Mason's style as a defensive coordinator

aubiefifty

StatTiger Column: Derek Mason's style as a defensive coordinator

ByStuart Carter Feb 28, 10:05 AM
  •  
  •  
  •  

Editor’s Note: This is part two of a three-part series on the Auburn football team’s defense.

As the football program moves forward under Coach Bryan Harsin’s leadership the defense will be under Coach Derek Mason’s direction. Mason is tasked to replace a Kevin Steelee defense that was the most stable portion of the Auburn football team during the past five seasons.

Mason established himself as one of the top defensive coordinators in the country during his stint at Stanford from 2011-2013. He brings to Auburn an aggressive system that operates from a 3-4 concept, but is multiple in concept. Mason deploys a two-gap scheme designed for his personnel to read and react, rather than committing to a specific gap.

His defenses have primarily operated from a 3-4 front, but would align in a 4-3 set depending on the situation. Over time the 3-4 and 4-3 have morphed into a 3-3-5 and 4-2-5, which we have seen under Mason. The strategy is for the ends to set the edge and for the defensive linemen to hold their point of attack as they react to the football movement. Against the run, the edge defenders are supposed to funnel the opposing running backs inside, which means Auburn’s inside linebackers will need to be extremely active.

By design the linebackers will position farther back, six to seven yards off the line of scrimmage than the typical four to five yards. The extra distance provides an additional second or two for the linebackers to recognize the point of attack, allowing them more time to react. It might result in a higher average per rush for the opponent, but it is designed to limit the explosive plays.

To counter the hurry-up offenses built for speed, Mason will sometimes deploy a two-man defensive front with four standing linebackers at or near the scrimmage line. Three to four of the six defenders will rush the quarterback, but Mason mixes up the personnel rushing the quarterback to confuse the opposing offensive line.

Under Mason, Auburn will likely try to maintain the same 11 players the majority of the game to limit substitution. The starting 11 will take 45-50 reps and the reserves will take up two to three series per game. Three easy games in the first four games of the 2021 season should allow the Tigers to establish quality depth. There will be a star position consisting of a hybrid linebacker-defensive back, which will be active against both the run and pass.

Installation and the learning curb will be Mason’s primary challenge as he brings his defense to the players. Though he will have more talent to work with than he did at Vanderbilt, there will be an expected level of mental mistakes as his personnel learns and adjusts to a new system. Fortunately for Auburn, the Tigers start the season with four non-conference games, allowing them to build continuity, experience and confidence in their new schemes.

When hired at Vanderbilt as the head coach, Mason took control of the defense after his inaugural season in 2014. The Commodores showed an immediate improvement during 2015 with Mason calling the defense. The 2015 group was 33rd against the run, 28th in pass-efficiency and 28th in total defense. The Commodores were 22nd in scoring, 6th on third downs and 4th in red zone touchdown percentage. His three defenses at Stanford compiled an averaging national ranking of 20th against the run, 52nd in pass-efficiency and 31st in total defense. The Cardinal ranked 22nd in scoring defense, 22nd on third down and 22nd in red zone touchdown percentage.

7890260.JPG?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

Derek Mason will be running Auburn's defense. (Photo: Danny Parker, 247Sports)

Mason has built his defenses around the secondary, and Auburn possesses the talent to field a strong defensive backfield in 2021. The front appears to be the most questionable area going into spring practice. The Tigers return only two defensive linemen with at least 20 games of experience in Tyrone Truesdell (43) and Derick Hall (22). Despite the lack of experience, Mason will have plenty of options up front with nine players rated as 4-star talent.

Like his boss, Mason appears to have the same inner drive as Harsin. They both will demand the most of their players to achieve perfection. He is expected to push his players to their physical limits to build the ability to dig deep when they feel exhausted late in a game. Maintaining the ability to be mentally sharp is essential in the Mason defense. Proper recognition and reaction will be the primary obstacle Auburn’s personnel must master or suffer the consequences of their mistakes on the field. The time spent reading the opposition can slow a defense, especially if the players lack experience. Mason will evaluate his talent with the additional goal of putting players with great instinct on the field.

note......this says the second part on defense but i have yet to find part one anywhere. still this is pretty informative like the lb's backing up another two yards to give them more time to react to a play.

Part III: What Players will Excel under Derek Mason?

20 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

What's a "learning curb"?   🤨

that one slipped by me. i guess it is for the hard heads..........lol

16 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

For me it’s more like a high wall rather than a curb.

it was supposed to be learning curve hank. i missed it when i first read it. thus a concrete curb for hard heads to make light of it. but you would be right. and i imagine those kids are smarter than auburn kids at least when it comes to book learning.

On 3/2/2021 at 11:54 AM, 1auburn1 said:

What's a "learning curb"?   🤨

It is what we are goin'  to use to 'curb stomp'  LSU and Thuga this year.

There is no denying that CDM has had successful defenses. I never watched Vandy play, so I have not seen his defenses in action.

But the article raises some questions for me.

1. Steele's defense was primarily focused on being stout up front to stop the run, leaving the DBs 1 on 1 pretty often. With CDM's defensive alignment, with LBs further back from the LOS, this seems like an invitation for teams with a good OL and strong running game to just grind out drives on the ground. What am I missing here?

2. It may be that, at Vandy, he did not have the depth to substitute a lot on defense, but he should have more depth at Auburn. Can we really assume that he will substitute so little at Auburn?

1 hour ago, AURex said:

There is no denying that CDM has had successful defenses. I never watched Vandy play, so I have not seen his defenses in action.

1. Steele's defense was primarily focused on being stout up front to stop the run, leaving the DBs 1 on 1 pretty often. With CDM's defensive alignment, with LBs further back from the LOS, this seems like an invitation for teams with a good OL and strong running game to just grind out drives on the ground. What am I missing here?

2. It may be that, at Vandy, he did not have the depth to substitute a lot on defense, but he should have more depth at Auburn. Can we really assume that he will substitute so little at Auburn?

I was concerned when I read about the lack of rotation also.

8 hours ago, AURex said:

Your #1. His defense is a little bend not break style. Stop people in the red zone and not give up big plays. Make the offense grind it out. I think we may be willing to give up some short yardage but keep them out of the end zone.

11 hours ago, toddc said:

Your #1. His defense is a little bend not break style. Stop people in the red zone and not give up big plays. Make the offense grind it out. I think we may be willing to give up some short yardage but keep them out of the end zone.

I typically only support this approach when you don’t have the capability to get off the field ( stop 1st downs). Making 1st downs typically keep teams “in the game”

I'm just really interested in seeing how we play defense. From what i keep reading it seems that Mason was a pure 3-4 guy at Stanford but that changed over the years at Vandy. No one really knows if that change was because of personel reasons or if his philosophy changed due to how offenses have evolved over time. The biggest problem Vandy has competing with SEC teams is they do not have the depth. Big drop off from starters to backups. We may not be bama with a 4 deep of 5 stars but i hope we do not have the same drop off problems vandy has with backups. So i have to imagine that he will be more open to rotating guys than he was at Vandy and probably even Stanford. Atleast i hope so because that was my favorite things about Steele and especially Garner. They rotated guys like crazy so when someone graduated we always had someone with experience waiting to come in. 

Will our secondary play more press man or will we use zones more? Lots of questions and i just don't think anyone knows yet what this will look like. Makes it exciting and a little nerve racking for fans heading into the season. 

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'm just really interested in seeing how we play defense. From what i keep reading it seems that Mason was a pure 3-4 guy at Stanford but that changed over the years at Vandy. No one really knows if that change was because of personel reasons or if his philosophy changed due to how offenses have evolved over time. The biggest problem Vandy has competing with SEC teams is they do not have the depth. Big drop off from starters to backups. We may not be bama with a 4 deep of 5 stars but i hope we do not have the same drop off problems vandy has with backups. So i have to imagine that he will be more open to rotating guys than he was at Vandy and probably even Stanford. Atleast i hope so because that was my favorite things about Steele and especially Garner. They rotated guys like crazy so when someone graduated we always had someone with experience waiting to come in. 

Will our secondary play more press man or will we use zones more? Lots of questions and i just don't think anyone knows yet what this will look like. Makes it exciting and a little nerve racking for fans heading into the season. 

Exciting is great!!! I had gotten used to “apprehensive “.

26 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I typically only support this approach when you don’t have the capability to get off the field ( stop 1st downs). Making 1st downs typically keep teams “in the game”

On 3/2/2021 at 10:16 AM, aubiefifty said:

28th in total defense. The Commodores were 22nd in scoring, 6th on third downs and 4th in red zone touchdown percentage

6th on third downs and 4th in red zone td%!!! This is what he wants to do at Auburn but higher rankings.

3 minutes ago, toddc said:

i am confused. you think we will be better or worse?

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i am confused. you think we will be better or worse?

Higher in the rankings is definitely better! Don’t get your question???

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

Higher in the rankings is definitely better! Don’t get your question???

ok higher in the ranking works. i just did not understand what you were saying.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

ok higher in the ranking works. i just did not understand what you were saying.

FIFY and added rankings. Better?

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

FIFY and added rankings. Better?

i am a tad slow so it is me and not you. thanx for explaining.

I wonder how much the philosophy will change with Harsin's offense....

I am thinking more possessions will be needed to get 28-35 pts/game than with a more open offense ( I am not saying Auburn was more open as of late ).   Also, if we give the opponent long drives, who is getting a lot of rest?   The opponents D, which is usually a bad thing.  Especially in the SEC.

Will the coordinators ever attend a press conference?  I guess not...when is Harsin's next presser?

Thanks Stuart. Great stuff per your usual. 

"I don't like this bend but don't break stuff. I want the defense to get stops and give me the ball back"~~~Steve Spurrier

Also: With our questionable depth at linebacker, we better hope we don't have a rash of injuries at the position. Last year, after Britt's injury Pappoe and Ricochet Rabbit played more snaps than anybody would have liked. One might say there are some names behind those two but those guys are entirely unproven except for Riley, who did play some significant snaps. While we are scanning the transfer portal for prospects, we better be looking for a solid middle LB if we're going to a base 3-4 set.

• WarTiger changed the title to Mason's style as a defensive coordinator

Archived