Cooper Draft Talk (4/2/21 Update: Enters Draft)

ellitor

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AuburnNTexas As rules are now Scoot can't leave for the draft until 2023. He just turned 17 & you can't enter the draft until you turn at least 19 the year of the draft you are going in. Would be huge if we could get him here 2 years.

On next year's draft I could see us having 3 1st rounders in Jabari, Flan, & Thor should he return.

You know how it works for us,  they always change the damn rules when it looks like we are set lol

Edited by AUBwins
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AuburnNTexas As rules are now Scoot can't leave for the draft until 2023. He just turned 17 & you can't enter the draft until you turn at least 19 the year of the draft you are going in. Would be huge if we could get him here 2 years.

On next year's draft I could see us having 3 1st rounders in Jabari, Flan, & Thor should he return.

I thought Thor had the same issue? He was 17 and reclassified, so how can he go after 1 year of college? 

Or is it more of when he turns 17 the year he classifies?

21 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I thought Thor had the same issue? He was 17 and reclassified, so how can he go after 1 year of college? 

Or is it more of when he turns 17 the year he classifies?

JT's birthday is in August. He might have been 17 when he first enrolled at Auburn, but he was 18 during the season, and will be 19 this coming August, so he still qualifies for this year's draft. Scoot won't turn 18 until 2022.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

JT's birthday is in August. He might have been 17 when he first enrolled at Auburn, but he was 18 during the season, and will be 19 this coming August, so he still qualifies for this year's draft. Scoot won't turn 18 until 2022.

Correct. Also most people don't realize this but Thor was originally in the 2020 class, reclassed to the 2021 class because of all the moving he had done & then reclassed back to 2020 when he realized he had enough & the right high school credits to go ahead & finish in 2020.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Correct. Also most people don't realize this but Thor was originally in the 2020 class, reclassed to the 2021 class because of all the moving he had done & then reclassed back to 2020 when he realized he had enough & the right high school credits to go ahead & finish in 2020.

I was wondering. Bc all I heard before the season started was how Thor was only 17, and even announcers during the season said he was only 17 when he re-classified and was playing for us....

Wish him well, but sorry I invested any energy getting excited about him playing 10 games in orange and blue. Between the portal, NBA and G League, the game feels more mercenary every day.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Wish him well, but sorry I invested any energy getting excited about him playing 10 games in orange and blue. Between the portal, NBA and G League, the game feels more mercenary every day.

Agreed, this 1 and done stuff is starting to grate on me. Colleges go through the expense of recruiting, housing, training, education and in return they should be able to have a little more stability. A 2 year rule makes more sense for the fans and university. Colleges are not there to be NBA farm teams.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Agreed, this 1 and done stuff is starting to grate on me. Colleges go through the expense of recruiting, housing, training, education and in return they should be able to have a little more stability. A 2 year rule makes more sense for the fans and university. Colleges are not there to be NBA farm teams.  

A two-year rule is unlikely to happen. Letting kids go straight from high school to the NBA is much more likely in the next few years.

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A two-year rule is unlikely to happen. Letting kids go straight from high school to the NBA is much more likely in the next few years.

We'll see. The universities and fans have some skin in the game too and their voice needs to be heard. As far as the better players are concerned, going directly from HS to the NBA should always be an option. 

• Like 1

The going to pro is already a done deal. But you guys are doing the usual thing the NCAAbanks on.....going at the player, the NCAA could do things to make it more appealing to stay in college but they don't so this is what you get. 

I think that's crazy to say a college invest so much into an athlete as far as recruiting and stuff like that......get out of here the college easily wins in the arrangement all the time. To be upset that the players are taking some of the leverage is asinine.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The going to pro is already a done deal. But you guys are doing the usual thing the NCAAbanks on.....going at the player, the NCAA could do things to make it more appealing to stay in college but they don't so this is what you get. 

I think that's crazy to say a college invest so much into an athlete as far as recruiting and stuff like that......get out of here the college easily wins in the arrangement all the time. To be upset that the players are taking some of the leverage is asinine.

Up until my late teens/early 20s I thought the complete opposite of what you said. Now that I've grown up a bit, I see what the NCAA is doing to these kids and realize that me going at the kids is not the way to go about it. If I was a talented athlete, I would do whatever it took for me to get a shot at making MILLIONS. If that meant leaving a college after one year or transferring to another school that would give me more playing time/experience then you bet your butt I would.

An average career length in the NBA is about 5 years and in the NFL about 2.5 years. If players are very lucky they'll have a long, healthy, and lucrative career in major leagues but more than likely not. You have your entire life to worry about going back to school and getting a degree after your playing time is done or during your time in the league.

Will I be a bit sad or disappointed when a player leaves the team I root for? Yes, definitely. especially in the case of Coop where his recruiting was so hyped up for so many years and then the NCAA/COVID screwed him and the fans out of a once in a generation talent. But I will never actively want a player to stay just because I think they have to be loyal to a school. There's a reason why our coaches will push a player to get evaluated and if they get a good grade to leave. They wouldn't want the players to stay and risk a career ending injury for no money.

Colleges make way more money off the blood, sweat, and tears of these kids than any recruiting expense ever will.

https://www.athleticdirectoru.com/articles/an-analysis-of-college-basketball-recruiting-costs/

Auburn basketball only spent $196,200 on recruiting expenses in 2019. I'm fairly certain whatever Auburn earns is way more than that.

Edited by tgrogan21
Including a link
  • Like 2

Not too shabby!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I hardly went “at the player.” I wished him well. Just recognizing the increasing importance of tempering my enthusiasm over signing guys with obvious NBA talent. Hopefully, you get a brief, but meaningful, contribution for your team. The system’s changed. “Big” G league contracts are a recent development. Don’t blame the players for seizing the opportunity. It’s a new reality calling for new expectations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

We'll see. The universities and fans have some skin in the game too and their voice needs to be heard. As far as the better players are concerned, going directly from HS to the NBA should always be an option. 

My point being that when kids can go from high school to the NBA you'll still have your 1 or 2 & dones as it will be the next tier of guys doing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yup & when asked in court what's the reasoning for doing the things they've done for so long as in not letting players gets benefits from their NIL their lame ass answer always is because that's just how we've always done it. It's ridiculous & pathetic.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

I hardly went “at the player.” I wished him well. Just recognizing the increasing importance of tempering my enthusiasm over signing guys with obvious NBA talent. Hopefully, you get a brief, but meaningful, contribution for your team. The system’s changed. “Big” G league contracts are a recent development. Don’t blame the players for seizing the opportunity. It’s a new reality calling for new expectations.

If you didn't go at him then I wasn't referring to you

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Not too shabby!

Even more remarkable to think how he also missed practice time with the team and he jumped in against the actual tough opponents and this isn't putting up hollow numbers against guys that suck. 

And also he's not a physically dominating type of player, he literally was doing this because of an advanced skill level. We didn't have a high offensively talented squad, he is actually probably alot better than we even saw. Once he get to run a team with a bunch of guys that are super talented on the offensive end, and not a team with only one maybe two guys who can create their own shot, he's going to be able to show even more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

We just need to recruit shorter super talented PG’s that don’t fit the nba mold ala Harper ... ;)

who’s in the NBA

46 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

We just need to recruit shorter super talented PG’s that don’t fit the nba mold ala Harper ... ;)

No we just need to get used to recruiting talented players and not getting hurt when they leave. 

Gonzaga for instance they are being led by their PG that will go after this year.

I don't know what's up with our fan base and talented players, it's the same with football as well.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

My point being that when kids can go from high school to the NBA you'll still have your 1 or 2 & dones as it will be the next tier of guys doing it.

That's true but at least 2 years would provide more stability for the program and for the fans that support their teams. 

12 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Very happy for cooper

very sad as an AU fan

year after year first rounders - yeah that be goooooooood!  We movin on up!

2 hours ago, toddc said:

who’s in the NBA

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

No we just need to get used to recruiting talented players and not getting hurt when they leave. 

Gonzaga for instance they are being led by their PG that will go after this year.

I don't know what's up with our fan base and talented players, it's the same with football as well.

Humor? Sarcasm?

look up a few posts and you’ll see I point out this is a good thing although selfishly I’m partly bummed ...

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

Neither I or TT went after the players. The players aren't at fault for taking advantage of existing rules. Why shouldn't they ? Supporting more stability for college programs and fans does not mean less support for star players. 

Colleges do invest a lot, as do the fans, and the coaches who bust their butts to recruit. Then there are the other players on the team. They deserve support and more stability too. All of those entities should be able to enjoy their efforts for a couple years anyway. College teams aren't there to be NBA farm teams.