Jump to content
Null

2021 NR PWO OL Thomas Kirkham Commits to AU!


Recommended Posts

  • McLoofus changed the title to 2021 NR PWO OL Thomas Kirkham Commits to AU!




The fact that we are actually freaking recruiting from the gump makes me happy. There are a lot of hidden gems down there that our old coaching regiment chose to not even look at. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, AU_Twisterman said:

Quick look at his film (most of the time at LT and DT) shows pretty good pad level.  Not elite feet and quickness of course, but overall not bad at all for a PWO.  Also, his senior highlights show his weight at 310 lbs.  Good pickup.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/9502300/5fc416723deab706c0c16c96

Interesting. His 247 profile is slightly different. But if we're stockpiling PWOs for depth, then I like the potential for versatility along the OL, Austin Golson style. (But I do mean among the depth guys. I'd like our starters to be more specialized. Didn't love the Herb Hand master of none trend.)

https://247sports.com/player/thomas-kirkham-46101068/

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we are getting back to old school finding walk-ons that may contribute.  Dye was really good a this but here is a quick list of some that made a difference at Auburn.

Bill Newton (Punt BAMA Punt), Kevin Greene, Jeremy Ingle, Alex Lincoln, Will Hastings, Jason Miska, Danny Skutak. Thom Gossam

There are others but it costs you nothing at worse they help in practice and set an example by their effort at best they block two punts to help beat bama or become an NFL legend. 

Welcome aboard and War Eagle.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Maybe we are getting back to old school finding walk-ons that may contribute.  Dye was really good a this but here is a quick list of some that made a difference at Auburn.

Bill Newton (Punt BAMA Punt), Kevin Greene, Jeremy Ingle, Alex Lincoln, Will Hastings, Jason Miska, Danny Skutak. Thom Gossam

There are others but it costs you nothing at worse they help in practice and set an example by their effort at best they block two punts to help beat bama or become an NFL legend. 

Welcome aboard and War Eagle.

Hopefully it also means we just have better intel and awareness about the talent that's available. As @DAG said, we've got kids right there in the Gump, and they're willing to come play "for free" at a position of need? This can't be the first guy. Or maybe it is, I dunno. Seems unlikely though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Shug was very good as well at finding walk ons Fig Newton and Thom have already mention.

Walkon Bobby Strickland was probably our top linebacker of his time.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Walkon Bobby Strickland was probably our top linebacker of his time.

Bobby Bouchette was the meanest SOB I ever seen play the LB position, and I believe he was a walk on.  I would have loved to seen him suit up on the plains. GOAT.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Maybe we are getting back to old school finding walk-ons that may contribute.  Dye was really good a this but here is a quick list of some that made a difference at Auburn.

Bill Newton (Punt BAMA Punt), Kevin Greene, Jeremy Ingle, Alex Lincoln, Will Hastings, Jason Miska, Danny Skutak. Thom Gossam

There are others but it costs you nothing at worse they help in practice and set an example by their effort at best they block two punts to help beat bama or become an NFL legend. 

Welcome aboard and War Eagle.

Jason ******* Miska. Beast

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think OL is a spot where walk-ons make a lot of sense. It's simply the hardest position to evaluate talent.  Generally, high schools put their most athletic guys on the defensive line.  It's hard to tell how a 280 pound high school senior is going to develop, and so much of the development is because of desire and heart.   There aren't enough 4 & 5 star offensive linemen to go around.  If you get 2 4 stars, you can't afford to quit. You still need to get 2 or 3 more that are the best guys you can get.  If Gus would have done that every year, he would have avoided a hell of a lot of problems.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The better the walk on, the better the scout teams. The better the scout teams the better looks and competition. The better the looks and competition, the more prepared the team is.  

A strong PWO/WO is imperative for future team success. I love that CBH is putting the necessary time and focus onto all aspects of building the program

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 12:44 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Bill Newton (Punt BAMA Punt), Kevin Greene, Jeremy Ingle, Alex Lincoln, Will Hastings, Jason Miska, Danny Skutak. Thom Gossam

Man, how did I not know that Gossam was a walk-on? Man, the Gossam-out-of-bounds incident in ‘74 scarred me and let me know, even as a young kid, what AU was up against in Bammer and the SEC

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The better the walk on, the better the scout teams. The better the scout teams the better looks and competition. The better the looks and competition, the more prepared the team is.  

A strong PWO/WO is imperative for future team success. I love that CBH is putting the necessary time and focus onto all aspects of building the program

Nebraska set the standard for the importance of the walk-on program back in the day

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And steroid use...😂

It was GMC- genetically modified corn 🌽 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fredst said:

Man, how did I not know that Gossam was a walk-on? Man, the Gossam-out-of-bounds incident in ‘74 scarred me and let me know, even as a young kid, what AU was up against in Bammer and the SEC

Hey numnuts this should have given you a hint

Hardcover Walk-On Book

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fredst said:

Nebraska set the standard for the importance of the walk-on program back in the day

This is true saw it first hand when I worked in Omaha..............cornfed boys from plains of Nebraska

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 6:12 PM, augolf1716 said:

Shug was very good as well at finding walk ons Fig Newton and Thom have already mention.

 

1 hour ago, tigerman1186 said:

I think 'Fig' Newton was his brother Bob????

Too many PBRs probably. Sad to see the mental decline of our older members.....

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...