Alabama vs Auburn Game 3

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

Another point regarding the game was that a dropped pop fly by our catcher would have represented the 3rd out in the 5th inning prior to the 3 run home run.  When that happened I had a bad feeling.  Those plays can be difficult for a catcher.

I thought we got out of that inning? Maybe not. There was also a mis-played easy fly ball to center field and maybe that's the inning we got out of without damage. In any case, we gave them two extra chances on what should have been routine outs.

Mikey is right on this one.  Maddie Morgan was the batter who hit the pop fly that Godwin dropped.  She bats 6th, I believe.  She did subsequently single, but we got out of that inning without damage.  Hemphill and Tow scored on Dowling's homer. 

3 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Another point regarding the game was that a dropped pop fly by our catcher would have represented the 3rd out in the 5th inning prior to the 3 run home run.  When that happened I had a bad feeling.  Those plays can be difficult for a catcher.

When you don't make the out in that situation either behind the plate or in foul territory when given the opportunity it will come back to haunt you....

3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Mikey is right on this one.  Maddie Morgan was the batter who hit the pop fly that Godwin dropped.  She bats 6th, I believe.  She did subsequently single, but we got out of that inning without damage.  Hemphill and Tow scored on Dowling's homer. 

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I thought we got out of that inning? Maybe not. There was also a mis-played easy fly ball to center field and maybe that's the inning we got out of without damage. In any case, we gave them two extra chances on what should have been routine outs.

I was mistaken, the drop was in the non-scoring top of the 4th.  In the 5th we did have an off line throw from CF to 3rd base which may have ended the inning prior to the HR.  Looked like we had a good chance to get the runner at 3rd.  What ever....sour grapes...water over the dam.  We had a couple of flubs but one play that was heads up was when Tyler King came out of LF to cover 3rd and prevented a Bama runner from advancing from 2nd on a great bunt by the Bama hitter.  Garcia made a good play on a pop up bunt.  

On 3/14/2021 at 11:11 PM, AU1947 said:

Was I the only one that saw Penta's "you have got to be F........g kidding me" comment right before she got.pulled. the commentators commented on it as well. That was embarrassing...

Saw it too, I was hoping she got pulled then. She lost all composure. 

21 hours ago, slot canyon said:

I was mistaken, the drop was in the non-scoring top of the 4th.  In the 5th we did have an off line throw from CF to 3rd base which may have ended the inning prior to the HR.  Looked like we had a good chance to get the runner at 3rd.  What ever....sour grapes...water over the dam.  We had a couple of flubs but one play that was heads up was when Tyler King came out of LF to cover 3rd and prevented a Bama runner from advancing from 2nd on a great bunt by the Bama hitter.  Garcia made a good play on a pop up bunt.  

Yes we could have gotten her. Hemphill was running. That was the source of my comments earlier that erratic throws are a problem right now, with exception of Schmidt. She’s thrown some lasers this year. 

31 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

It was when CMD called time from what the announcers were saying...

19 minutes ago, AU1947 said:

It was when CMD called time from what the announcers were saying...

If she is a competitor, I don't mind the aggressive talk, but once she gave up a 3 run HR and then a walk, even in most situations baseball/softball, that usually calls for a change of pitcher. Dean gave her a chance to get out of the inning after the HR, so he gave her 1 more batter. Had Dean gone out for a pitcher meeting prior to that? Penta may have been shocked she was coming out without even at least a prior coaches visit. 

28 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If she is a competitor, I don't mind the aggressive talk, but once she gave up a 3 run HR and then a walk, even in most situations baseball/softball, that usually calls for a change of pitcher. Dean gave her a chance to get out of the inning after the HR, so he gave her 1 more batter. Had Dean gone out for a pitcher meeting prior to that? Penta may have been shocked she was coming out without even at least a prior coaches visit. 

I too love the competitive nature but show some class. Regardless of how or why..  at the end of the day on National TV that was embarrassing to see from any member of our Lady Tigers. JMO

Well one player is quickly becoming my favorite.  Lindsey Garcia hustles.  She's had a few errors at third, but she gives everything she has and I respect that.  On Saturday, she dove for a pop up bunt and it tipped off her glove into foul territory, which hurt us.  On Sunday, the same exact scenario happened and this time she caught the ball.  Hustle.  Over the weekend she beat out at least 2 ground balls hit to the left side for infield hits, which is rare for a right handed batter.  That's just pure "want to" and I love seeing that kind of effort from any player.

I know we keep focusing on how young our team is and how our first year players just need to continue developing and growing. I agree with that thought process. However, even with the Senior level players that start for uat, I think they start about 7 seniors, the leader in home runs and rbi's for them is the freshmen starting at second base. I know we've recruited more power in our young players, but at some point they too need to begin hitting with power as the uat freshmen playing second base and batting 4th in their lineup.

On 3/16/2021 at 10:15 AM, AUBwins said:

She's a freshman, she'll learn :)

On 3/14/2021 at 7:40 PM, tigerman1186 said:

Women's tennis won last week....but it was a good weekend for bama....BB championship...swept us in softball....won a series in baseball and Justin Thomas won The Players....as for softball, we need some heavy body hitters like they do...I feel good with our pitching staff....experience will make them better and with a lot of freshman, I see us being better next year...

Glad Auburn finally beat Bama in at least one sport this year!

Archived