Women's Basketball Coach Candidate Thread

ONE uconn assistant coach, maybe that's semi feasible. Probably not a top level one, not with this state of affairs. Some ex-player or coach, alright. Dawn Staley or a woman that is one of the 2 leading candidates to replace Gregg Poppovich......uhhhh? Geno Auremia (Spelling...I didnt even try)...cmon now man lol

If we're goin asst coach route, I think looking at someone from USC or Louisville would make sense. A program alr close to the UConn tier that has regional ties. I wont even pretend to know WBB coaches, but this game seems wayyyy more regionally based than its male alternative

edit: This is now the candidate thread (as you may be able to see from the title haha), and I'll be more than happy to list potential candidates as they come. This tweet was the official confirmation we've based things on: 

Suggested Candidates (in this thread):

Chad Prewett (Auburn (men's)) 

Chanda Rigby (Troy)

Katie Abrahamson-Henderson (UCF)

Mark Kellogg (Stephen F. Austin)

Sam Purcell (Louisville)

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't know if I've ever seen someone legitimately respond to their own call to action before in my 9 years on this forum 

ONE uconn assistant coach, maybe that's semi feasible. Probably not a top level one, not with this state of affairs. Some ex-player or coach, alright. Dawn Staley or a woman that is one of the 2 leading candidates to replace Gregg Poppovich......uhhhh? Geno Auremia (Spelling...I didnt even try)...cmon now man lol

If we're goin asst coach route, I think looking at someone from USC or Louisville would make sense. A program alr close to the UConn tier that has regional ties. I wont even pretend to know WBB coaches, but this game seems wayyyy more regionally based than its male alternative

I'd really rather see us hire someone with proven connections in the South that has over achieved at their current program.

https://womenshoopsworld.com/2018/02/05/coachs-chair-karl-smesko-florida-gulf-coast-university/

I think Karl Smesko would be the ideal hire.  He turned down USC(Southern Cal) in 2018.  Therefore, he may not be interested.  That said, I would make him turn down $800,000 a couple of times and a chance to coach in the SEC.

Honestly, there are 20 or more people that I would be happy to see given a shot.  We just need to do something and not let this drag on.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I think Karl Smesko would be the ideal hire. 

Not a bad choice.

I'd also look at the following:

Samantha Williams - Head Coach EKU - In her second year as a head coach, EKU.  2007-2011 Recruiting Coordinator at Duke, 2012-2019 - Louisville assistant coach.  Her first year at EKU, she improved the record by 10 wins, going 11-18.  This year, 9-15.

Sam Purcell - Louisville Assistant 2013-present - GT assistant 2009-2013

Missy Tiber - Head Coach North Alabama 2013-present - led team in move up to D1 from D2 - posted a 21-9 record the first year in d1 (2018-2019).  21-9 again in 2019-2020.  7-17 this year, however.

Molly Miller - Head Coach Grand Canyon University - first year there, where she's posted a 16-6 record.  Prior to GCU, she was head coach at D2 Drury University in Missouri where she posted a 180-17 (105-5 in conference play) record in 6 years, winning her conference (the GLVC) every season.  In 2020, she had a perfect 32-0 record going into the D2 NCAA tournament, which was cancelled for Covid.  Not sure what connections she has in the southeast, though, as her Drury teams were made up of girls from the Midwest (MO, KS, WI, and IL).

I don't follow women's college basketball as much as I do men's so I don't know really who would be a good hire. 

I did some searching last night on some possible candidates and one that stood out to me was the UCF coach Katie Abrahamson-Henderson. She's had success everywhere she'e coached. 

She coached at Missouri St, Albany, and now UCF. She took UCF to their first NCAA Tournament in 8 years in 2019. She also took Albany to their first NCAA Tournament in 2012.  Albany was a losing program when she got there and she took them to the NCAA Tournament every year except her first season. Now she's at UCF who had 5 straight losing seasons before she took over and has posted a winning record every year she's been there. 

4 hours ago, all4AU said:

Chanda Rigby has done great at TroyU. Her husband is Eufaula High's football coach so she is already close to Auburn.

She would also be an economical choice for those in the athletic department that want to pretend that there is a money crunch of some kind.  She has done a solid job at Troy.

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, AUJarhead said:

Not a bad choice.

I'd also look at the following:

Samantha Williams - Head Coach EKU - In her second year as a head coach, EKU.  2007-2011 Recruiting Coordinator at Duke, 2012-2019 - Louisville assistant coach.  Her first year at EKU, she improved the record by 10 wins, going 11-18.  This year, 9-15.

Sam Purcell - Louisville Assistant 2013-present - GT assistant 2009-2013

Missy Tiber - Head Coach North Alabama 2013-present - led team in move up to D1 from D2 - posted a 21-9 record the first year in d1 (2018-2019).  21-9 again in 2019-2020.  7-17 this year, however.

Molly Miller - Head Coach Grand Canyon University - first year there, where she's posted a 16-6 record.  Prior to GCU, she was head coach at D2 Drury University in Missouri where she posted a 180-17 (105-5 in conference play) record in 6 years, winning her conference (the GLVC) every season.  In 2020, she had a perfect 32-0 record going into the D2 NCAA tournament, which was cancelled for Covid.  Not sure what connections she has in the southeast, though, as her Drury teams were made up of girls from the Midwest (MO, KS, WI, and IL).

Sam Purcell would be a great choice, in my opinion.  For those unfamiliar I will link his Louisville bio below.

https://gocards.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/sam-purcell/87

40 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I don't follow women's college basketball as much as I do men's so I don't know really who would be a good hire. 

I did some searching last night on some possible candidates and one that stood out to me was the UCF coach Katie Abrahamson-Henderson. She's had success everywhere she'e coached. 

She coached at Missouri St, Albany, and now UCF. She took UCF to their first NCAA Tournament in 8 years in 2019. She also took Albany to their first NCAA Tournament in 2012.  Albany was a losing program when she got there and she took them to the NCAA Tournament every year except her first season. Now she's at UCF who had 5 straight losing seasons before she took over and has posted a winning record every year she's been there. 

She definitely has the experience needed to get results quickly.

Took some posts from the Dear Flo thread & moved them here to create some candidate discussion.

One name I haven't seen mentioned on here but have seen on other AU boards is AU men's assistant Chad Prewett. Some on other sites said he was an awesome high school women's basketball coach in Alabama (One compared him to Gino Auriema) a while back. Any thoughts on him?

• Love 1

• ellitor changed the title to Women's Basketball Coach Candidate Thread

FWIW former AU baller Chantel Tremitiere said on the bunker she likes Chad P. or Sam Purcell hands down

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Took some posts from the Dear Flo thread & moved them here to create some candidate discussion.

One name I haven't seen mentioned on here but have seen on other AU boards is AU men's assistant Chad Prewett. Some on other sites said he was an awesome high school women's basketball coach in Alabama (One compared him to Gino Auriema) a while back. Any thoughts on him?

Is this something that happens commonly? A men’s assistant moving to women’s? Would be interesting imo

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I think he would be great. His daughter can seriously play, so must have taught her well lol. She's gorgeous too of course, which must be credited to mom however.  Sorry, got sidetracked. Continue discussion. 

• Haha 3

On 3/1/2021 at 9:38 AM, all4AU said:

Chanda Rigby has done great at TroyU. Her husband is Eufaula High's football coach so she is already close to Auburn.

Rigby is a terrific basketball coach.  She was at Pensacola State (Used to be pensacola junior college) and took that program to the final 4 in her last 2 years there.  She was 35-1 in 2010-11 and 32-6 in 2011-12.  Overall she was 153-64 in 7 years at Pensacola State.  I would love to have her at Auburn leading this program. 

• Like 1

I am for SFA’s Mark Kellogg

Mark Kellogg has continued the winning tradition of Ladyjack basketball during his five years in Nacogdoches, and enters his sixth season in 2020-21 on the heels of a 23-win campaign in the shortened 2019-20 season. The Ladyjacks were the runner-up in the Southland Conference standings and were poised to complete another 25-win season in the conference tournament, entering as the two-seed. Even still, Kellogg and the Ladyjacks are one of just 20 Division I women's basketball programs to win 23 or more games in each of the past four seasons. 

Among Division I programs in the state of Texas, SFA ranks second behind Baylor in winning percentage (77.8)  and total wins (98) over the past four seasons. SFA's 116 victories over Kellogg's tenure are the highest in the Southland Conference during that span, and SFA is the only SLC team to post four-straight 23+ win seasons. 

The Kellogg File
Hometown: Richardson, Texas
Colleges: Austin College (1998) West Texas A&M (2000)
Family: Trisha (wife), Kayli (daughter) and Camden (son)

Coaching Experience
2016-Present:
 SFA | Head Coach
2013-15: West Texas A&M | Head Coach
2012-13: Northwest Missouri State | Head Coach
2005-12: Fort Lewis College | Head Coach
2001-05: Montana State | Assistant Coach
1998-2000: West Texas A&M | Assistant Coach

Accomplishments
• Three consecutive postseason appearances - 2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19
• Three consecutive 25-win seasons - 2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19
• RMAC Coach of the Year 
• 2013-14 Lone Star Conference Coach of the Year
• 2013-14 Captain U National Coach of the Year 
• WBCA Region 6 Coach of the Year in 2013-14 and 2014-15
• 2X WBCA Regional Coach of the Year • 2010 and 2011
• 116-40 overall record as Head Coach
• 74-18 conference record

By the Numbers
2 | Lone Star Conference Regular Season titles
3 | RMAC Regular Season titles 
4 | Coach of the Year Awards
7 | NCAA Tournament Appearances
9 | All-Conference Selections under Kellogg at SFA
10 | 25+ win seasons 
228 | Conference Victories
366 | Victories as a Head Coach
.775 | Winning % as Head Coach
.808 | Conference Winning %

Edited by AlaskanFAN

Huge Rigby fan. Huge Troy fan. IMHO she deserves a chance at. P5. There’s a big difference between her and other candidates. Such as the candidate above from SFA. Correct me if I am wrong but, He did not build a program at SFA it was already winning championships. She literally built a DI program from second to last in the NCAA to multiple NCAA Tournaments. If you look at her record and look at her bio she’s done it at every level that she is coached at. I think you’ll be hard-pressed to find other candidates with that qualification. If any. Also can recruit Alabama and the Deep South. The office production and rebounding is crazy. Literally tops in the nation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TroyforLife said:

Huge Rigby fan. Huge Troy fan. IMHO she deserves a chance at. P5. There’s a big difference between her and other candidates. Such as the candidate above from SFA. Correct me if I am wrong but, He did not build a program at SFA it was already winning championships. She literally built a DI program from second to last in the NCAA to multiple NCAA Tournaments. If you look at her record and look at her bio she’s done it at every level that she is coached at. I think you’ll be hard-pressed to find other candidates with that qualification. If any. Also can recruit Alabama and the Deep South. The office production and rebounding is crazy. Literally tops in the nation.

Thanks Troy

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

FWIW former AU baller Chantel Tremitiere said on the bunker she likes Chad P. or Sam Purcell hands down

A teacher I've had. As well connected a supporter of the Aub wbb program as any you'll see 

If she lists some names, I'd take that with more weight than anyone's (we'd be likely to hear from)

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Is this something that happens commonly? A men’s assistant moving to women’s? Would be interesting imo

From what I've heard in the recent past, the men's basketball staff here has done some favors in the past when it came to the recruiting. Idk about every school, but I think there's a good bit more overlap here than there is on average. 

In my opinion, I think a great fit for the women's basketball coach would be Marquis Daniels. Think about it, he is familiar with the program, the student-athletes have a lot of respect for him, his resume speaks for itself and he is a Auburn man. It's proven that he can work well with both males or females in basketball based on the great job that he does with his daughter. 

• Like 1

Never would have thought of Chad Prewett but that may honestly be a great move. With the success he had at the high school level, in addition to working under Bruce, I would have pretty high confidence in Chad's ability to develop and game plan. Question is would he be able to recruit at the level needed to at least be upper half of the conference. I would think so but who knows, I'm sure Pearl and staff would help as much as possible. Give him a good staff and lets ride. 

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

Never would have thought of Chad Prewett but that may honestly be a great move. With the success he had at the high school level, in addition to working under Bruce, I would have pretty high confidence in Chad's ability to develop and game plan. Question is would he be able to recruit at the level needed to at least be upper half of the conference. I would think so but who knows, I'm sure Pearl and staff would help as much as possible. Give him a good staff and lets ride. 

If he replicates Bruce's style of play, you can survive with a talent disparity as long as you hit on the big positions. Give him a firecracker PG, a couple good shooters, and some agile size amongst the bigs, and this record could look alot better going into next year. I think SOME of that is already here

There is only one man for the job. It has been right in front of our faces the whole time. This man immediately should be named interim Head Coach!

USATSI_9517953_168381178_lowres.jpg

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2