Worst Auburn performance you ever witnessed

AUght2win

29 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

- 2003 USC

- 2003 at GA Tech

It was the Vandy game before we scored a touchdown that year. I'll never forget Rod with his first ever "Touchdown Auburn!" call and following it with, "We finally got one for ya, Jim." Also the day that Brandon Jacobs put a kid on a stretcher as the wedge breaker on the kickoff team. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It was the Vandy game before we scored a touchdown that year. I'll never forget Rod with his first ever "Touchdown Auburn!" call and following it with, "We finally got one for ya, Jim." Also the day that Brandon Jacobs put a kid on a stretcher as the wedge breaker on the kickoff team. 

I was at that Vandy game too.  Though Jacobs killed a guy on that wedge breaker.

On 2/24/2021 at 8:45 PM, BigBlueWDE said:

Baton Rouge 2003. Game delayed by lightning. We decided we couldn't field a punt. Our tickets backed up against LSU fans and they poured drinks in our seats the entire game. 

We've covered the 20th and 21st Century games; do you think Golf might remember a 19th Century game he could share with us?

1985: Preseason #1 Auburn embarrassed by unranked UT Vols.

Most embarrassing loss I can remember.

3 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

1985: Preseason #1 Auburn embarrassed by unranked UT Vols.

Most embarrassing loss I can remember.

That one was pretty embarrassing because they got manhandled.  I still say the 1986 team losing to unranked Florida and unranked Georgia was as bad or worse.  Those were their only losses and both of those teams were very mediocre.

1 hour ago, WarEagle1982 said:

That one was pretty embarrassing because they got manhandled.  I still say the 1986 team losing to unranked Florida and unranked Georgia was as bad or worse.  Those were their only losses and both of those teams were very mediocre.

I honestly don't remember those games, but I take you word for it.  I just remember I was 19 years old and had never been so fired up in my life than I was before that game and man did my bubble get busted during the game.

1986 Auburn Florida game in Gainesville. We were running out the clock for the win when we fumbled. They drove it down the field and Kerwin Bell limped into the end zone for the win. Our seats were under the student section and they were pouring drinks on us. My one and only trip to the swamp!

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I was at that Vandy game too.  Though Jacobs killed a guy on that wedge breaker.

They banned wedges not long after that.

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Too many to mention but one that stands out because of weather was Penn St. Outback bowl. Like to killed my ass

My Dad and Uncle claim a couple miserable weather games. They saw a snow game in Fayetteville (maybe first time Auburn ever played up there?) And also apparently sat through pouring rain and an active tornado warning at Legion Field one year for an Iron Bowl.

10 hours ago, wde21 said:

1986 Auburn Florida game in Gainesville. We were running out the clock for the win when we fumbled. They drove it down the field and Kerwin Bell limped into the end zone for the win. Our seats were under the student section and they were pouring drinks on us. My one and only trip to the swamp!

If Florida had not won that game they would have finished 5-6.  Instead they were 6-5.  The UGA team they lost to at home (Between the Hoses game) was also not very good and was playing with a backup QB.  Then our guys turn around and beat a good Bama team that was ranked as high as #2 during the season.  Very inconsistent year.

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

My Dad and Uncle claim a couple miserable weather games. They saw a snow game in Fayetteville (maybe first time Auburn ever played up there?) And also apparently sat through pouring rain and an active tornado warning at Legion Field one year for an Iron Bowl.

Wasn't at the game in Fayetteville but I was at the rain and tornado warning game at Legion Field. Also was at the 7-3 lost to bame when it rained the entire game that was known as Sablers run in the mud game. Look at all that water on the field. 

On 3/4/2021 at 7:41 AM, bigbird said:

It doesn't matter who the opponents were. Both should've been wins, if we didn't Gus things up. If anything, playing Clemson that close with that bad of offense and coaching is even more infuriating.

So, we "should have beaten" the eventual national champion. Why? Because we were clearly better than they were? That doesn't pass the reality test.

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Too many to mention but one that stands out because of weather was Penn St. Outback bowl. Like to killed my ass

i fell out of love with bowden that day myself golf. we looked like the freakin keystone cops. and of course i had to have talked sh*t the week before the game. the crow i ate after that was not very tasty.

my other was running out of booze when auburn destroyed tennessee at home one year. mom used to sneak in miniatures in her purse. this would have been the early to mid nineties.

vs LSU 1970.  I was 12.  LSU 19-7.  It rained the entire game.  We had a chance to tie it with less than 5 minutes down on the LSU goal line.  On first down; it started raining so hard you could not see what was happening on the field.   This was back in the day when everyone dressed up for the games...we wore suits to the games.  I never wore that suit again.  When it finally dried out it would have fit my GI Joe.  

LSU held us on 4 downs...we turned it over on the 1.  After they scored; they made a bad snap on a PAT and scored 2 points on the miscue.  The rain made Sullivan look like; well, like so many below avg Auburn QB's of the last 50 years.  

41 minutes ago, japantiger said:

vs LSU 1970.  I was 12.  LSU 19-7.  It rained the entire game.  We had a chance to tie it with less than 5 minutes down on the LSU goal line.  On first down; it started raining so hard you could not see what was happening on the field.   This was back in the day when everyone dressed up for the games...we wore suits to the games.  I never wore that suit again.  When it finally dried out it would have fit my GI Joe.  

LSU held us on 4 downs...we turned it over on the 1.  After they scored; they made a bad snap on a PAT and scored 2 points on the miscue.  The rain made Sullivan look like; well, like so many below avg Auburn QB's of the last 50 years.  

My least favorite play of that game was when Beasley dove for a pass, didn't reach it, slid 15 yards on the wet grass, slid into the feet of a DB and got called for a late hit.

Rainwater was running down the stadium steps like they were waterfalls. Truly a Saturday to Forget.

Without reading through other responses first, I'm putting two:

During time at AU: 1990 at Florida...went in 6-0-1, and #s 1 and 2 (Virginia, Nebraska) lost earlier that day. Door was wide open for us to move into the top spot, and we passed out like a drunk after downing a bottle of Everclear.

They killed us 48-7. That game was the beginning of the end of our dominance under CPD, and an announcement that there was a new sheriff in town (this was Spurrier's first year as UF coach).

Alumni years: 2012 vs. TAMU...63-21 and it could have been a lot worse. Chilly, raw night near the top of Jordan-Hare was no fun at all. Never imagined I'd see AU give up 60+ at home, and pretty much cemented in my mind that Chizik was done, because we rolled over.

Archived