Herb Hand

auburn4ever

2 minutes ago, gravejd said:

i swear Gus must have the smallest coaching bubble in the history of coaching. 

May be the best option he could find with the timing and budget restrictions.

19 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

You mean JB wasn't available?

21 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

What would have been the reason for the poor offensive line coach hires he made at Auburn? Time and budget were not a restriction. 

Things are no different at Central Florida, his coaching tree is limbless.

42 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I don't think many guys are waiting in line to hop on the bus. He's gonna hire his guys and do things his way and never change. 

Same thing will happen in a couple years when he leaves for the ACC or Big 12. 

I wish him well and great success because I like Gus the man, but Gus the coach has got to get out of his own head.

Time to move all things CGM to somewhere else!

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You mean JB wasn't available?

Gus may have been too loyal after JB "recovered from" Cancer but there are worse things than misplaced loyalty. JB was a legit coach and recruiter pre diagnosis.

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

By far. 

It's actually really cool though to see all the young Auburn kids get a shot.  He's had some success with promoting inexperienced younger coaches into position roles.  I'm glad he's no longer our coach, but pumped seeing a bunch of our players get well paying coaching jobs

2 hours ago, Paladin said:

What would have been the reason for the poor offensive line coach hires he made at Auburn? Time and budget were not a restriction. 

Things are no different at Central Florida, his coaching tree is limbless.

I thought the thread was about this choice not past choices. I am not trying to support those at all.

19 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I thought the thread was about this choice not past choices. I am not trying to support those at all.

Except this choice is the same as past choices. Same as it ever was...

Just now, McLoofus said:

Except this choice is the same as past choices. Same as it ever was...

But I don’t believe the last time he hired Hand it wasn’t this late in normal coaching changes cycle and was at UCF which I assume has less available money in the table as AU would have ( my original point), so not at all the same circumstances.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Time to move all things CGM to somewhere else!

Maybe put it here!

dumpsters-trumbull-ct.jpg

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

But I don’t believe the last time he hired Hand it wasn’t this late in normal coaching changes cycle and was at UCF which I assume has less available money in the table as AU would have ( my original point), so not at all the same circumstances.

Except, as @bigbird pointed out, Auburn did have that money and Gus did have plenty of time after Hand left Auburn, and Gus immediately called JB Grimes. Didn't even consider a single other candidate, and there were strong candidates available at the time. 

The point is that the circumstances might change, but the thought processes don't. Applicable to literally every aspect of his approach to coaching.

5 minutes ago, Hopsing said:

Maybe put it here!

dumpsters-trumbull-ct.jpg

I loved CGM and stood up for him too long, but every thread on him turns into a bashing thread and I’m sick of it. I think these should be moved to all things Auburn or whatever. 

10 minutes ago, toddc said:

I loved CGM and stood up for him too long, but every thread on him turns into a bashing thread and I’m sick of it. I think these should be moved to all things Auburn or whatever. 

Gus gets discussed openly and honestly just like most stuff does. It was up to him to keep the conversation positive. Didn't happen.

Also, he was our head coach for 8 years, and our OC for 3 of the 4 years prior to that. We haven't played a single game since his last one. It could be argued that this is still his team more than the new guy's. Gonna be awhile before his name isn't a regular fixture in the conversation. Everything the new guy does is going to be compared to how things were for the last 5 seasons. That's not "bashing". That's just how analysis works. Did Auburn do the right thing? Are we getting better? Gotta have something against which to compare results. 

Along those same lines, it is only normal, natural and logical for Auburn fans to continue to follow Gus's career. I think most of us are hoping he does well. But we're going to discuss it honestly either way. 

The conversation is ongoing and it should be. Hell, Auburn's still paying the man! 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Do you like the hire?

I know I am probably in the minority on this thread but I do believe this was a good hire. He has been hired by many good strong coaches ( other than Malzahn) and institutions ( Tulsa (hired away), Vanderbilt/Pen St- Franklin( hired away), Texas ( was not retained by new coaching regime)). Probably more I am not aware of and was usually Asst. HC or OC/OL coach.

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I know I am probably in the minority on this thread but I do believe this was a good hire. He has been hired by many good strong coaches ( other than Malzahn) and institutions ( Tulsa (hired away), Vanderbilt/Pen St- Franklin( hired away), Texas ( was not retained by new coaching regime)). Probably more I am not aware of and was usually Asst. HC or OC/OL coach.

He could be a good hire and i hope he and Malzahn do great at UCF. Its just amazing to me that Gus is so limited that he chooses to rehire coaches that he previously fired or left under questionable circumstances. And limited may not be the right word.....i don't know what causes him to not branch out his circle. Every coach wants to have people they are familiar with and that fine but this is pretty odd ball stuff.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Do you like the hire?

This board is kind of weird when it comes to Herb Hand. Folks by and large seem to be ready to criticize Malzahn for hiring him and by extension, Hand as a coach. But I seem to recall folks being complimentary of Hand when he was hired by Texas. What's up with that?

21 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

But I seem to recall folks being complimentary of Hand when he was hired by Texas. What's up with that?

Ill iinformed?

3 hours ago, toddc said:

I appreciate the good things he did, and have no ill will towards him. However, at this time I’m personally over all the conversations regarding him, and my opinion is to move on and all support towards new staff, and team. 
That said, I was only offering an option for the poster looking for a place to put all things regarding CGM. Just trying to help!

please see humor in all this! Check my posts and anyone will see that is my offerings to the group!

3 minutes ago, Hopsing said:

I appreciate the good things he did, and have no ill will towards him. However, at this time I’m personally over all the conversations regarding him, and my opinion is to move on and all support towards new staff, and team. 
That said, I was only offering an option for the poster looking for a place to put all things regarding CGM. Just trying to help!

please see humor in all this! Check my posts and anyone will see that is my offerings to the group!

I gave a laugh emoji to your post. Wasn’t going at you for your post, but everything else that always goes on towards CGM since he left. I’m with you on moving forward brother and that’s what I’m really ready to do and focus on CBH’s team now.

Archived