Cooper Draft Talk (4/2/21 Update: Enters Draft)

ellitor

When a player puts on that Auburn jersey, I support them whether they are there for one year or for 4. If they are good enough to make it to the next level in one year (or 2), I'm happy for them.

8 hours ago, cole256 said:

No we just need to get used to recruiting talented players and not getting hurt when they leave.

Cole is on target here. I'm happy for Auburn too because other talented players are going to want to come for that same opportunity.  We are seeing that happen now and it's only going to grow because of the success of the guys Bruce has recruited that have moved on to the NBA.

To think the university doesn't recover their investment in a player that's only there for one year is an incorrect view (IMHO). The media attention (publicity and TV money) alone will more than cover any costs for the university. I, like many, have concerns about how the Name, Image, Likeness legislation will impact college sports because the sports are team sports so no one does it completely by themselves but certain positions have much more visibility that more $ will flow that way. However, the argument about colleges (and the NCAA) profiting so much compared to the players has validity. I know some will point out the tuition, housing, food, etc as being what the player gets but the economics don't balance out. If there had been more effort by the NCAA to add reasonable stipends, it might not have ever reached the NLI point.

Lot of uncertainty in college sports moving forward but I will continue my approach of if the player's (and team's) jersey says AU on it, I support. War Eagle!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Neither I or TT went after the players. The players aren't at fault for taking advantage of existing rules. Why shouldn't they ? Supporting more stability for college programs and fans does not mean less support for star players. 

Colleges do invest a lot, as do the fans, and the coaches who bust their butts to recruit. Then there are the other players on the team. They deserve support and more stability too. All of those entities should be able to enjoy their efforts for a couple years anyway. College teams aren't there to be NBA farm teams.  

Nobody was talking to TT so I don't know the point of saying his name.

Fans don't invest anything. Colleges are there to be academic institutions, colleges know they can make ALOT of money from the athletes that represent them so they try to make it. In the grand scheme colleges doesn't need sports......But they are going to use it to make money and for branding. So you saying colleges aren't farms I don't really see what point you are making. 

And it's just weird the way you are talking about the athletes.....everybody should be able to enjoy the talents and services of the athlete? Well ok just like anybody else pay the athlete and enjoy. There are other routes for an athlete to go so it's up to the NCAA to make it very desirable for them to entice the best athletes to come. Colleges aren't the only side investing. And the what they do invest is miniscule as far as what they return.

The here take what we give you while we make money of your image and service is long gone. It's either going to be a partner ship or people will get used to watching college ball talent being a little better than church league. 

7 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Humor? Sarcasm?

look up a few posts and you’ll see I point out this is a good thing although selfishly I’m partly bummed ...

I saw your post. I'm not singling you out, like you said if you read more post I'm speaking on the overall tone. 

Us as a team won't be here forever we'll slowly but surely bring in more talent. I brought up gonzaga to show where we can hopefully get to and they are being led by a freshman PG that will be out of here after this season. But they certainly wouldn't be here without him and anybody would love for him to be on their team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Nobody was talking to TT so I don't know the point of saying his name.

Fans don't invest anything. Colleges are there to be academic institutions, colleges know they can make ALOT of money from the athletes that represent them so they try to make it. In the grand scheme colleges doesn't need sports......But they are going to use it to make money and for branding. So you saying colleges aren't farms I don't really see what point you are making. 

And it's just weird the way you are talking about the athletes.....everybody should be able to enjoy the talents and services of the athlete? Well ok just like anybody else pay the athlete and enjoy. There are other routes for an athlete to go so it's up to the NCAA to make it very desirable for them to entice the best athletes to come. Colleges aren't the only side investing. And the what they do invest is miniscule as far as what they return.

The here take what we give you while we make money of your image and service is long gone. It's either going to be a partner ship or people will get used to watching college ball talent being a little better than church league. 

The point ? TT and I were in agreement, both assumed you were talking about us when you made your earlier post when neither of us were blaming STAR players for leaving. That's the point. It's obvious what NBA farm team means. Some people think that's what it should be. 

You want a system tilted towards the few STAR players, the NBA and by necessity professional sports agents, over all other invested parties. I find that position strange and don't agree with it. I support a system that is tilted more towards the rest of the players on the team, the fans who do invest a lot in their teams, the coaches and the colleges that do the same. I think the 1 year rule hurts that. We don't agree and that's ok. 

16 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

The point ? TT and I were in agreement, both assumed you were talking about us when you made your earlier post when neither of us were blaming STAR players for leaving. That's the point. It's obvious what NBA farm team means. Some people think that's what it should be. 

You want a system tilted towards the few STAR players, the NBA and by necessity professional sports agents, over all other invested parties. I find that position strange and don't agree with it. I support a system that is tilted more towards the rest of the players on the team, the fans who do invest a lot in their teams, the coaches and the colleges that do the same. I think the 1 year rule hurts that. We don't agree and that's ok. 

No I don't want any of the things you just said. What I want is old wealthy people to continue to make money off the backs of other people. Then I don't want people to be upset at the kids or set up blocks to prevent kids for getting money on for their services and likenesses, I think those people should look at the overall system and be upset at the overall system.

You either want sports or you don't but saying the schools aren't farms is just lame to me. That's saying don't come to our school and think we're supposed to help you be a professional, but we'll certainly take all profits you net for us. If the school wasn't profiting off the money generated then I could see and even agree with some of the things you say. But you can't say that and take the money. 

And you keep repeating fans investing so much but I don't see what you mean as far as that. Fans don't invest. Fans are fans.

Edited by cole256

17 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

well this sucks... if we lose Thor, we're going to repeat at the bottom.

good for him though.

What went into being at the bottom was having no mix whatsoever of maturity and age...leadership necessities. Getting more superstar young guys in on top of vets should ensure that doesn’t happen. 

I don’t know why we’re so woe is me as a fan base...if you followed the games, youth clearly was the biggest issue top to bottom. We competed against solid teams where Cooper and Powell wasn’t on the court and JT wasn’t a factor on offense. 

with the conditional that dominos fall as they do, JT’s defense is replaceable and Justin Powell already has his positional replacement on the roster. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

No I don't want any of the things you just said. What I want is old wealthy people to continue to make money off the backs of other people. Then I don't want people to be upset at the kids or set up blocks to prevent kids for getting money on for their services and likenesses, I think those people should look at the overall system and be upset at the overall system.

You either want sports or you don't but saying the schools aren't farms is just lame to me. That's saying don't come to our school and think we're supposed to help you be a professional, but we'll certainly take all profits you net for us. If the school wasn't profiting off the money generated then I could see and even agree with some of the things you say. But you can't say that and take the money. 

And you keep repeating fans investing so much but I don't see what you mean as far as that. Fans don't invest. Fans are fans.

Cole, it's not an either or situation like you think it is. As I have stated in more ways than one, being for one side (colleges, coaches, students, fans, the rest of the players, more stability for college basketball) does not equate to being against the other (the few STAR players). 

Let me address 1 of the interested parties I mentioned, the fans, since you think they don't invest. The college students are fans, fans  who invest both financially (student fees, tickets, travel) and emotionally for their teams. The other fans invest in travel, tickets and lodging to support their team. Still other fans pay cable fees and are responsible for the high ratings on TV that advertisers pay big money to the networks for access, that pay the rights fees to the NCAA, the conferences, schools, that provides the showcase for your STAR players. No fans and the whole thing collapses. Let's move on....

3 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Cole, it's not an either or situation like you think it is. As I have stated in more ways than one, being for one side (colleges, coaches, students, fans, the rest of the players, more stability for college basketball) does not equate to being against the other (the few STAR players). 

Let me address 1 of the interested parties I mentioned, the fans, since you think they don't invest. The college students are fans, fans  who invest both financially (student fees, tickets, travel) and emotionally for their teams. The other fans invest in travel, tickets and lodging to support their team. Still other fans pay cable fees and are responsible for the high ratings on TV that advertisers pay big money to the networks for access, that pay the rights fees to the NCAA, the conferences, schools, that provides the showcase for your STAR players. No fans and the whole thing collapses. Let's move on....

If you don't want to talk about it then don't post. You won't tell me to move on, that's the problem withere you all think your logic can't be challenged. You are the one who literally said you think A and I think B when all the stuff you listed about A isn't even anything I thought. So you are the one who is set on either or. So maybe it's not what YOU think it is.

Unless you lived the life of an athlete on campus I'm the one who is trying to bring to you a perspective you don't know and open your eyes. 

As far as students invest that's part of the entire circle students come to games when their teams are relevant and when they do colleges take in all of that money, and that's the entire point. NONE of it happens without the athletes. 

As a matter of fact you are the only person who even keeps trying to place division when discussing the athletes. You keep mentioning star, even capitalizing it. And they aren't mine, they don't belong to anybody and something else to think about too is they are actually students. They aren't behind glass something to look at. They are the same as the other population of school except people make money off of them while telling them to be happy with the scraps they are given. 

The invest emotionally part is just laughable really, I'd think if we were going to talk emotions common sense would say the athletes themselves are much more invested than anybody else as far as emotions go. 

No fans the whole thing collapses, no athletes and noting even exists. Period. Now if you want to move on you can make a decision within yourself to add logic to your pov or make a decision within yourself that you can't and not post but either way you control yourself but you don't tell other people to stop talking.

I don't know what happened to being able to have a discussion without animosity just because somebody counters what you think. It's not a big deal. If nothing else if what you think is true this just shows you how to better present your opinion or it will show flaws in your opinion. Either way it's a form of improvement if feelings aren't hurt 

Edited by cole256

The player versus school argument is a false argument. If a player decides to leave and try the NBA or go the transfer route they have every right to do it and I support that right just  like I believe a person can look for another job. I almost always wish any player that leaves Auburn the best of luck.  I agree up front that I don't know all that has happened behind the scenes when a player makes a decision. 

That doesn't mean I can't think that some of the decisions are not very wise. To often we forget how important a college education is. I had to work and pay my way through college. I worked at places in Auburn like the Omelet Shoppe as a night cook from 9 PM to 6 AM 6 or 7 days a week but it was worth is because I got my degree. I took a year off to work for a construction company in Gitmo to save money so I could have a few quarters where I didn't have to work full time and could be a regular student. 

To often our conversation are around student athletes who have the potential to go pro and make a living out of the sport but the reality is 95% will never play pro ball.  There are some key reasons for them playing love of the game. a college education and the college experience. 

Many of these players would not have had a chance for a college education without the scholarship and the long term value that scholarship provides  .As a fan I love watching and supporting bot the student athletes and my school. 

The real issue is what money has done to what used to be amateur sport

• Like 1

How much do we think suggs has made gonzaga this year? Anybody think just 200,000 or so? I bet in the millions

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

How much do we think suggs has made gonzaga this year? Anybody think just 200,000 or so? I bet in the millions

After that shot, I will say it will reach 10m by March 5 years from now 

Think supercharged Kris Jenkins. How many times has that shot got replayed? Now imagine if they win the natty...the face/highest pick for an undefeated team that’s the best statistically in the modern era. They’ll at least get 10m from his likeness in the next decade or so 

32 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

After that shot, I will say it will reach 10m by March 5 years from now 

Think supercharged Kris Jenkins. How many times has that shot got replayed? Now imagine if they win the natty...the face/highest pick for an undefeated team that’s the best statistically in the modern era. They’ll at least get 10m from his likeness in the next decade or so 

Exactly. Think about how the fab5 changed basketball, or even what Chris Porter did for our program when we had that boost in basketball and were selling out every game while being a top 10 team.....to not want to discuss that or pretty much say shut up and play. Or better yet shut up and play a couple of years because you owe the school is ridiculous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Exactly. Think about how the fab5 changed basketball, or even what Chris Porter did for our program when we had that boost in basketball and were selling out every game while being a top 10 team.....to not want to discuss that or pretty much say shut up and play. Or better yet shut up and play a couple of years because you owe the school is ridiculous.

I certainly haven't given a Barbara Walters interview to anyone here, but if you (the general you) actually sit down and talk to a student-athlete, their life isn't glitz and glamour by any means. They stay in this dorm called South Donahue, and they're less than 50% of those that live there. The other 50% are, for the most part, some of the richest and most spoiled "kids" in this state. Folks that'll leave their trash in the hallway, expecting it to be picked up. That's the reminder about how the type of people that they'd normally never live in the same surroundings with if it wasn't for their talent. None of those athletes fell into that position, and if they don't capitalize on their value, they'll never be in that position again.

No athlete should ever feel like he owes a college anything, because they simply don't. Even the worst football player on the roster has put in more bone bruising work than many of their peers who share similar amenities. While I'm snitching out the system, many of those super rich children living in that dorm just pay for their papers or assignments they don't want to get done. So it's not like there's some huge academic disparity between them and the athletes either.

I don't want to keep droning on, but having a conversation with a student athlete, or simply looking at how they live with open eyes, will give a far better experience than listening to Mark Emmert or Fox Sports 1

On 4/3/2021 at 6:54 PM, cole256 said:

If you don't want to talk about it then don't post. You won't tell me to move on, that's the problem withere you all think your logic can't be challenged. You are the one who literally said you think A and I think B when all the stuff you listed about A isn't even anything I thought. So you are the one who is set on either or. So maybe it's not what YOU think it is.

Unless you lived the life of an athlete on campus I'm the one who is trying to bring to you a perspective you don't know and open your eyes. 

As far as students invest that's part of the entire circle students come to games when their teams are relevant and when they do colleges take in all of that money, and that's the entire point. NONE of it happens without the athletes. 

As a matter of fact you are the only person who even keeps trying to place division when discussing the athletes. You keep mentioning star, even capitalizing it. And they aren't mine, they don't belong to anybody and something else to think about too is they are actually students. They aren't behind glass something to look at. They are the same as the other population of school except people make money off of them while telling them to be happy with the scraps they are given. 

The invest emotionally part is just laughable really, I'd think if we were going to talk emotions common sense would say the athletes themselves are much more invested than anybody else as far as emotions go. 

No fans the whole thing collapses, no athletes and noting even exists. Period. Now if you want to move on you can make a decision within yourself to add logic to your pov or make a decision within yourself that you can't and not post but either way you control yourself but you don't tell other people to stop talking.

I don't know what happened to being able to have a discussion without animosity just because somebody counters what you think. It's not a big deal. If nothing else if what you think is true this just shows you how to better present your opinion or it will show flaws in your opinion. Either way it's a form of improvement if feelings aren't hurt 

Let me address just your first two sentences because they are a microcosm of the rest of your lengthy post. Those sentences don't make any sense since the exact opposite is true. First, if I didn't want to post I wouldn't have. The truth is, I posted about it several times to you and was more than willing to "talk about it". 

Second, nobody "told you" to move on, if I had wanted to do that I would have and will. The truth is, I suggested "let's move on". You can do whatever you want. But there is a point where your discussions tend to become somewhat nonsensical, argumentative and redundant. That point was reached and it's time to move on. I intend to do just that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Let me address just your first two sentences because they are a microcosm of the rest of your lengthy post. Those sentences don't make any sense since the exact opposite is true. First, if I didn't want to post I wouldn't have. The truth is, I posted about it several times to you and was more than willing to "talk about it". 

Second, nobody "told you" to move on, if I had wanted to do that I would have and will. The truth is, I suggested "let's move on". You can do whatever you want. But there is a point where your discussions tend to become somewhat nonsensical, argumentative and redundant. That point was reached and it's time to move on. I intend to do just that.

Ok cool. You don't really have anything to offer but it this way because I said so and if you reply to something other than what I think you're argumentative. 

Gotcha. That's fine. Stop the other bull and just be honest

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I certainly haven't given a Barbara Walters interview to anyone here, but if you (the general you) actually sit down and talk to a student-athlete, their life isn't glitz and glamour by any means. They stay in this dorm called South Donahue, and they're less than 50% of those that live there. The other 50% are, for the most part, some of the richest and most spoiled "kids" in this state. Folks that'll leave their trash in the hallway, expecting it to be picked up. That's the reminder about how the type of people that they'd normally never live in the same surroundings with if it wasn't for their talent. None of those athletes fell into that position, and if they don't capitalize on their value, they'll never be in that position again.

No athlete should ever feel like he owes a college anything, because they simply don't. Even the worst football player on the roster has put in more bone bruising work than many of their peers who share similar amenities. While I'm snitching out the system, many of those super rich children living in that dorm just pay for their papers or assignments they don't want to get done. So it's not like there's some huge academic disparity between them and the athletes either.

I don't want to keep droning on, but having a conversation with a student athlete, or simply looking at how they live with open eyes, will give a far better experience than listening to Mark Emmert or Fox Sports 1

Absolutely. But that would really upset some people. It goes against the athlete has it easy and everything is handed to them theory. 

And then it will oppose the everybody else are students that work so hard and bust their butts theory. That always makes me laugh a bit. I must have went to a different Auburn. 

It would be awesome if someone actually did a credible report and show reality though.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, JKClark said:

Don't feel bad....almost every cole256 "conversation" ends this way.

Lol still hurt

9 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

@ellitor I already did....8 hours before your post.  ;) 

@IronMan70 The most recent post before my post was still y’all arguing so it still warranted the post.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

@IronMan70 The most recent post before my post was still y’all arguing so it still warranted the post.

@ellitor It was already over E. The last 2 sentences of my post, 8 hours before yours and "the most recent" at that time, made it clear. It was over then and it's over now. You probably just missed it. I even gave you a wink in case you had. PM me if you want.

2 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

@ellitor It was already over E. The last 2 sentences of my post, 8 hours before yours and "the most recent" at that time, made it clear. It was over then and it's over now. You probably just missed it. I even gave you a wink in case you had. PM me if you want.

Your good. No need to PM. I just looked at the beginnings of y'all's post & saw there was still a back & forth argument going on in those parts so I made my post. No biggie.

• Like 1

Back to Sharife - today’s CBS/BR mock draft has him at #30. Will be really disappointing if he falls out of the first round. 

Davion Mitchell up to #7 after his tournament run. There’s a blueprint there that could be copied...I kid. Sort of. 

JT is not listed in either round.