2022 #1 K (Kohls) Alex McPhearson Commits To Auburn

AUMicBK

Powwwwwwwww!!!

Big get and so huge of continuing our Kicker dominance.

• Love 1

Woooooo hooooooo!!!!!! Wanted this guy the most!! Heck yea! Might as well just call him the Cannon! Ball explodes off his foot. 

• augolf1716 changed the title to 2022 #1 K (Kohls) Alex McPhearson Commits To Auburn
  • augolf1716 pinned this topic

Welcome to AU Alex!!

Love this commitment. I am a big believer in having great special teams. And this guy is by far the best HS place kicker in the country. 

• Like 1

Just now, gravejd said:

And this guy is by far the best HS place kicker in the country.

Really is not even close he blew the competition out of the water at the Kohl's Underclassman Challenge

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Doesn't count anything towards the rankings or our perceived recruiting ability, but solid pull.  Always good to have really good kickers

Yeah, the not helping toward rankings kinda bothers me, too. Kickers are important. They aren't on the field as much as position players, but every time they are on the field, their job is critical.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Really is not even close he blew the competition out of the water at the Kohl's Underclassman Challenge

• Like 3
  • Love 4

This could be looked at as prior regimes having a *positive* effect on our current ability to recruit. Objectivity, fam. Hard to ignore the lineage.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This could be looked at as prior regimes having a *positive* effect on our current ability to recruit. Objectivity, fam. Hard to ignore the lineage.

What, you mean that we're going to have 12 consecutive years of the #1 kicker in their respective class? Yeah, that's definitely a good selling point. And, fortunately, it has nothing to do with the offensive or defensive game planning and strategy, so having a new staff doesn't impact the fit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

What, you mean that we're going to have 12 consecutive years of the #1 kicker in their respective class? Yeah, that's definitely a good selling point. And, fortunately, it has nothing to do with the offensive or defensive game planning and strategy, so having a new staff doesn't impact the fit.

I see it going back as far as Scott Etheridge and Terry Daniel. Even John Vaughn was a damned good kicker who had one bad night in a monsoon that caused several players to have bad nights. (Nobody ever seems to ask why we kept having to attempt FGs... Sorry... Wrong thread.)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I see it going back as far as Scott Etheridge and Terry Daniel. Even John Vaughn was a damned good kicker who had one bad night in a monsoon that caused several players to have bad nights. (Nobody ever seems to ask why we kept having to attempt FGs... Sorry... Wrong thread.)

Oh, there's no doubt we've got a long line of great kickers. Don't forget the Godfather of great AU kickers, Al del Greco. Jaret Holmes was great, hitting that clutch 40-something yard game winner in the 97 Iron Bowl after being iced twice...there's no doubt that Auburn has a wealth of history with kickers. I was just mentioning the Carlsons and McPhearson because I know each was the number one kicker in his class, and it covers virtually all of Gus's time here, so it's giving him a bit of a tip of the hat for continuing the kicking recruiting prowess.

• Like 2

Just now, Rednilla said:

Oh, there's no doubt we've got a long line of great kickers. Don't forget the Godfather of great AU kickers, Al del Greco. Jaret Holmes was great, hitting that clutch 40-something yard game winner in 97 after being iced twice...there's no doubt that Auburn has a wealth of history with kickers. I was just mentioning the Carlsons and McPhearson because I know each was the number one kicker in his class, and it covers virtually all of Gus's time here, so it's giving him a bit of a tip of the hat for continuing the kicking recruiting prowess.

True. He did literally as well as is possible. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Harsin did this a few days ago, I think this should the commit post going forward not that robot thing lol

I saw that that was in reference to Demetris

8 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I saw that that was in reference to Demetris

Was that in regards to his, "ball over brand" tweet?

A great kicker wins a few games for a team, very few individual players you can actually say the won the game for you. Auburn has had a history of great kickers and we are adding another one. War Eagle and welcome to the Family.

It's been this way forever and it irritates me. The number 1 rated place kicker in the country is a 3 star. That sooo does not make sense when it comes to winning football games. Same with punters. A great punter turns the field. around. So, I may be wrong but I assume Alex will be the placekicker and we have someone else punt, even though he can punt really well. I've seen too often when a kickers leg gets tired towards the end of the year and doing both may cause this to happen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

It's been this way forever and it irritates me. The number 1 rated place kicker in the country is a 3 star. That sooo does not make sense when it comes to winning football games. Same with punters. A great punter turns the field. around. So, I may be wrong but I assume Alex will be the placekicker and we have someone else punt, even though he can punt really well. I've seen too often when a kickers leg gets tired towards the end of the year and doing both may cause this to happen.

Recruiting sites base their rankings on projected NFL viability, because it's the least subjective way for them to measure the accuracy of their ratings. NFL teams usually only carry one kicker and one punter, and their careers can last eons. So there are very, very few openings for college kickers or punters in any given year, and therefore not much chance of even a "5* kicker" making it to the next level. (The fact that our last two guys made it is beyond remarkable.)

17 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Harsin did this a few days ago, I think this should the commit post going forward not that robot thing lol

I think that tweet was actually in regards to the UGA transfer WR but not sure