Women's Basketball Coach Candidate Thread

4 minutes ago, blakem said:

Reckon why we haven’t made a hire yet. I’d think we need one ASAP to build a staff and go after transfers.

@blakem Most hires aren't made until a good ways into or after the NCAA Tourney. There's no rush. There are & will be plenty of transfer upgrades available for a good while. The important thing is to get the HC hire right, not to rush it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@blakem Most hires aren't made until a good ways into or after the NCAA Tourney. There's no rush. There are & will be plenty of transfer upgrades available for a good while. The important thing is to get the HC hire right, not to rush it.

Announcing during the Final 4 would be ideal.  We would at least get a snippet of airtime.  The state of our program has dropped to so low a level that the open position at Oklahoma got an entire ESPN piece of possible hires, while the Auburn position is totally ignored.

45 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Announcing during the Final 4 would be ideal.  We would at least get a snippet of airtime.  The state of our program has dropped to so low a level that the open position at Oklahoma got an entire ESPN piece of possible hires, while the Auburn position is totally ignored.

Regardless getting the right head coach is more important than the timing of the hire.

On 3/8/2021 at 3:17 PM, FlockOfOscars said:

I think we really need to go after Chanda Rigby. She just won her 4th Sun Belt Title and hasn't been at Troy that long. She would be an amazing hire.

You’re crazy we don’t take little school coaches that’s how you lose

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

We should only keep Scott Grayson and get rid of everyone else then go after Better transfers

43 minutes ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

You’re crazy we don’t take little school coaches that’s how you lose

There’s been a lot of little school coaches succeed at higher levels, and a lot that haven’t. No much more or less so than assistant at higher schools.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Regardless getting the right head coach is more important than the timing of the hire.

I agree.  I just wish I had more faith in the decision making when it comes to women's basketball and our athletic department.  The last two extensions that TWF received really put a lot of skepticism in the minds of people that have supported the program for a very long time. 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

There’s been a lot of little school coaches succeed at higher levels, and a lot that haven’t. No much more or less so than assistant at higher schools.

That is true, but, at this point, if we announce Chanda Rigby, that will mean that we got turned down by several other candidates.  That doesn't mean it couldn't work out or that she would be a bad hire, but it would be telling.

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I just wish I had more faith in the decision making when it comes to women's basketball and our athletic department.

The Harsin hire has bought some short term trust for now.

The last two extensions that TWF received really put a lot of skepticism in the minds of people that have supported the program for a very long time.

I really don't see those being a factor nor should be a dwelling point. Those were done by Jacobs & Leathe respectively. ADG had to be the unfortunate mouthpiece for the latter. The only thing I will question ADG for is not firing Flo after she threw the team under the bus at the end of last season.

if we announce Chanda Rigby, that will mean that we got turned down by several other candidates.

Probably a lot of candidates. MM said the other day she is not a candidate.

That doesn't mean it couldn't work out or that she would be a bad hire, but it would be telling.

It's actually normal in most coaching searches to end up with someone who originally wasn't near the top of a list,

Archived