Worst Auburn performance you ever witnessed

AUght2win

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted Gus gone more than anyone. And he deserved it. But let it never be forgotten he took THAT team to within seconds of a Natty the next season. Truly the greatest turnaround season in college football history.

3 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I was young, but 1990 vs. Florida at the swamp was bad.  48-7.  Pat Dye teams just didn’t lose like that.

Before my time, but Dad said Dye never had any answer for Spurrier teams. Said Florida owned him.

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Before my time, but Dad said Dye never had any answer for Spurrier teams. Said Florida owned him.

This is true.  Dye had his struggles against the Gators in general.  I am pretty sure he had a losing record against them.

This is one of the worst I saw, too. We were picked by a lot of media heads to win the national title. Yet we were absolutely humiliated in the opener. Granted, we went up against what would be one of the greatest rosters in college football history. But an argument can be made that our roster was also historically good.

I mean, we had a Thorpe winner, 2 top 5 pick runningbacks, an SEC POTY and 1st round QB, future pro-bowlers in McNeill and Ratliff. Those guys all stuck around in 04. But the key piece for 2003 was arguably one of the best defensive players in school history - Karlos Dansby. We were loaded and got dominated.

Interesting note - this game killed a new Auburn tradition before it got started. Legendary radio announcer Jim Fyffe had died suddenly prior to the season. Auburn wanted to honor his signature "Touchdown Auburn" call by starting a new tradition. When Auburn scored, the North half of the stadium was supposed to yell "TOUCHDOWN" and be answered by the South half with "AUBURN!". The cheerleaders practiced it with the crowd in pregame. Turns out it was a bad jinx. We never scored, and the tradition was scrapped. 

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

This is one of the worst I saw, too. We were picked by a lot of media heads to win the national title. Yet we were absolutely humiliated in the opener. Granted, we went up against what would be one of the greatest rosters in college football history. But an argument can be made that our roster was also historically good.

I mean, we had a Thorpe winner, 2 top 5 pick runningbacks, an SEC POTY and 1st round QB, future pro-bowlers in McNeill and Ratliff. Those guys all stuck around in 04. But the key piece for 2003 was arguably one of the best defensive players in school history - Karlos Dansby. We were loaded and got dominated.

Interesting note - this game killed a new Auburn tradition before it got started. Legendary radio announcer Jim Fyffe had died suddenly prior to the season. Auburn wanted to honor his signature "Touchdown Auburn" call by starting a new tradition. When Auburn scored, the North half of the stadium was supposed to yell "TOUCHDOWN" and be answered by the South half with "AUBURN!". The cheerleaders practiced it with the crowd in pregame. Turns out it was a bad jinx. We never scored, and the tradition was scrapped. 

2003 was, and still is, a season of confusion to me.  You are right.  The pieces were definitely in place, but the culture and confidence just wasn’t there.  The Nalsminger (Nall and Ensminger as Co-OCs) experiment was a total disaster.  They beat some good teams (UT was a top 10 and Arkansas and Matt Jones was a good road win), but they also dropped some head scratchers (Ga Tech and Ole Miss).  Lots of people have said the Iron Bowl win saved Tubby, but that was a terrible 4-9 Bama team that they only beat by 5 at JHS.  What saved his job was the public embarrassment of JetGate.

40 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It was also a flipping hot day in early September. Geez that game was miserable.

Runner-up on the opposite end of the spectrum...Kentucky 2009 was FREEZING and we sucked

10 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

It was also a flipping hot day in early September. Geez that game was miserable.

Runner-up on the opposite end of the spectrum...Kentucky 2009 was FREEZING and we sucked

Yeah I remember it being a real safety issue. Was it this game or 2014 Arkansas that a bunch of fans were hospitalized? 

7 minutes ago, Paladin said:

The 2002 Arkansas game. Fred Talley ran through Auburn for 241 yards, and rumor has it he still running today.

Tubbs would win games he had absolutely no business winning and lose games he had absolutely no business losing.

31 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yeah I remember it being a real safety issue. Was it this game or 2014 Arkansas that a bunch of fans were hospitalized? 

Not sure, but I was at 2014 Arkansas and it was MISERABLE with a 2:30 kickoff and sitting in the upper deck.  I remember my sunscreen melting off and running into my socks.  Then a huge thunderstorm rolled through and led to an hour and a half delay.  Not to mention that Jeremy Johnson started the first half of the game and played fantastic.  Crazy day on the plains!

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

FSU @ Auburn, 1987. Loss at home, 34-6. 

I was there. Took my ex pa in law. Never forget Dye and Bowden shrugging their shoulders after the 1st quarter. I don't think Dye ever showed that film to his guys. Said sometimes you can't wipe your......

2 hours ago, Paladin said:

The 2002 Arkansas game. Fred Talley ran through Auburn for 241 yards, and rumor has it he is still running today.

My son was like 11 when we went to this game.  He still can't stand ro talk about this game! 

Baton Rouge 2003. Game delayed by lightning. We decided we couldn't field a punt. Our tickets backed up against LSU fans and they poured drinks in our seats the entire game. 

I bought season tickets for the 2006 season + Away IB Tickets from the wife of a disassociated booster...he's apparently not allowed to have his name in the system b/c god forbid he gave some money to recruits.  🤣🤣🤣

My goal was to break even on the season.  I gave away the Buffalo, Tulane, Ark State games to some Bunker posters with kids that wanted an easy game.  Hoped that maybe gave me some good luck.

I had Florida, UGA, LSU, & @Bama, Arkansas.  I had to sell 2 of the 5.  Tuscaloosa was out of the question so that one was gone $500.  Next was really tough, I love the UF rivalry.  But let it go.  Another $400  So I missed tubs beating Urban in JHS.  I did go to the Swamp and watch him win in 2007 tho.

Luckily I watched us beat LSU 7-3.  That game was great, I can't imagine how awful that game might be today.

Back to the main topic.....

Tubs vs Arkansas 2006

Tubs vs UGA 2006

Jesus christ these were awful games.  DMAC absolutely destroyed us and Felix Jones did a number too.  Then UGA...Brandon Cox threw more interceptions than completions and it was just a god awful game.

I've been to some freakin awful UGA games.  I went to Athens in 2014 too.

7 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Baton Rouge 2003. Game delayed by lightning. We decided we couldn't field a punt. Our tickets backed up against LSU fans and they poured drinks in our seats the entire game. 

Went to that game too.  In college.  We parked our car and just walked around campus all day.  Got real drunk.  Had some good LSU fans, but some woman assaults me, steals my shaker and proceeds to rip it apart and mocks me...I can't fight a woman.  We get destroyed, then we can't find our way back to our car.  Had to call Foy Student Union to help us find our car.  They helped.

We then drove to Biloxi, gambled, won money and headed to some parents house in Fairhope

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I consider that the worst game I ever experienced in Jordan-Hare.  Going to it was basically a last-minute thing, and we ended up with USC fans all around us.  Fortunately, they were mostly gracious, but the intended tribute to Fyffe, followed by a shutout, was painful.

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I'll start. 2012 AT HOME vs. Texas A&M. 49-7 before we put in Jonathan Franklin. 

It’s hard to recall a worse, more embarrassing game. No effort. I don’t think his name was Jonathan Franklin but I remember who you are talking about. 
edit....Jonathan Wallace. 

I was a young boy at both of those tenn and Nebraska games mentioned above (awful games but special time w my dad) but I hated the bammer game at home where Zow (?) was their qb and we lost like 31-7.  That was one LONG ride home. 

26 minutes ago, alexava said:

It’s hard to recall a worse, more embarrassing game. No effort. I don’t think his name was Jonathan Franklin but I remember who you are talking about. 
edit....Jonathan Wallace. 

Yes absolutely, thank you. I saw Wallace play in high school and always liked him. He should have been the QB earlier in the year. Not that it would have made too much difference.

Archived