Cooper Draft Talk (4/2/21 Update: Enters Draft)

ellitor

15 minutes ago, Grumps said:

So does this likely mean that Cooper already knows who will probably draft him, or does he just rely on the rankings?

There is an evaluation period typically, but with his dad being an agent I am guessing his case is a little unique.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

3 years in a row with a 1st round pick.  Recruits come running.  This is AUsome!

It does help recruiting, but I’d like to win a little more. Good luck to Coop. The future of Auburn basketball looks murky even with that 5* coming in this fall. 

• ellitor changed the title to Cooper Draft Talk (4/2/21 Update: Enters Draft)
19 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we have more than one next year.

I would be surprised if we didn't.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steeleagle said:

and then we still won't know possibly until before 5:00pm on the following Monday after the draft. He has until then to pull his name out...

@steeleagle Where have you seen this? Before this year players always had to make their final decisions before the draft.

Regardless Sharife is not returning as covered later in the thread.

14 hours ago, AUwent said:

Are our prospects still pretty good for next year, even without him?

@AUwent Very much so. Read up on Scoot Henderson, Zep Jasper, Trey Alexander, & TyTy Washington. We have threads on all of them.

• Like 2

Hate to see him leave but also happy that he can make his dream come true in the NBA. Will be another Auburn player that I'll have to watch/keep up on. These kids gonna make me start watching the NBA more. War Eagle to Coop!

Also, because it hasn't been said today. Frick the NCAA!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

and some tried to pretend that we didn't want him

They could be wrong but every AU source connected to the program has insisted that although JD is extremely athletic he was not a take for us for a good while. The plan for a long time was to get Scoot Henderson & get him reclassified to this class. Both are trending as very likely to happen at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

So does this likely mean that Cooper already knows who will probably draft him, or does he just rely on the rankings?

@Grumps His dad is an agent & some AU sources are saying for Coop to go & stay in the draft that his dad has some assurances from a team or teams that Coop will be picked in the 1st round.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Should remove the main limiter behind Henderson officially reclassifying, if I interpreted Ellitor’s post correctly 

giphy.gif

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's like this in the beginning. You go from suck to getting some guys in the league but it's just now getting consistent. Eventually we'll have a bunch of talent to back up talent when guys leave. But you have to get started somewhere

If things fall into place soon as expected we are starting that process now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@steeleagle Where have you seen this? Before this year players always had to make their final decisions before the draft.

Regardless Sharife is not returning as covered later in the thread.

I believe this is the latest, but still waiting on NCAA to give their deadline to pull out of draft...

UPDATE

The NBA’s early-entry deadline for the draft will be May 30th, and the withdrawal deadline is July 19th. This is however, not the NCAA deadline to withdraw from the draft, which is likely to be earlier in July.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2021/3/29/22356988/kentucky-wildcats-basketball-dates-2021-nba-draft-combine-isaiah-jackson

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

They could be wrong but every AU source connected to the program has insisted that although JD is extremely athletic he was not a take for us for a good while. The plan for a long time was to get Scoot Henderson & get him reclassified to this class. Both are trending as very likely to happen at this point.

Yeah that would make Bruce an idiot and I refuse to think he's an idiot and he's more than athletic but that's something everybody will see later I guess but contrary to what many think you can have more than one good guard on the team. Nobody with a brain is saying I don't want both, I want one or the other. 

27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I believe this is the latest, but still waiting on NCAA to give their deadline to pull out of draft...

UPDATE

The NBA’s early-entry deadline for the draft will be May 30th, and the withdrawal deadline is July 19th. This is however, not the NCAA deadline to withdraw from the draft, which is likely to be earlier in July.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2021/3/29/22356988/kentucky-wildcats-basketball-dates-2021-nba-draft-combine-isaiah-jackson

@steeleagle Thanks but I don't see where that covers your 5 PM comment the Monday after the draft. From the article the draft is July 29 but players have to make a final decision 10 days before the draft, July 19.

29 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah that would make Bruce an idiot and I refuse to think he's an idiot and he's more than athletic but that's something everybody will see later I guess but contrary to what many think you can have more than one good guard on the team. Nobody with a brain is saying I don't want both, I want one or the other. 

That's fair, especially since it looks like Scoot is a bit more polished as a point (right now) than JD. We landed Trey Alexander & look to be good with TyTy Washington but I don't think either one would be better as a combo guard than JD.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

It's like this in the beginning. You go from suck to getting some guys in the league but it's just now getting consistent. Eventually we'll have a bunch of talent to back up talent when guys leave. But you have to get started somewhere

This post makes me feel so much better! It seems simple but I would never have thought of it. All I could think is that this year's team might be the most talented team Auburn has ever had but we didn't even win 50% of our games. Next year's team will likely be more talented than this year's but I still don't see us ready to win the league next year. But, it's coming!

52 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@steeleagle Thanks but I don't see where that covers your 5 PM comment the Monday after the draft. From the article the draft is July 29 but players have to make a final decision 10 days before the draft, July 19.

Sorry. I tried to find that article, bc I know it was recent, but it was almost 24 hours ago, and I couldn't find it again. All I could find was what I just posted...And I am a great Googler :) for info, and very meticulous that I find current info, or you can find almost anything that is older too, especially in this Covid time, and be wrong...

40 minutes ago, Grumps said:

This post makes me feel so much better! It seems simple but I would never have thought of it. All I could think is that this year's team might be the most talented team Auburn has ever had but we didn't even win 50% of our games. Next year's team will likely be more talented than this year's but I still don't see us ready to win the league next year. But, it's coming!

I agree, would could be more talented.

But the key will be can we improve enough with more Freshman having to contribute. Again its, building a cohesive team again w/ Jabari, Alexander, Zep, and possible Ty Ty and Scoot. And can a team like this, and still so young, make it deep into the NCAAs. 

I know if we don't have key injuries we should definitely be more competitive, And with the veterans, can we be competitive to win the SEC or go deep into the NCAAs? 

With it looking so good for Scoot and TY TY we will have a really strong group of guards next year. Scoot and Zep at PG both capable to be starters and both capable of playing SG.  Alexander and TY TY at SG both capable of being starters and both capable at helping out at PG.  SF Flanagan, Cambridge, Moore, PF Jabari, Williams, Moore, Center Williams, Cardwell, Stretch  with possibility of adding Kessler or Gurley.

What will be nice is we will have a mixture of new players and veterans. 

I expect Jabari to go 1st round NBA next year and I wouldn't be surprised to see Henderson also go 1st round. Which should help Auburn in recruiting long run.

If this works out we will be able to play two full teams with little to no drop off in talent and still have a solid sub or two

Edited by AuburnNTexas

31 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I expect Jabari to go 1st round NBA next year and I wouldn't be surprised to see Henderson also go 1st round.

@AuburnNTexas As rules are now Scoot can't leave for the draft until 2023. He just turned 17 & you can't enter the draft until you turn at least 19 the year of the draft you are going in. Would be huge if we could get him here 2 years.

On next year's draft I could see us having 3 1st rounders in Jabari, Flan, & Thor should he return.

• Love 1