The Justin Powell Saga (Merged)

tgrogan21

Just now, Win4AU said:

Things that make you go hmmmm.  

I know we expected to have some people leave but I honestly never expected Powell. Wonder if he just wanted to be close to home after the injuries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I know we expected to have some people leave but I honestly never expected Powell. Wonder if he just wanted to be close to home after the injuries.

Definitely will be interesting to monitor.  Makes you wonder if there’s something else going on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

A couple of people on the paid boards are suggesting it's mostly about being closer to home.

Totally understandable. But dangit, as bruce would say, we keep getting punched in the gut. This sucks

• Like 4

We definitely just can’t have nice things. 

Obvious sarcasm, but man, I hate this. We’ll never get to see what he can do at the 2 with Sharife. He carried us for a little bit while playing out of position before Sharife got cleared. The 1-2 spots would have been stacked next year with Sharife, Powell, Alexander, and Johnson. 

• Like 3

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Totally understandable. But dangit, as bruce would say, we keep getting punched in the gut. This sucks

The only thing that would make it better is if Coop comes back and Scoot reclassifies. :D Hate that he's gone but I can't fault the kid for wanting to be closer to family after he struggled with the injuries this semester. No telling how behind he fell in classes as well with not being able to do really anything.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

A couple of people on the paid boards are suggesting it's mostly about being closer to home.

I hope that doesn’t mean he goes to Kentucky. It would be hard to root for him there. 

https://247sports.com/Article/Justin-Powell-transfer-Auburn-basketball-162070865/

please include at least a portion of the article and not just a link.

Auburn freshman Justin Powell is transferring out of the program, he tells 247Sports.

“I’m very thankful for my time at Auburn,” Powell told 247Sports. “Thank you to Bruce Pearl, the Auburn staff, my teammates, the trainers, doctors and everyone at Auburn but I felt that this was the best decision for me at this time.”

Powell, a 6-foot-6, 205-pound combo guard, had a standout freshman season through six games with Auburn averaging 11.1 points, 6.1 rebounds and 4.7 assists, shooting 56-percent from beyond the stripe.
The Kentucky native will quickly become one of the hottest transfers to hit the market this season.

He was ranked as the No. 185 overall prospect in the 2020 247Sports Composite Rankings.

• Sad 3

Really think there is something going on here. If he don't want to be here, I hope the door don't hit him in ass on the way out

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 3
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, chizhead said:

Really think there is something going on here. If he don't want to be here, I hope the door don't hit him in ass on the way out

Being discussed in the Justin Powell thread already. Multiple people saying it's just him wanting to be closer to home. The kid had 2 serious head injuries at the same time. Injuries that made even studying or doing classwork almost impossible. Not everything that happens is because something bad is going on. Sometimes kids just want to be closer to family and closer to their support system.

• Like 6

Well damn. Hopefully everybody will be respectful of the young man, and also continue to show that respect for all the other athletes as well. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

If he were my son and his injury was/is as serious as we are led to believe, I’d want him closer to home I’ll tell ya that. It’s not like he grew up wanting to go here and there is no direct link to AU other than wanting to play for Bruce.  There was an unexpected variable thrown in to the mix and things changed. I think it’s as simple as that. Heck I’d be heading closer to home too. This isn’t  your normal transfer situation. Hopefully folks will use their common sense and see this for what it is. Good luck to the kid, I’ll be pulling hard for him to make a full recovery. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I agree no matter what anybody says.

• Like 2

The Alexander kid can do some of the creating things and should be a decent facilitator in time, but it sucks to lose a fella who you could literally plug in and get 50% (!!!) three point shooting from, day one. Honest to God, I thought he was the best shooter I've seen at this school during this recent stretch. sucks

37 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Being discussed in the Justin Powell thread already. Multiple people saying it's just him wanting to be closer to home. The kid had 2 serious head injuries at the same time. Injuries that made even studying or doing classwork almost impossible. Not everything that happens is because something bad is going on. Sometimes kids just want to be closer to family and closer to their support system.

Don’t buy this. It’s not like Kentucky is in another country or he lived in the far corners of this country. 

im hearing it had to do with Auburn not wanting to clear him medically. 

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Justin Powell to transfer

I'm alittle shocked to say the least. Really think he would have helped us make another run at a Final Four