Schwartz on receiving corps

chizhead

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I seriously want a 30 for 30 on Gus. I think the takeaway would be amazement. Not at how bad he was. Amazement at how many games he somehow won while BEING so bad.

I'll explain it easily. He wasn't as bad as alleged in this thread or he wouldn't have won so many games. Some of this stuff might have happened to a limited extent but had it been the norm there would have been far, far fewer wins and Gus would have been gone from AU after two seasons.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take is Gus really wasn't a football coach. He was more of a strategist. And not a all situation type strategist but if you give him specific talent he could cause mismatches. 

He's not going to be able to take a team that's completely outclassed but coach his way to anything, but if you give him superior athletes he could createlet's say an average of 5 one on one plays and if you were able to capitalize on those situations you may be able to win.

But an alpha leader of men? Or an excellent communicator???? Nah

54 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'll explain it easily. He wasn't as bad as alleged in this thread or he wouldn't have won so many games. Some of this stuff might have happened to a limited extent but had it been the norm there would have been far, far fewer wins and Gus would have been gone from AU after two seasons.

Gus is just another example in a long line of them since Dye that even below average to average head coaches can have success here because Auburn is a absolute awesome great freaking job and the biggest sleeping giant in the sport. We don't even need good coaches here to have success every now and then. We do need a actual good coach though to get us where we all want to go which is sustained success. For the love of God pleaaaaseeeee let us have back to back 10 win season's AGAIN. It's been over 30 got damn year's.....

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

It's pretty obvious since 14 we've essentially out talented teams except for UGA/Bama/LSU.  And we got destroyed by anyone that had more talent than us.  Except for a couple of miracles against Bama.

2 hours ago, auelvis87 said:

I wonder how many times since December BDH has said, "Damn.  What the hell was this guy doing/thinking?"

Every time. 

17 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Reason number 12,000 I never wanted Gus . It is truly a high school offense . He never developed and underutilized. Wasted years and wasted talent 

Sounds like the title to a country song

"Wasted Years and Wasted Talent". dung by Gus and the Goobers.

13 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

not sure if you meant to type "dung" or "sung", but it is definitely more appropriate as written.

23 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would Gus and company do something like this? Was Gus just insecure in the game plan or overthinking things to the point he would only want to do the same simple strategy every time? I don't get it.

Because Gus couldn't use a clutch and shift gears, therefore, the GusBus stayed in reverse.

11 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Makes me wonder what left behind trinket or file CBH found in Gus’ desk that he had to immediately summon another coach to witness/share it...

a vintage issue of Playboy maybe? 

15 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Makes me wonder what left behind trinket or file CBH found in Gus’ desk that he had to immediately summon another coach to witness/share it...

A box labeled "Scouting" that contained a Halloween-sized bag of bubble gum and a reel of 8mm film showing highlights from 2006 Arkansas. 

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I was thinking more along the lines of Mad Libs-The Football Edition

With every blank on every page filled in with one of the same five words. 

54 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

His hate mail.

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

Yes it does my friend . Gus and the carpet baggers singing “ if I ain’t number 1 in your life,  then number 2 on you”

the main "why" that came to my mind was...maybe this guy was just paranoid people could figure out his pre-planned gameplans, and thought he was getting an advantage by changing things last second 

like playing chess against yourself 

5 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

A Springdale High School 2005 Playbook with "Springdale High School 2005" crossed out and "University of Auburn 2020" written above it.  Oh, and it was autographed by Gustav and had Bazooka Joe comics marking all 3 pages.

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's pretty obvious since 14 we've essentially out talented teams except for UGA/Bama/LSU.  And we got destroyed by anyone that had more talent than us.  Except for a couple of miracles against Bama.

And Oregon. And Washington. And Texas A&M. And Georgia. And LSU. And Louisville. Gee, that's a lot of miracles!

On 3/10/2021 at 8:41 PM, augolf1716 said:

Yep................................but always has thought he is the smartest coach in the country

Sad thing about this was he used to be.  The way he baffled defenses in 2010 was genius.  South Carolina learned the hard way.  All those out routes in first game became out and ups in that beatdown SEC title game.  Smoove went off. 

Archived