who, on a staff, can actually recruit?

TigerPAC

4 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

You really think any coach should have to worry about their coordinators conspiring against them?

What I am saying is he hired those guys. If you hired guys who conspired against you. Either 1). You hired the wrong guy 2). You set limits. If there is a guy who is conspiring against you, you dead that issue quickly. If you don’t have the support to dead that issue , then you be man enough to say this isn’t a situation I need to be in.  This is my last response to this. My apologies @ellitor. WDE

War damn CBH. 

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1

Back to MY version of the original topic title...WHO on this staff can actually recruit?  Who are the good ones who can reel kids in?

25 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Back to MY version of the original topic title...WHO on this staff can actually recruit?  Who are the good ones who can reel kids in?

@AUDevil Bobo & Friend have proven many times over they can. Zac looks promising too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AUDevil Bobo & Friend have proven many times over they can. Zac looks promising too.

Does Friend have any ties to the Tennessee recruiting violations, or are we in the clear with that?

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Does Friend have any ties to the Tennessee recruiting violations, or are we in the clear with that?

@abw0004 Doesn't appear to. And we wouldn't have anything to not be in the clear about if he had. We weren't involved.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@abw0004 Doesn't appear to. And we wouldn't have anything to not be in the clear about if he had. We weren't involved.

I meant more so that it would be a bad look if we hired him in the midst of a scandal, kind of like how it was a bad look when we hired Ira Bowman who was being investigated for his scandal at Penn State in basketball.

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I meant more so that it would be a bad look if we hired him in the midst of a scandal, kind of like how it was a bad look when we hired Ira Bowman who was being investigated for his scandal at Penn State in basketball.

@abw0004 Bowman's issue didn't hurt us in recruiting & if Friend had an issue it likely wouldn't hurt us unless we had to remove him.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2021 at 12:27 PM, steeleagle said:

But I wonder how we compared to other top programs in the SEC like GA, LSU, TaM? Alabama is such an extreme, I really find it hard to compare to them. 

If Gus had only 5 or 6, I wonder how he could really analyze the effectiveness of our offense or even defense, without detailed input and breakdowns.

I guess it was more of Gus' need for a small inner circle of trust and input? 

It  is really not the size of the staff but the effectiveness of the staff in identifying a player in 3 areas.  The first is identifying the best player similar to how rivals & scout identify players and rank by numbers and stars, the next is identifying undervalued players ie Donatarris Thomas and third is identifying non ranked or even a walk on that will fit certain situations.

11 minutes ago, Carnell said:

It  is really not the size of the staff but the effectiveness of the staff in identifying a player in 3 areas.  The first is identifying the best player similar to how rivals & scout identify players and rank by numbers and stars, the next is identifying undervalued players ie Donatarris Thomas and third is identifying non ranked or even a walk on that will fit certain situations.

Site rankings should not be involved at all in a staff's eval of recruits. Also Scout doesn't exist anymore.

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

Site rankings should not be involved at all in a staff's eval of recruits. Also Scout doesn't exist anymore.

Not saying site rankings are involved.   The evaluation is done by the coaching staff but  they will rate the players by position very similar to the way recruiting sites do.

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

they will rate the players by position very similar to the way recruiting sites do.

Only if the particular team uses the same scheme & standards the site does for a specific position.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Only if the particular team uses the same scheme & standards the site does for a specific position.

E I think you are not understanding what Carnell was trying to say. He was using the site using stars and numbers as a scale. He was saying our coached would have their own scale to compare players with as one part of the criteria.

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

E I think you are not understanding what Carnell was trying to say. He was using the site using stars and numbers as a scale. He was saying our coached would have their own scale to compare players with as one part of the criteria.

& my point is there should be no comparison at all. Staff's shouldn't use for anything more than a directory.

On 3/10/2021 at 8:28 AM, abw0004 said:

When exactly did muhhhhhh dude Ira Bowman our ace boogie recruiter along with Papa Flanny coach at Penn St again?

giphy.gif

On 3/5/2021 at 9:59 AM, Tiger1992 said:

You really think any coach should have to worry about their coordinators conspiring against them?

Considering that Gus was doing it when he became a coordinator at Arky...so he has experience...remember when the HC was taking over the offense from him there because he didn't like some of Gus' plays?  And then Gus was speaking to boosters behind his back?  Sound familiar...

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

When exactly did muhhhhhh dude Ira Bowman our ace boogie recruiter along with Papa Flanny coach at Penn St again?

giphy.gif

Dang it.  I meant University of Pennsylvania.  Good catch.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Dang it.  I meant University of Pennsylvania.  Good catch.

Don't feel bad Gwill makes enough of his own mistakes:cool:

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2021 at 8:14 AM, AUDevil said:

Outside of Friend and Bobo, TBD on a lot of them.  Carnell is OK, but there has been some talk he dropped the ball on some kids last year.  Not sure how much truth there is to that.

Ethridge seemed to do pretty well with the WVU transfer.  But no one else has a true recruiting pedigree.  Doesn't mean they can't, just that they haven't. 

I do wish we had one person on the defensive side of the ball with a strong background.  

54 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Carnell is OK, but there has been some talk he dropped the ball on some kids last year.  Not sure how much truth there is to that.

Probably not much. He was retained for a reason. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And Cadillac will get his chance in the upcoming recruiting year, bc we definitely will need a replacement for Tank, as he enters his more than likely last year in college when he is a JR.

He and others will have to deliver at RB in 2022 for sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And Cadillac will get his chance in the upcoming recruiting year, bc we definitely will need a replacement for Tank, as he enters his more than likely last year in college when he is a JR.

Agreed. And I'll be wanting to see an elite signing in 2023. Tank is a special human being and we can't hope to get that combination of brain and talent every cycle, but in terms of pure physical talent, we absolutely should be getting that caliber of player every cycle. Our rivals can and do. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

We also did miss on a few RB coaches to replace him. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Seems like we have some OK guys at RB. Not sure any elite kids or even really good. 

We'll miss out on a true elite guy Carnell has a relationship with

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Seems like we have some OK guys at RB. Not sure any elite kids or even really good. 

We'll miss out on a true elite guy Carnell has a relationship with

He had Armoni Goodwin locked up until the coaching change so I’m not sure why you say that. I would also say he’s a huge reason we still have Tank.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2