Cooper Draft Talk (4/2/21 Update: Enters Draft)

ellitor

I’ll venture an uninformed guess Coop ends with Houston at 23 or 24 and Thor ends up in OKC at 34 or 36. We’ll see though. Excited for both guys to make it to the show. 

1 hour ago, AuburnArch13 said:

I’ll venture an uninformed guess Coop ends with Houston at 23 or 24 and Thor ends up in OKC at 34 or 36. We’ll see though. Excited for both guys to make it to the show. 

Both could have stayed 1 more year and ended up lottery picks. Sigh. If only.

20 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

And a ship!

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Yes Coop definitely should’ve stayed another year. He could’ve been making bank from NIL and been a lottery pick.

• Like 2

Yep somebody spun these guys some garbage . The teams are taking guys over them like crazy. They will be two more G league players trying to make it on those salaries. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Yes Coop definitely should’ve stayed another year. He could’ve been making bank from NIL and been a lottery pick.

Cooper is a 6ft guard that hasn’t shown he can shoot. Probably was never going to be a lottery pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dunndone414 said:

Cooper is a 6ft guard that hasn’t shown he can shoot. Probably was never going to be a lottery pick.

He can get streaky and make plays. his issue for dropping are mainly that he's a defensive liability. 

Dang, there goes the 1st Round run for Bruce.  Although, Jalen Green, Kuminga, and Davion Mitchell went top 9. First 2 were thought to be coming to AU and the 3rd was at Auburn but left for PT. Just saying that Bruce saw their talent in recruiting. I know we can't really claim them for AU.

34 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

I still am shocked he declared honestly. I mean, I probably would have too based on all the mocks that had him as a lottery, but it just never added to me. Had half a season of CBB and no jumpshot. I definitely thought he would not be in this boat though. Crazy.

Feel absolutely terrible for Sharife. Very tough to watch this unfold. I wish he would have came back and gotten his jump shot better. Still think he'll ball out in the long run but this sucks

SMH for Cooper. What kind of sources were feeding him info about going first round? I never saw it in his game. NBA execs apparently didn’t either.

Well there ya go. In the second half of the second round the Hawks pluck him off the “what’s wrong with these good players?” pile.

Edited by tigeraddikt

While he may have gone a lot lower than expected, he had to be ecstatic to basically be playing at home. And pairing him up with Trae Young?  Cooper may get a ring next year. 

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

SMH for Cooper. What kind of sources were feeding him info about going first round? I never saw it in his game. NBA execs apparently didn’t either.

Isn't his dad his agent? SMH. He'll be fine but definitely going to have to put the work in. A year in college could have helped his draft for sure. Pearl also needs to lay off the hype, I hope he's shooting straight behind closed doors. Good luck and work in ATL

Not a good draft night for either Thor or Coop. Both fell to the second round though i think most would say second round was expected. I know there was some chatter about them going higher but i always figured it was a long shot. Thor definitely would have benefitted from coming back....i don't know about Coop. Showing a jump shot during actual games in college would have helped him but coming back would have also exposed his poor defense even more. 

I'm on the fence about if the Hawks are as terrible landing spot as they seem on the surface. He has zero change to start there as long as Trae is healthy. They can't play at the same time and Coop is not going to replace Trae as a starter. But this could be a good chance for him to work on his game without needing to be the guy leading the teams offense. So maybe this is a blessing in disguise as he won't be pressed into action too early and get exposed. 

I think Thor went to the Pistons right?? I have no idea how he fits in that roster but its too bad we can't seem to land a player on any good teams. :( 

Thor is with Charlotte. 

• Thanks 1

Trae Young is honestly the best player in all of basketball for Sharife to learn from, so there is a positive there. If he can raise his stock to be their lead second unit floor general, there's some fantastic options for both shooting and PnR lob threats. 

But I'd be lying if I didn't feel a mixture of disappointment and sorrow at a certain point in that process. Maybe some of it was selfish (dude would be leading a championship winner if he came back), but 80% of it is...a guy that has a skill as insane as his passing shouldn't be closer to being undrafted than being a lottery player. I also believe a huge part of his slo-mo shot and poor lift was just trying to adjust to shooting on a college level whilst being thrown into the deep side of the pool. Now why you declare knowing that you are closer to a second round guy even per mocks...I mean I don't know. 

Just very, very disappointing, but he did go to an incredibly ideal spot and I wish him the best 

56 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Trae Young is honestly the best player in all of basketball for Sharife to learn from, so there is a positive there. If he can raise his stock to be their lead second unit floor general, there's some fantastic options for both shooting and PnR lob threats. 

But I'd be lying if I didn't feel a mixture of disappointment and sorrow at a certain point in that process. Maybe some of it was selfish (dude would be leading a championship winner if he came back), but 80% of it is...a guy that has a skill as insane as his passing shouldn't be closer to being undrafted than being a lottery player. I also believe a huge part of his slo-mo shot and poor lift was just trying to adjust to shooting on a college level whilst being thrown into the deep side of the pool. Now why you declare knowing that you are closer to a second round guy even per mocks...I mean I don't know. 

Just very, very disappointing, but he did go to an incredibly ideal spot and I wish him the best 

The info spewing out of NFL experts definitely was misinformation on Coop. They kept talking about him rising to lottery pickings, and that his combines were fantastic. All Smoke...

They took 10 PGs ahead of Coop. That should tell you something.

And their contracts are not guaranteed, so just bc he is 2nd round, he is going to have to improve that jump shot and his D to stick even for 1 year.

He probably can do it, but another year at Auburn would have put less pressure on him while he worked on his weaknesses.

Both Cooper and Thor took calculated risks in going into the draft. The NIL didn't exist when they originally went into the draft we still don't know how well it will help the young people. It could be all over the place. Thor with his athleticism and size will be fine maybe staying in school another year on a strength and conditioning program would have moved him up but he also could have gotten injured. Thor will get a contract as they always need players like him and he will get better every year. Cooper has some unique skills and also has some issues size and possibly a weak outside shot.  Size would not have changed if he came back another year. Worse case for Cooper is he will play G-League and make some money.  As for his outside shot I have heard the reason it was bad at Auburn is he was not in game shape but the way he moved belied that. He can work on his shot in G-League or in NBA if in camp he shows his shot is really improved. He is a great facilitator I think he will get a contract.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1