Best Auburn performance you ever witnessed

AUght2win

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

To offset the bad memories. 2004 in Knoxville. Auburn gets up 31-3 on a top 10 SEC team, in front of 100k plus fans. 

I loved every minute of the 2004 season!!!  After the LSU game they found their identity, developed a confidence, had a special bond.  Still my favorite AU team ever!!!   

From an offensive perspective, the 2013 Mizzou game and 2014 bama game were unbelievable!

4 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I loved every minute of the 2004 season!!!  After the LSU game they found their identity, developed a confidence, had a special bond.  Still my favorite AU team ever!!!   

From an offensive perspective, the 2013 Mizzou game and 2014 bama game were unbelievable!

The 2004 team is probably one of the best teams I've seen. They were national champs. Whether a bunch of fat sportswriters deemed them such is irrelevant. I hope we claim it someday.

4 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Tie between whatever year Junior Rosegeeen knocked the Georgia guy out, 1989 AU vs UAT, and 2010 AU vs LSU. But every game in 2004 and 2010 (home anyway) was special. 

2010 was always so nerve-wracking. You just knew we were going to win, but that team repeatedly got down big and had to come back. 17-0 to Clemson, 21-7 to UGA, 24-0 to Bama. Then the unnecessarily close calls at Kentucky and Miss State. Even the natty felt like it shouldn't have been close but it was. 

2010 was obviously a blast but 2004 was watching a team that was just simply better in all phases than their competition.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

2010 was always so nerve-wracking. You just knew we were going to win, but that team repeatedly got down big and had to come back. 17-0 to Clemson, 21-7 to UGA, 24-0 to Bama. Then the unnecessarily close calls at Kentucky and Miss State. Even the natty felt like it shouldn't have been close but it was. 

2010 was obviously a blast but 2004 was watching a team that was just simply better in all phases than their competition.

Well, I actually changed my mind. I remember being furious when Oklahoma beat OSU (on the big screen in Atlanta watching the SEC championship) knowing USC could beat everyone but us. OU stood no chance. We did. 

5 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Well, I actually changed my mind. I remember being furious when Oklahoma beat OSU (on the big screen in Atlanta watching the SEC championship) knowing USC could beat everyone but us. OU stood no chance. We did. 

Then Oklahoma's Heisman winner Jason White proceeded to throw approximately 472 picks in the natty. Auburn in 2004 wasnt going to lose after that LSU game. Something flipped a switch and we became a steamroller. There was a controlled meanness with that team and it showed every snap. I still say, to this day, 2004 Auburn is the best to ever wear the orange and blue by 10-14 points.

1989 Iron Bowl. I was fortunate in that I lived in Auburn from 1987-1990 and saw a lot of wins during that time but nothing compares to this game for me. Auburn was not going to be denied that day. 

2013 SEC Champsionship, 400 + yards rushing, 600 + total yards and 59 points. An offensive explosion and a championship, defense was not stellar but who cares.

56 minutes ago, AUFightingSoldiers said:

Then Oklahoma's Heisman winner Jason White proceeded to through approximately 472 picks in the natty. Auburn in 2004 wasnt going to lose after that LSU game. Something flipped a switch and we became a steamroller. There was a controlled meanness with that team and it showed every snap. I still say, to this day, 2004 Auburn is the best to ever wear the orange and blue by 10-14 points.

That team and the earthquake team (LSU)  was the most solid I ever saw. But 2010 was fun, too. 

I'm not sure if this qualifies as the best auburn performance, as far as on the field, but the 2009 "Rain Game" was very special. Watching the student section sit in the rain and not miss a beat while most ran for cover. 

‘14 LSU stands out as a strong game. So many strong rushing games in 13 and 14. But ‘04 is when offense and defense had good all around games. 

First Iron Bowl at Jordan Hare Stadium. I was so excited I told my girlfriend I loved her for the first time. She’s now my wife of 25 years. 😝 

You younger guys better be careful about overzealousness ( not a word?) after a big win.

Kick 6 with the wife, oldest son, and daughter. Section 16, Row 42, the field goal came directly towards us and we had a view down the sideline. It was euphoria. 

Edit: since that is pretty hard to beat, I'll give 2004 UGA as #2 (paper shakers and a thumping of UGA) over the LSU game that same year (we didn't know how good we were at that time; Courtney Taylor is a legend). 

Best performance is a tough criterion because you have to consider all phases of the game and the strength of the opponent. Hard to beat the second half of the 2010 Iron Bowl and the dominance of South Carolina in the SEC Championship that same year. Best performance of a mediocre team had to be the 2018 Music City Bowl annihilation of Purdue. Using different criteria, answers would be different. Kick 6 and Miracle at Jordan Hare are hard to beat for exciting finishes, but not necessarily the best performances overall. 

It's hard to not pick 1989 Iron Bowl!  So that has to be the best, most important game in AU history.  UAT was undefeated, etc etc etc.  If we lose that game we never hear the end of how "Bama beat us in our own stadium so why move it out of Birmingham".  Slack to Wright down the sideline and Lectron Williams scoring one of the few TD's in his short AU career.  It was 1999 before UAT beat us in Jordan-Hare!

6 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

It's hard to not pick 1989 Iron Bowl!  So that has to be the best, most important game in AU history.  UAT was undefeated, etc etc etc.  If we lose that game we never hear the end of how "Bama beat us in our own stadium so why move it out of Birmingham".  Slack to Wright down the sideline and Lectron Williams scoring one of the few TD's in his short AU career.  It was 1999 before UAT beat us in Jordan-Hare!

Very true. But one could also argue if we don't complete the Camback in 2010, it would have been a program devastator. Imagine if we had gone on to get routed that day...

12 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

Best performance is a tough criterion because you have to consider all phases of the game and the strength of the opponent. Hard to beat the second half of the 2010 Iron Bowl and the dominance of South Carolina in the SEC Championship that same year. Best performance of a mediocre team had to be the 2018 Music City Bowl annihilation of Purdue. Using different criteria, answers would be different. Kick 6 and Miracle at Jordan Hare are hard to beat for exciting finishes, but not necessarily the best performances overall. 

I think the criteria of "best performance" is simply being the game you were most pleased with the performers' work. So it can be anything you choose.

4 hours ago, grandpajay said:

2013 SEC Champsionship, 400 + yards rushing, 600 + total yards and 59 points. An offensive explosion and a championship, defense was not stellar but who cares.

Tre Mason went for 300+ too. Crazy stats.

Archived