Jump to content
Null

Worst Auburn performance you ever witnessed


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Reminds me of the 1996 Army game. Dameyune was on fire the first 3 quarters. Up 32-7 going into the 4th Q. Army dominated the 4th Q with their Wishbone and would have won in OT, but missed a 27-yard FG with 33 seconds left. I had never been more relieved about a game when he missed it.

I watched that meltdown on YouTube the other night. I could not believe my eyes. Auburn was DOMINATING and then just stopped playing football. 

Link to post
Share on other sites




  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll start. 2012 AT HOME vs. Texas A&M. 49-7 before we put in Jonathan Wallace.   

1980 on the Plains, Tennessee 42-0... the beginning of the end for Doug Barfield.

It was also a flipping hot day in early September. Geez that game was miserable. Runner-up on the opposite end of the spectrum...Kentucky 2009 was FREEZING and we sucked

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I wasn't there, but I can't believe this game hasn't been mentioned. Auburn-UGA 2006. Both losses from that year were AWFUL. But we were number 5, at home, with UGA unranked. We were still very much in the national title hunt.

Brandon Cox was a vet at that point, and went 4-12 for 35 yards with 4 INTs. 

It was a downpour that day and the stands emptied out early. I have never seen JHS that empty outside of a pandemic. 

 

You could argue that game kept Auburn out of BCS bowl (maybe even the NCG if they beat Florida a second time, Arkansas owned the tiebreaker over AU that year)

 

Watching that game sucked so hard. They looked like they would have rather been anywhere but JHS.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst performance was the Tony Franklin season and an offensive staff that refused to work with him to run an effective offense.   Those assistant coaches ruined a bunch of guys senior season and disgraced Auburn.  Tubbs  showed what a terrible leader he was and that he had no balls.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

September, 1980. 42-0 beatdown by Tennessee in newly expanded JHS. Hot as hell, fans being carried out left and right. Big deal about the first big game in the "bigger" stadium. Horrible experience!

On the post game radio show, Doug Barfield lost it, said a bunch of people "can go to hell". Truly, a Saturday to Forget.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

The worst performance was the Tony Franklin season and an offensive staff that refused to work with him to run an effective offense.   Those assistant coaches ruined a bunch of guys senior season and disgraced Auburn.  Tubbs  showed what a terrible leader he was and that he had no balls.  

2008 sucked so hard. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2008 Tennessee is probably the worst game I've seen in person. I was a sophomore and my mom and younger brother came up for the game. It was their first time attending a game and they got to watch two listless, un-motivated teams compete to see who could play offense worse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AUAlumnTN said:

2008 Tennessee is probably the worst game I've seen in person. I was a sophomore and my mom and younger brother came up for the game. It was their first time attending a game and they got to watch two listless, un-motivated teams compete to see who could play offense worse. 

That was my freshman year and my first AU game in JH. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 2:43 PM, AUght2win said:

I wasn't there, but I can't believe this game hasn't been mentioned. Auburn-UGA 2006. Both losses from that year were AWFUL. But we were number 5, at home, with UGA unranked. We were still very much in the national title hunt.

Brandon Cox was a vet at that point, and went 4-12 for 35 yards with 4 INTs. 

It was a downpour that day and the stands emptied out early. I have never seen JHS that empty outside of a pandemic. 

 

The Arky game that year was perfectly understandable. They had one of the best backfields in modern SEC history and were coming off a bye week. Plus we were behind by just seven at half.

Georgia...oh...my...god, easily the most inexplicable performance I've witnessed. At 1:30 of that video I knew we were up a creek. We still haven't really recovered from that game.

For the last decade, my two most hated games are 2014 A&M and 2017 LSU.

But since this is worst performance, I would have to go with Arkansas 2012.

Edited by AUwent
Link to post
Share on other sites

1973 Auburn vs Tennessee  Lost 0-21  The worst road performance of the latter 20th century.

Game followed two epic wins against the Vols in '71 and '72

Auburn fumbled the first possession and a driving rainstorm ensued.

I was visiting friends and sitting in the student section.  Everyone had an umbrella to divert the rainstorm onto my head.  Auburns offense was so inept that Coach Bill Battle had Tennessee punt on 1st down the entire 4th qtr.  The student section serenaded the visitors by singing "Auburn, Auburn how'd you like to KMA"  Real classy folks in the hill country!

The good news is that in that era the payback game was an item.

Check the score from Legion Field in 1974.

Little doc

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it was the first game I attended during my freshman year, in 1981.  A 24-21 loss to freaking Wake Forest.  At home.  Our record was 5-6 that year.  Bo Jackson came to Auburn the year after that, and things got better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2011, 2012, and 2014 Auburn vs. UGA all stick out to me. Some of those games we flat out quit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you take out ALL of 2012 the worst AU performance I've ever seen in person was the October 14th 2009 Kentucky game at Jordan Hare. WTF was that?! One of THE worst offensive passing performances of futility of all time. That's why I can't take people seriously when they try and champion for Chris Todd. He was garbage for the most part in sec play and goosed up his stats against the non conference. That night Todd was a robust 10 of 24 for 80 yards and a interception....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

If you take out ALL of 2012 the worst AU performance I've ever seen in person was the October 14th 2009 Kentucky game at Jordan Hare. WTF was that?! One of THE worst offensive passing performances of futility of all time. That's why I can't take people seriously when they try and champion for Chris Todd. He was garbage for the most part in sec play and goosed up his stats against the non conference. That night Todd was a robust 10 of 24 for 80 yards and a interception....

The 2009 KY game was a precursor for the Malzahn decade ahead.  Start fast with scripted plays and then chase your own tail for 3.5 quarters.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

If you take out ALL of 2012 the worst AU performance I've ever seen in person was the October 14th 2009 Kentucky game at Jordan Hare. WTF was that?! One of THE worst offensive passing performances of futility of all time. That's why I can't take people seriously when they try and champion for Chris Todd. He was garbage for the most part in sec play and goosed up his stats against the non conference. That night Todd was a robust 10 of 24 for 80 yards and a interception....

Your description fits the Gus tenure perfectly.  Pad the record with cupcakes so 7-5 & 8-4 looks decent.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Your description fits the Gus tenure perfectly.  Pad the record with cupcakes so 7-5 & 8-4 looks decent.

And think of the near catastrophic losses against some of the cupcakes.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TexasTiger said:

And think of the near catastrophic losses against some of the cupcakes.

I'm trying not to. 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...