Harsin evaluation criteria for recruits?

AUinfusion

This is honestly a post just for discussion (not a lot going on right now). As an outsider looking in I see that Harsin has a plan that he is clearly and meticulously executing on, but I don't yet see what the recruiting philosophy part of that plan is. I know we've had some debate around various recruits on this board, so that tells me I'm not alone. I'm guessing he is looking at some combination of skill, character, system fit and work ethic, but that all sounds pretty generic. I'm really just looking for thoughts beyond "pick the five star!" vs "trust the coach!".

Some of the things that make me think about what his strategy may be:

Everyone was talking about casting a wide net, but right now it looks like we're favoring recruits in our backyard. Is this a case where we take a player with lower potential to "lock down our house" and create a brand?

I was pretty sure we have the recruiting prowess to be looking at a lot of high four-star players, but I see more chatter around (current) three-star players. Are we trying to find the "about to take off players" to help hedge one-on-one competition against some of our currently ascendent rivals? Does Harsin feel he can out-evaluate and use the as a tool to win recruiting battles early?

Balancing that, we are purposely choosing not to pursue a few four stars who I, in my own limited knowledge, might think are good players (Cody Brown comes to mind, who might be missing a top gear but I'll take a juggernaut that can wear a defense down and pickup hard yards). What are the "not a fit" triggers? 

I AM NOT trying to start any arguments, I'm just wondering if anyone has put the puzzle together an Harsin's strategy. He is making active decisions, so he has a strategy. It would be more fun (this is supposed to be fun) if I had a better grasp on that strategy so I could understand the board better.

• ellitor changed the title to Harsin evaluation criteria for recruits?

We are offering recruits all over the country, not just local kids. I guess I’m not following what you want. Seems like you stated what you’re asking for pretty well.

@AUinfusion Unfortunately I think you are going to have to settle for the generic in terms of the thesis you are looking for. Most of us fans aren't equipped to be able to give the details you are looking for. Likely only people on our staff as well as high school coaches with recruits we are recruiting are likely the only ones that can give you the kind of detail you are looking for. I'm not even sure Keith or JLee could get more than generic answers to those type questions even if they tried.

24 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

Everyone was talking about casting a wide net, but right now it looks like we're favoring recruits in our backyard. Is this a case where we take a player with lower potential to "lock down our house" and create a brand?

We are doing both casting a wider net & paying more attention to our back yard. I don't see us or any team taking a player with lower potential to "lock down our house" to create a brand. That's a recipe for recruiting & talent acquisition disaster. You always try to get the kids with the highest potential that fit the culture whenever & wherever possible. Where a team could look to take targets closer to home is when where they are on the staff's board is marginal to other targets.

32 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

I was pretty sure we have the recruiting prowess to be looking at a lot of high four-star players, but I see more chatter around (current) three-star players. Are we trying to find the "about to take off players" to help hedge one-on-one competition against some of our currently ascendent rivals?

Like every staff should be doing we are doing our own evaluations & not caring about recruiting site ranking, especially in a cycle where rankings may be so far off due to obstacles created by the pandemic. Also a good number of already more sought after recruits will have better & longer relationships to staffs that have been in place or recruited the area longer. We are at a disadvantage there this cycle for a number of prospects & that will affect our board some.

37 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

Does Harsin feel he can out-evaluate and use the as a tool to win recruiting battles early?

Pretty sure most coaches feel this way on some level or at least should.

39 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

Balancing that, we are purposely choosing not to pursue a few four stars who I, in my own limited knowledge, might think are good players (Cody Brown comes to mind, who might be missing a top gear but I'll take a juggernaut that can wear a defense down and pickup hard yards).

Most teams saw Cody Brown as a FB & not a tail back. Classic case of recruiting site rankings & evals don't necessarily translate to college staff rankings & evals.

41 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

What are the "not a fit" triggers?

That's a question only usually the HC knows the answer to & that answer rarely reaches the public.

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AUinfusion Unfortunately I think you are going to have to settle for the generic in terms of the thesis you are looking for.

Yeah, I tried to imply that I knew no one (outside of AU's staff) *really* knows any of this, but maybe that message didn't come through. I was just interested in thoughts around the subject. We've had a few vigorous conversations about recruits and recruiting over the last month or two and as someone who has been lurking/occasionally posting on AU recruiting boards since the late 90's, I thought it would be more fun to try and build a better lens than five-star vs hidden-gem. I can't create an lens that is *actually* more informed (I'm not being informed), but I can have fun trying to figure it out. I'm certain Harsin has a plan because I see what appears to be very explicit decision making.

Thanks for the detailed response!

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@AUinfusion Unfortunately I think you are going to have to settle for the generic in terms of the thesis you are looking for. Most of us fans aren't equipped to be able to give the details you are looking for. Likely only people on our staff as well as high school coaches with recruits we are recruiting are likely the only ones that can give you the kind of detail you are looking for. I'm not even sure Keith or JLee could get more than generic answers to those type questions even if they tried.

We are doing both casting a wider net & paying more attention to our back yard. I don't see us or any team taking a player with lower potential to "lock down our house" to create a brand. That's a recipe for recruiting & talent acquisition disaster. You always try to get the kids with the highest potential that fit the culture whenever & wherever possible. Where a team could look to take targets closer to home is when where they are on the staff's board is marginal to other targets.

Like every staff should be doing we are doing our own evaluations & not caring about recruiting site ranking, especially in a cycle where rankings may be so far off due to obstacles created by the pandemic. Also a good number of already more sought after recruits will have better & longer relationships to staffs that have been in place or recruited the area longer. We are at a disadvantage there this cycle for a number of prospects & that will affect our board some.

Pretty sure most coaches feel this way on some level or at least should.

Most teams saw Cody Brown as a FB & not a tail back. Classic case of recruiting site rankings & evals don't necessarily translate to college staff rankings & evals.

That's a question only usually the HC knows the answer to & that answer rarely reaches the public.

Nor should it reach the public IMO. These things appear so situational which is why it should be handled within the staff.

It’s hard to answer this right now in his first year without playing any games yet. I don’t think Harsin even fully knows yet. 

I genuinely feel that Harsin and Staff are working in a dilligent manner to make best of the “short” window they have to work with for 2021. And when all is said and done they may very well have pulled a few rabbits out the hat. Maybe 2022 will start to pickup when visits become possible.

I love the fact that coach Harsin and his staff are going everywhere to recruit the blue chip players. It's so very refreshing.

Archived