who, on a staff, can actually recruit?

TigerPAC

is it just on-field coaches?  anyone delegated to that particular sport, either coach or support role?  i am just curious.  when i say "recruit", i mean talk/text/chat with HS players during course of the year.  can so-called analysts do any recruiting?  of course, this question does not include bagmen.

41 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

is it just on-field coaches?  anyone delegated to that particular sport, either coach or support role?  i am just curious.  when i say "recruit", i mean talk/text/chat with HS players during course of the year.  can so-called analysts do any recruiting?  of course, this question does not include bagmen.

@TigerPACOnly the 10 on field position assistants as well as the HC can do the actual recruiting. The off field recruiting staff deals with things like setting up & doing logistics for events & visits, social media recruiting promotion, & help setting up the big board of targets, & initial film study & evaluation. In short the more the recruiting staff can do & do well the more the on field staff can focus on mainly communicating with recruits. One of the ways we lacked in recruiting under Gus is we had such a small recruiting staff that it forced the assistants to have more unnecessary recruiting work on their plates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@TigerPACOnly the 10 on field position assistants as well as the HC can do the actual recruiting. The off field recruiting staff deals with things like setting up & doing logistics for events & visits, social media recruiting promotion, & help setting up the big board of targets, & initial film study & evaluation. In short the more the recruiting staff can do & do well the more the on field staff can focus on mainly communicating with recruits. One of the ways we lacked in recruiting under Gus is we had such a small recruiting staff that it forced the assistants to have more unnecessary recruiting work on their plates.

I believe someone ( probably on another topic) asked the difference between Malzahn’s recruiting staff and Harsin’s but I don’t believe anyone answered. Maybe you are in the know enough to give us an idea.

36 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I believe someone ( probably on another topic) asked the difference between Malzahn’s recruiting staff and Harsin’s but I don’t believe anyone answered. Maybe you are in the know enough to give us an idea.

@Hank2020I basically just did answer it in the above post. Did you have something more specific you wanted to ask?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Hank2020I basically just did answer it in the above post. Did you have something more specific you wanted to ask?

Thx, It was a great answer. My take on the other request was they were looking for numbers difference, if it was known.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

My take on the other request was they were looking for numbers difference, if it was known

Not sure what you are talking about here.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure what you are talking about here.

I thought they were looking for Malzahn’s number of off field recruiting staff vs. Harsin’s (you mentioned Malzahn’s was smaller).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I thought they were looking for Malzahn’s number of off field recruiting staff vs. Harsin’s (you mentioned Malzahn’s was smaller).

That would be an interesting thing to know. Just how many more positions has Harsin added to the AU recruiting staff?

9 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

@Hank2020I read where Gus only had like 4 or 5 recruiting personnel. For comparison Bama has like 20.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

That would be an interesting thing to know. Just how many more positions has Harsin added to the AU recruiting staff?

Not sure but it's expected to be as big as Bama's when all is said & done.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Hank2020I read where Gus only had like 4 or 5 recruiting personnel. For comparison Bama has like 20.

That's what public sees you can add another 10 or so to it

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

Thanks for the insight.   Then I think you have found the beings that do all the dirty work.....can’t remember where but I read an article/piece where quite a few transfers (other schools) mentioned “analysts” as whom they had lots contact with during the crootin process, NOT coaches.  It will never be level, fair, whatever and certainly not policed.  Just gotta work hard and coach em up.  So far, Harsin seems like he is ready!

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

But I wonder how we compared to other top programs in the SEC like GA, LSU, TaM? Alabama is such an extreme, I really find it hard to compare to them. 

If Gus had only 5 or 6, I wonder how he could really analyze the effectiveness of our offense or even defense, without detailed input and breakdowns.

I guess it was more of Gus' need for a small inner circle of trust and input? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

But I wonder how we compared to other top programs in the SEC like GA, LSU, TaM? Alabama is such an extreme, I really find it hard to compare to them. 

@steeleagle Most SEC teams are in the mid to high teems in number of recruiting personnel. Bama is not that much of an extreme in that catagory.

19 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Ding! Ding! Ding!

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Very true and even then he does not always trust 100% 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, steeleagle said:

If Gus had only 5 or 6, I wonder how he could really analyze the effectiveness of our offense or even defense, without detailed input and breakdowns.

Pretty simple- 1 analyst per offensive play and 2 extras to tell Gus he called a good game

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/3/2021 at 4:55 PM, ellitor said:

E, was the recruiting support staff issue by Gus’s design or was this forced upon him by the PTB and/or budget constraints?

18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Very true and even then he does not always trust 100% 

After what happened this past season, kind of hard to blame him.

1 minute ago, Tiger1992 said:

After what happened this past season, kind of hard to blame him.

He was like this well before last season. That is a lame excuse.  He has been this way since his Arkansas days. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, tomcat said:

E, was the recruiting support staff issue by Gus’s design or was this forced upon him by the PTB and/or budget constraints?

@tomcatGus's design due to his inherit mistrust in people as @augolf1716 alluded to.

57 minutes ago, DAG said:

He was like this well before last season. That is a lame excuse.  He has been this way since his Arkansas days. 

Yes, I'm aware. This past season probably made it worse for him on the trust front though ongoing. Not defending Gus, but HC's have a hard enough time fighting off boosters, admins, and fans, they shouldn't have to keep an eye on their own staff as well.

1 minute ago, Tiger1992 said:

Yes, I'm aware. This past season probably made it worse for him on the trust front though ongoing. Not defending Gus, but HC's have a hard enough time fighting off boosters, admins, and fans, they shouldn't have to keep an eye on their own staff as well.

Then if you are aware you can blame him. If anything , chalk that up to Gus not being man enough to address the issue and dead it. He let the situation get out of control, if the rumors are true. This is getting away from the topic , which is how awesome CBH is strategizing to build something nicely here. 

Just now, DAG said:

Then if you are aware you can blame him. If anything , chalk that up to Gus not being man enough to address the issue and dead it. He let the situation get out of control, if the rumors are true. This is getting away from the topic , which is how awesome CBH is strategizing to build something nicely here. 

You really think any coach should have to worry about their coordinators conspiring against them?

• Like 1