2022 3* LB Powell Gordon Commits To AU!

Paladin

KN and Jason Caldwell both put in Crystal Balls for Auburn,

Tigers offer Auburn High standout Powell Gordon, could be tough to beat

By

KEITH NIEBUHR 88 minutes ago

Auburn on Thursday evening offered Powell Gordon, a standout linebacker at nearby Auburn (Ala.) High. And with it, the Tigers almost certainly became the front-runner in Gordon's recruitment.

"They might be hard to beat," Gordon told Auburn Undercover.

Gordon, listed at 6-feet-3, 215-pounds, helped lead Auburn High to a Class 7A state runner-up finish in 2020. He ended the season with 88 tackles, 14 sacks and around two dozen tackles for loss. The Tigers are the eighth program to offer but the first from a Power 5 conference.

"It means a lot," Gordon said. "That's my childhood favorite team ever since I was born -- and still is."

Gordon's offer came from Tigers coach Bryan Harsin and inside linebackers coach Jeff Schmedding. Gordon played on the edge and in the middle last season.

"They like my versatility and that I can play in the middle or fit anywhere else on the field, really," Gordon said. 

In addition to his current offers, Gordon also is hearing a lot from programs such as Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Duke.

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 1

92 minutes ago

Auburn on Thursday evening offered Powell Gordon, a standout linebacker at nearby Auburn (Ala.) High. And with it, the Tigers almost certainly became the front-runner in Gordon's recruitment.

Gordon, listed at 6-feet-3, 215-pounds, helped lead Auburn High to a Class 7A state runner-up finish in 2020. He ended the season with 88 tackles, 14 sacks and around two dozen tackles for loss. The Tigers are the eighth program to offer but the first from a Power 5 conference.

"It means a lot," Gordon said. "That's my childhood favorite team ever since I was born -- and still is."

Gordon's offer came from Tigers coach Bryan Harsin and inside linebackers coach Jeff Schmedding. Gordon played on the edge and in the middle last season.

"They like my versatility and that I can play in the middle or fit anywhere else on the field, really," Gordon said. 

12COMMENTS

In addition to his current offers, Gordon also is hearing a lot from programs such as Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Duke.

Based on our current intel, we believe Gordon likely is a take for Auburn. After signing just one linebacker in the 2021 class, the Tigers are aiming for a bigger haul there for the 2022 cycle.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m usually pretty skeptic with a guy rated this low (or not ranked at all), but this guy looks like he could potentially be a stud. Seems pretty quick. And he seems like he could have a future at multiple positions. I expect him to blow up. I also think Covid has played a role in a lot of these lower rated guys not being able to get rated higher due to the lack of exposure. 

38 minutes ago, toddc said:

92 minutes ago

12COMMENTS

Based on our current intel, we believe Gordon likely is a take for Auburn. After signing just one linebacker in the 2021 class, the Tigers are aiming for a bigger haul there for the 2022 cycle.

Yum....no.  Unranked Starting LB/DE on a 7A runner up state championship football team.

Little worried we don't have a coach on defense that knows what an SEC caliber player looks like.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Dislike 7

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 NR LB Powell Gordon
11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Well we've locked down our backyard.

Hope this pays dividends when bigger fish come down the line that might've - for whatever reason - felt discontent with how Gus has recruited the area. Not saying any of this is reality, but I figure that's the long term idea here 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

And Vandy doesn't count as SEC caliber.

Maybe vandy doesn’t but Kentucky dang sure does when it comes to LBs. 

it’s early and I’m sure there are plenty of prospects that haven’t yet been fully evaluated by sites, especially with all the restrictions Covid has brought. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Well we've locked down our backyard.

@Zeek Meant to say this yesterday or the other day whenever you said the same thing but it’s not locked down until they commit to us and sign.

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2022 NR LB Powell Gordon

I guess we’ll see how this one goes but... the kid looks quick, fast, uses his hands well, and makes a lot of plays (I know, it’s a highlight film, lol). Would be nice to see some hometown kids actually want to play at AU....

30 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Little worried we don't have a coach on defense that knows what an SEC caliber player looks like.

@W.E.D What makes you think they don’t? Because of Covid there are a lot of guys in the 2022 class who have not been rated yet. Remember this is still very early in the cycle for that class. A whole lot of rankings still yet to be doled out.

88 tackles and 14 sacks is a lot of production in Alabama‘s highest classification of high school football.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yum....no.  Unranked Starting LB/DE on a 7A runner up state championship football team.

This is just a dumb statement considering none of the players have played in an SEC game yet! Geez

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There hasn’t been a camp circuit in over a year and the class of 2022 will probably be the most lopsided ranked class in history with tons of guys not being ranked where they probably should because of the lack of eyes on them. 

Just because he’s unranked right now doesn’t mean he’s some bum that our coaches think is a Diamond in the rough over a year and a half before he’d even be on campus. These dudes get paid millions to evaluate and execute the talent in front of them maybe give them more than 6 months before you start bashing their evaluations. 

Edited by ClaytonAU
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@W.E.D What makes you think they don’t? Because of Covid there are a lot of guys in the 2022 class who have not been rated yet. Remember this is still very early in the cycle for that class. A whole lot of rankings still yet to be doled out.

88 tackles and 14 sacks is a lot of production in Alabama‘s highest classification of high school football.

Eh, these kids are still playing and have a ton of film.  

Grades won't be an issue with Duke and Vandy pursuing this kid. Congrats to the young man on that part. 

Edited by gr82be
Spell check
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, toddc said:

This is just a dumb statement considering none of the players have played in an SEC game yet! Geez

And by god our MNW boys will make these kids SEC players

• Dislike 4

9 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

There hasn’t been a camp circuit in over a year and the class of 2022 will probably be the most lopsided ranked class in history with tons of guys not being ranked where they probably should because of the lack of eyes on them. 

Just because he’s unranked right now doesn’t mean he’s some bum that our coaches think is a Diamond in the rough over a year and a half before he’d even be on campus. These dudes get paid millions to evaluate and execute the talent in front of them maybe give them more than 6 months before you start bashing their evaluations. 

Eh, most don't get paid millions.  I'm fans of the staff.  I'm more bullish than most on where I think our class will end up.  Some of these offers don't make sense.  It's ok to be both positive and negative on a subject.  I ain't on this one

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Eh, these kids are still playing and have a ton of film.  

Yes but it’s still harder for recruiting sites to rate kids in the Covid era because guess what they’ve had to fire people to to save money. Not as many people to watch and rate film as normal.

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

And by god our MNW boys will make these kids SEC players

It was too bad Urban Myer’s then mountain west boys from Utah couldn’t make the Florida recruits into SEC talent… Oh wait, they did!

Can we please stop with these misinformed way too early hot takes.? Let’s let things play out on the field for crying out loud.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Some of these offers don't make sense.  It's ok to be both positive and negative on a subject.

It also doesn’t make sense to assume that just because a kid hasn’t been rated yet that he’s not a quality recruit or player? Or that the recruiting sites know more than a staff. If they did they would be coaches instead of talent evaluators. Also there are many recruits at this early stage each year that are either unranked or very underrated who turned out to be much higher ranked and or have quality college careers.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It was too bad Urban Myer’s then mountain west boys from Utah couldn’t make the Florida recruits into SEC talent… Oh wait, they did!

Can we please stop with these misinformed way too early hot takes.? Let’s let things play out on the field for crying out loud.

Lmao let's wait and compare UF's classes to our's with unranked kids (mid 3* at best) from major schools