Cooper Draft Talk (4/2/21 Update: Enters Draft)

ellitor

That's what a number of people connected to the AU Bball program are now thinking. Apparently his camp thinks his draft stock is as high as it's going to be. They apparently don't think his D will improve much & his shooting is believed to not dramatically affect where he goes in the draft. Yes it's possible he may return but AU os pushing hard for Zep Jasper in preparations of sharife leaving.

• Sad 4

Why can’t we have nice things when we could use them?

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's what a number of people connected to the AU Bball program are now thinking. Apparently his camp thinks his draft stock is as high as it's going to be. They apparently don't think his D will improve much & his shooting is believed to not dramatically affect where he goes in the draft. Yes it's possible he may return but AU os pushing hard for Zep Jasper in preparations of sharife leaving.

Yep.

Sounds about Auburn haha 

with the position his dad is, I’m sure most of this feedback is coming from some professional outlets. Hard to ignore that if I was their family. 
My main thought was that his shot is pretty much the linchpin on if this guy’s career works or not. It’s definitely fixable, but that chance exists that it doesn’t get fixed right? If that happens....guy is probably unstartable. And in this era of the game, you’re only getting like 3 years max to show if you can or can’t do that 

if they as a unit believe that this guy is a low teens, high 20s guy, and what has gone into that drop in projection can’t be changed, then there was really nothing we could’ve ever done. He could’ve never played and landed in that range. Could’ve stopped after the 4-1 start and probably been higher. 

• Like 1

I don’t understand how someone can be that blind - the kid has so many things he needs to work on. His shot, his defense, finishing at the rim, mid-range shot, floaters, etc. 

Big mistake if he goes pro

• Like 3

I'm still undecided on if it's best for Cooper to leave.  He has undeveloped parts of his game, but Auburn basketball fans have never understood that you can still be drafted high if NBA teams think that you have potential.  Mid to late first round picks usually don't contribute their first year anyway, so it gives the team some time to develop the player in the manner they see best.

So does Cooper have enough potential to still be drafted pretty high after only one year?  He certainly shows it in his court vision, but he lacks it in physical measurables (height, wingspan, leaping ability, etc.).  I'm currently not optimistic about him developing into a starting-caliber PG; if NBA teams agree with me, I don't think they'll want to use a high pick on an undeveloped player with his ceiling.  

I guess he should stay, but if he goes, I hope he proves me a fool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

I don’t understand how someone can be that blind - the kid has so many things he needs to work on. His shot, his defense, finishing at the rim, mid-range shot, floaters, etc. 

Agree 100%.

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

A lot of what he can improve on will prob be easy to work on for a competent player dev staff tbh. And if you’re going in the back half of the first round, you’re pretty likely to get that. 

I think it’s a risk, but we know money doesn’t matter to him, and if lottery also doesn’t...what’s really holding him back? 

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

...what’s really holding him back? 

Hopefully playing in a NCAA tournament!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

.what’s really holding him back? 

The opportunity to actually accomplish something in college basketball? If money doesn't matter then he should stay. Unless, of course, he hasn't been enjoying college life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Honestly, I expected this to happen at some point.  Not as much because he’s NBA ready, but because we’re Auburn and this is what happens at Auburn.  😰

At least you didn't say JABA. :)

I hate it when we talk like this. It happens, and we are lucky we have a coach that can recruit so well, to offset these types of changes. If we continue to sign high 4* and 5* guys, we will just have to get used to guys going pro after 1 year.

Just wait, it will be talked again next year for Jabari and Thor...so better get used to it. lol.

So I don't believe in the JABA thing, since we have reached new heights with PEarl, and expect to get their soon again...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

i am not questioning the young mans toughness but it sure seemed like he got pushed around a lot and took a beating in some games. anyone have thoughts on that? i just think he might benefit more  bulking up as working on his shot? i want him to stay but my reasons are purely selfish.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Seems like we heard that before somewhere.

Yeah. I didn’t want to say you said most if not all of this beforehand because that would’ve just drawn more people out to criticize you and I’m kind of tired of the back-and-forth on that.

I for one do not think he's ready for the pros. Not the NBA anyway, maybe Europe. Okoro was ready for the pros. Cooper is not. But, I think he's gone. I just hope he doesn't regret the decision, even if he will be making more money than most of us combined. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. I didn’t want to say you said most if not all of this beforehand because that would’ve just drawn more people out to criticize you and I’m kind of tired of the back-and-forth on that.

I'm going to make another handle and start posting and when the thanks for the knowledgeable post come lift the mask joker style and just run off 😂

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm going to make another handle and start posting and when the thanks for the knowledgeable post come lift the mask joker style and just run off 😂

Just don't tell @bigbird your new handle.  Lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

Seems like we heard that before somewhere.

Your welcome...

:poke:

• Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Your welcome...

:poke:

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It'll probably be something like, Dribgib

I see what you did there. Maybe I’m not too old to keep up, with the simple stuff anyway. 😝 

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

I see what you did there. Maybe I’m not too old to keep up, with the simple stuff anyway. 😝 

Old is just a frickin word

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Old is just a frickin word

My brain knows it but my body keeps arguing about it. 

• Haha 1