Unique Thompson: Among Auburn's finest

Mikey

Las night was Senior Day for Unique Thompson. The team played their best ball of the season in only losing to Arky by 74-69. In Thompson's final home game she had 22 points and 18 rebounds. It's shame she wasn't here at a different time.

I've watched AU women's basketball since before Coach Champi came. I recall the days when the ten players on the court consisted of AU's future handball Olympian Reita Clanton and nine "girl next door" types. I saw Champi bring in the remarkable Becky Jackson (whose career rebound record Unique just passed nearly 40 years later). I've seen Vicki Orr, Lo Freeman, Dewanna Bonner and any number of great AU front-line players and Unique fits right in there with the best of them.

Here's hoping she has a successful pro career and makes  bundle. She stuck with AU and cared about AU through the entire four years and that couldn't have been easy. She had options but stuck with the Tigers. War Eagle, Young Lady!

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Las night was Senior Day for Unique Thompson. The team played their best ball of the season in only losing to Arky by 74-69. In Thompson's final home game she had 22 points and 18 rebounds. It's shame she wasn't here at a different time.

I've watched AU women's basketball since before Coach Champi came. I recall the days when the ten players on the court consisted of AU's future handball Olympian Reita Clanton and nine "girl next door" types. I saw Champi bring in the remarkable Becky Jackson (whose career rebound record Unique just passed nearly 40 years later). I've seen Vicki Orr, Lo Freeman, Dewanna Bonner and any number of great AU front-line players and Unique fits right in there with the best of them.

Here's hoping she has a successful pro career and makes  bundle. She stuck with AU and cared about AU through the entire four years and that couldn't have been easy. She had options but stuck with the Tigers. War Eagle, Young Lady!

I agree.  Unfortunately, Unique is the only elite player in that list that was never put in a position to win any kind of championship.  That failure is on the shoulders of the current staff and their incompetence.  I watched the game last night.  When they brought out that stupid cheese ball chain, all I could do is laugh.  The program has literally never been as pathetic as it is right now.  We are irrelevant in the sport of women's college basketball.

I hope the WNBA checks her back, because it has to be sore for carrying this team....even though they didn't win a SEC game, only because of her we had any chance of winning a game....too bad Vandy decided to shut it down, that might have a been a game for us to win this season....best to her in the WNBA and what ever she does with her life....thanks for staying for 4 years....

She is truly Unique both as a player but even more so as a person. Most players with her talent and work ethic would have taken the easy route and transferred instead she toiled under a coach that was not able to take advantage of her skills and put a team around her that could compete. Last year there were some very talented players on the team that the coaching style held back from being productive who transferred to other programs and are productive.  Then on top of that the coach blamed the players she recruited for the teams failures. 

Despite this she showed remarkable loyalty to Auburn University.  To me this makes her one of the greatest student athletes that has ever played at Auburn.  War Eagle and may you have nothing but success in your future endeavors. 

Archived