From the Rant. is it true?

aubiefifty

this was on the rant and it seemed very legit. posted by a bama fan and even the auburn folks were talking about how he is always caring about folks.................is there anyway we can help him if legit?

Down at the beach (Seaside/Seagrove area of 30A) is a guy who claims to have been the second ever "Aubie" mascot. (1982-1984). He is homeless, and living on the beach behind the new condos that just went up in Seagrove. We help him out when we are down at the house (food, water, basic supplies), but he really needs more than the chicken finger snacks he always requests from Publix.
If there is an "Auburn Alumni Benevolence Fund", and he really was "Aubie", maybe you guys can look him up, and help him out. He seems to be slipping more and more each time we see him, and I fear that he really is endangered.

He's a nice guy - just lost his way. and eating out of dumpsters. this one just kills me.

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I tried to look up who the mascot for those years would have been. I couldn't find it. But I did find this fantastic article on the first few years of Aubie. Take the time to read it. It's worth it.https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/09/40-years-ago-aubie-the-tiger-jumped-into-mascot-history.html

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AUCE05 said:

Who are you on the rant?

nobody. i was aubie something but it has been so long ago i cannot remember my name or password. i was banned for advertising another site and i thought it was a perma ban but maybe not. i just  read whats going on but never post. the site i loved was the old vle site but they got crazy and racist and i left. but it was cool. you could tell the mods anything you wanted and could not be banned and sadly people turned it into something mostly ugly.

this is supposed to be a pick of him. he looks ok. will include some text in a moment i think  lol

aubie.jpg

May 22, 2019.  Seaside, the Beach, J. T. Thomas and Carrot, the Feral Cat.  I have included several more pictures from Seaside.  There are several architectural structures which appeal to the eye.  They also appeal to the camera.  I have told you this before, but you may have forgotten.  Seaside is where the movie, Truman staring Jim Carrey, was filmed.  

We have been walking on the beach at sunset.  The beach isn't as crowded and the indirect light of the sun is less harsh.  There is always a picture begging to be taken.  Even Annie Farkley took one tonight.  

We have noticed the same, well-tanned, man on the beach each time we have walked.  He appears to be in his late 50s.  We have speculated about him.  He sets up what looks like a homeless camp with three chairs, an umbrella, a sleeping bag and a critter cage.  Tonight we discovered that his name is J. T Thomas.  He says he is on the beach 365 days every year.  

I struck up a conversation with him as we were leaving the beach.  He is a 1980s graduate of Auburn.  His degree is in Chemistry.  He has never used his degree.  

While at Auburn, he was the school mascot, Aubie.  He worked as Peter Pan at Disney World and was the first mascot for the Charlotte Hornets, an NBA team.  He worked with Jim Henson and the Muppets for several years.  Now, he lives in Seagrove year-round.  He mows a few yards and does light landscaping work for meal money.  Carrot is a feral cat that he feeds.  Carrot allows J. T. to hold him and sleeps on one of J. T.'s chairs under the umbrella during the day.   All this he told us.  It is such a good story that I repeat it to you.  I honestly don't know how much is true, maybe it all is.  According to Google, there was a mascot at Auburn named J.T. Thomas.  

Tomorrow is our last day in Seagrove.  The next missive will come to you from Gulfport, MS.  We will be there until June 1.  It is no coincidence that June 1 is also the first day of the hurricane season.  Annie doesn't like storms, you know.  

"Nothing Is Sweeter Than Family."  I saw it, I liked it, I agree with it and I photographed it just for you.  

i have probably been hoodwinked but it looks legit...............

Goodnight.  

hell maybe he does not need help? this is the last i post of him i will put up.

Yes - that's him. Everyone treats him well in Seaside (that I've seen), and he certainly never eats out of any dumpsters. The help he needs now is not food, but maybe some medical attention as his mental state seems to be in sharp decline.

But - he seems completely happy every time I see him, so he's got that going for him.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

He says he is on the beach 365 days every year.  

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Now, he lives in Seagrove year-round.  He mows a few yards and does light landscaping work for meal money.

Sounds like he lives a life that many folks spend a career trying to attain.

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to From the Rant. is it true?
  • 2 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 5:09 PM, aubiefifty said:

nobody. i was aubie something but it has been so long ago i cannot remember my name or password. i was banned for advertising another site and i thought it was a perma ban but maybe not. i just  read whats going on but never post. the site i loved was the old vle site but they got crazy and racist and i left. but it was cool. you could tell the mods anything you wanted and could not be banned and sadly people turned it into something mostly ugly.

Hi, I’m not an Auburn grad, but did a search for J. T. Thomas and Carrot the cat and found this discussion. We met J. T., the homeless AU grad and his cat, Carrot, a couple of weeks ago at Seagrove. We talked with him almost every day on the beach. I became curious about his Aubie story and did a search of all Aubies. It seems that there was an alternate Aubie in the early 80s named J. T. Thomas, I think around 1981 or 82. You can Google “Complete list” of Aubies and find that there was a lead Aubie and usually 2 alternates. J.T. mentioned knowing Barry Mask, the lead Aubie around that time. So either J. T.’s story is true, or he’s using someone else’s name. I kinda think it’s true. My heart goes out to this man, who says he has lived on the beach around 20 years, moving from one beach to another at times. He may seem like he has a carefree life, but where does he go in stormy weather, hurricanes and such? He seems happy, but his skin is like leather from too much sun and he says he’s had 2 heart attacks and a stroke. I really would like to see some organized effort to provide him with some kind of shelter. Not sure how he ended up homeless.

Okay, I'm 100% on board with helping AU grads in difficult situations. BUT!

Here's a guy who just makes claims and has no real evidence of connections. Real? I dunno. But the next day he could put on an FSU hat and hold out his hand.

Not sure I'd drop $100 in his pocket.