***2021 Grad Transfer PG Zep Jasper (Committed)*

toddc

Jasper shot 34.5 percent from 3-point range last season and 43.7 percent overall from the field.

Strange 3pt %/field % ratio, IMO.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Jasper shot 34.5 percent from 3-point range last season and 43.7 percent overall from the field.

He also shot 87% from the line. :D

43 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Maybe he mostly shot threes. 

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Takes a ton of very difficult shots. Pull up mid ranges, etc. Think Samir-ish Idk how he is as a finisher at the rim, but teams won’t be able to double him very often 

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

He also shot 87% from the line. :D

Really the best indicator to see if a guy’s shooting can be improved or not. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this guy become a 42+% catch and shooter 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think this guy is a really interesting get. Can score good as hell, seems to be a solid shooter. If the defensive end is no problem, I could see him becoming bout new Jvon very quickly 

He is a straight up DAWWWWWWWWWG defender!!!! He is ALL CLAMPS NO BRAKES BAY BAAAY!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!

LFG!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSIRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEEDED THIS!!! WE ALL NEEDED THIS!!!!!!!!!! THIS DUDE IS A REALLY GOOD ADDITION FOR US!!!! WE NEEDED A STRAIGHT UP PIT BULL ON DEFENSE AND HE DEF FITS THE FILL!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

From what I have seen though limited a very solid shooter and an in your face defender on the ball handler. He will be a great fit at worse a very good backup PG but with his defense and shooting skills a solid starting PG.  A great pickup now lets see who else Bruce can bring in. Ideally another PG type and a dynamic 2. That way we will have PG depth 2 depth and we already have 3,4, and 5 depth. If Cardwell takes the next step this year in strength and conditioning and developing a down low game we could be dangerous.

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If Cardwell takes the next step this year in strength and conditioning and developing a down low game we could be dangerous.

I feel like a broken record, and Im sure other people do reading this, but I think its his hand eye coordination that could use a bit of work, as well as just trying to figure out how to play "measured" while also being that crazy energetic kid! I think I'd rather him be who he is and have the occasional mistakes as he did, but I also want him to be his best for his personal future. Kid runs the court incredibly well for someone 6'11 and 250 

9 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I feel like a broken record, and Im sure other people do reading this, but I think its his hand eye coordination that could use a bit of work, as well as just trying to figure out how to play "measured" while also being that crazy energetic kid! I think I'd rather him be who he is and have the occasional mistakes as he did, but I also want him to be his best for his personal future. Kid runs the court incredibly well for someone 6'11 and 250 

Actually, for a big man I thought his hands and his eye coordination were very good for a guy that didn't get to play his last year in HS. I can remember some alley oops and some laser passes coming from Sharife that Cardwell handled very well in the post. It sure beats stone hands WIley or Spencer. His problems seemed just having to play at a different speed in college and as you did say, he definitely needed to improve his strength and conditioning, as mostly he was pushed around inside and lost a lot of 50/50 rebounds.

But he has great potential to become a very good center. I would like to see if he even has any shot ability as it seems his only shots were dunks and layups...(outside of his 1 spectacular 3 pt whirlybird shot he made). :)

Only had 19 turnovers in 20 or so games. That’s awesome 

18 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

I don't see the problem here or am I missing something? He would definitely have a lower % shooting 3's, but the avg is pretty consistent for good 3 pt shooters. As to his overall shooting % that's pretty good, which could mean he has a lot of layups in his shots....

33 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Actually, for a big man I thought his hands and his eye coordination were very good for a guy that didn't get to play his last year in HS. I can remember some alley oops and some laser passes coming from Sharife that Cardwell handled very well in the post. It sure beats stone hands WIley or Spencer. His problems seemed just having to play at a different speed in college and as you did say, he definitely needed to improve his strength and conditioning, as mostly he was pushed around inside and lost a lot of 50/50 rebounds.

But he has great potential to become a very good center. I would like to see if he even has any shot ability as it seems his only shots were dunks and layups...(outside of his 1 spectacular 3 pt whirlybird shot he made). :)

How dare you question a 100% 3-point shooter!

Scoring threat aside, Jasper addresses two needs for next year, turnovers and D.  His ability to fight thru screens and stay on his opponent maintains structure in the post which will give us a positional advantage to rebound.  If he can stretch the zone with his shot then it’s gravy 

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't think the hands were on the top of the improvements I feel he could have, but he's gonna have to be able to handle passes from non fantastic passers too...maybe that's just more of a preferential thing than a MUST though. Definitely better than Spencer, Wiley, Stretch etc. 

Guys dont get many post touches in our offense, and I honestly dont even remember him having more than 4, but the way the NBA is, you really don't need to have that tbh. If he could evolve into this guy from Texas that ended up drafted by the Pelicans a couple seasons ago (Hayes?), crazy athletic floor runner that contests everything and is great on the pick and roll, that would be a good direction for him. 

If Cardwell and Thor improve as much as Flannigan and Jaylin did from Freshman to Sophomore year, we're in for a treat next year. I admit that I don't have the eye for elite talent and potential of some on this forum, but I honestly was not sure those two young men were SEC level basketball players.  Was I ever wrong. CBP and his staff deserve a lot of the credi,t but those two Auburn men obviously put in a tremendous amount of work in the off season.  That door is also wide open for Dylan and J.T. and the others as well.

3 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

Has he signed yet? When will he?  We may lose him to BC if his coach loves him and he loves his coach.  We need to lock him down!

Didn’t his coach leave the same day the guy committed? Maybe that was a factor in accelerating his commitment timeline (as I read was reported in here). Either way, I wouldn’t let this cause you too much anxiety, as the guy committed here for Bruce

Archived