 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ellitor changed the title to 2022 3* LB Powell Gordon Commits To AU!
  • bigbird pinned and featured this topic
  • bigbird unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...