Cocktails

McLoofus

So I've gotten a little more into cocktails this last year. Typically, I've been of the mind that bourbon rocks is one ingredient too many, but I've had more time, Mrs. Loof has enjoyed letting me experiment with new flavors, I've built up my bar to where I might actually have that obscure liqueur on hand already, etc. Anyone else ever dabble in mixology?

Mainly I'm starting the thread b/c 1) there isn't one already, 2) I finally made something new last night that felt like a legit, kick ass cocktail that snobs and noobs alike would enjoy, and 3) the secret ingredient is Tabasco Raspberry Chipotle hot sauce, which @Tiger Refuge very kindly turned me on to and hooked me up with. I've got to give Mrs. Loof credit on that. The base recipe that I riffed off of called for regular Tabasco, but I wasn't feeling that. She suggested the raspberry chipotle sauce- which we hadn't used in months- to play up the sweetness and the smoke (I'm adding a splash of mezcal to everything these days) without adding too much heat. Farking brilliant. 

I took this guy and subbed a rew things and added another thing. The color really is gorgeous. Unfortunately, it does call for some of those niche ingredients I referenced. But if you don't have them already, you'll find them useful in all kinda of things. 

El Chipilo Cocktail Recipe

★★★★★

AUTHOR: SHAWN WILLIAMS

A spicy Italian twist on a tequila cocktail. Picture a tangy margarita with a touch of heat, orange, and bitters.

1 1/2 ounces reposado tequila

3/4 ounce fresh lime lemon* juice 

1/2 ounce aperol

1/2 ounce ea simple syrup dry curacao and orgeat

2 dashes angostura bitters

Splash mezcal

1–2 dashes Tabasco Raspberry Chipotle (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a Boston shaker with a cup of ice. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds and strain into a double old fashioned glass over fresh ice. Garnish with lime lemon* wheel.

*Only because I was out of limes

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So I've gotten a little more into cocktails this last year. Typically, I've been of the mind that bourbon rocks is one ingredient too many, but I've had more time, Mrs. Loof has enjoyed letting me experiment with new flavors, I've built up my bar to where I might actually have that obscure liqueur on hand already, etc. Anyone else ever dabble in mixology?

Mainly I'm starting the thread b/c 1) there isn't one already, 2) I finally made something new last night that felt like a legit, kick ass cocktail that snobs and noobs alike would enjoy, and 3) the secret ingredient is Tabasco Raspberry Chipotle hot sauce, which @Tiger Refuge very kindly turned me on to and hooked me up with. I've got to give Mrs. Loof credit on that. The base recipe that I riffed off of called for regular Tabasco, but I wasn't feeling that. She suggested the raspberry chipotle sauce- which we hadn't used in months- to play up the sweetness and the smoke (I'm adding a splash of mezcal to everything these days) without adding too much heat. Farking brilliant. 

I took this guy and subbed a rew things and added another thing. The color really is gorgeous. Unfortunately, it does call for some of those niche ingredients I referenced. But if you don't have them already, you'll find them useful in all kinda of things. 

El Chipilo Cocktail Recipe

★★★★★

AUTHOR: SHAWN WILLIAMS

A spicy Italian twist on a tequila cocktail. Picture a tangy margarita with a touch of heat, orange, and bitters.

1 1/2 ounces reposado tequila

3/4 ounce fresh lime lemon* juice 

1/2 ounce aperol

1/2 ounce ea simple syrup dry curacao and orgeat

2 dashes angostura bitters

Splash mezcal

1–2 dashes Tabasco Raspberry Chipotle (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a Boston shaker with a cup of ice. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds and strain into a double old fashioned glass over fresh ice. Garnish with lime lemon* wheel.

*Only because I was out of limes

Damn that sounds tasty! Great call on the hot sauce there...I imagine it was the perfect substitute! A little heat and a ton of flavor!

*edit. Why do I use so many exclamation points?!

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Haha 2

Spicy Mezcal based cocktails are my all time go-to. If the bar has a bartender worth a lick, he or she should be able to make it up as they go along if there’s nothing on the menu. 

Alchemy does this for me whenever I go. @Tiger Refuge, I believe I’ve told you to check this place out when you’re in town for the St. Jude. 

https://alchemymemphis.com

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

My second favorite cocktails are gin based. I don’t drink gin often on its own, but a good gin cocktail hits the spot on a hot Summer day. 

I should drink more gin cocktails. You’re right, on a summer day, they are hard to beat.

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Spicy Mezcal based cocktails are my all time go-to. If the bar has a bartender worth a lick, he or she should be able to make it up as they go along if there’s nothing on the menu. 

Alchemy does this for me whenever I go. @Tiger Refuge, I believe I’ve told you to check this place out when you’re in town for the St. Jude. 

Just signed up for the race today! December 5. I can’t freaking wait!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

1. When I'm at a serious cocktail bar, I like to ask the bartender if there's anything they really like making, whether it's on the list or not. Sometimes I ask that even at less serious bars, because sometimes it strokes their ego and their less-than-amazing drink might at least be a little extra strong.

2. Note to self: If in Memphis and wanting to impress my date, check out Alchemy. 

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

My second favorite cocktails are gin based. I don’t drink gin often on its own, but a good gin cocktail hits the spot on a hot Summer day. 

Negronis are our favorite cocktail. They definitely lean sweet on a really hot day, but are otherwise plenty refreshing and just a perfect anytime, every occasion drink. And nothing fussy about making them. 

I try to stay away from martinis unless I know there's a hard cap on one of them. I get filthy in a hurry on those. Oddly, though, I can drink a good gin on the rocks much more patiently and contemplatively. 

Gin, St. Germain and grapefruit makes for a great summer sipper. Reminds me of a really dry IPA, actually. 

Aperol, St. Germain and lime juice makes for a tasty,attractive, and lower alcohol summer cocktail. I have to admit though, I’m a simple guy. Mezcal and grapefruit juice or a really good gin and tonic does me just fine in hot weather; if I want something besides just a neat whiskey in colder weather I love a good Manhattan but with about half of the typical vermouth called for and it must have a Luxardo cherry in it (not one of those fake red things). I have yet to find a bar that makes a Manhattan correctly I think. I also like a well made Old Fashioned. Most drinks at bars tend to be too sweet for my taste. And, I’m with you @McLoofus: a good dirty martini with a film of ice on top is pretty damn good but one is all I need (and, 90 % of the time, I forget that).

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, fredst said:

Aperol, St. Germain and lime juice makes for a tasty,attractive, and lower alcohol summer cocktail. I have to admit though, I’m a simple guy. Mezcal and grapefruit juice or a really good gin and tonic does me just fine in hot weather; if I want something besides just a neat whiskey in colder weather I love a good Manhattan but with about half of the typical vermouth called for and it must have a Luxardo cherry in it (not one of those fake red things). I have yet to find a bar that makes a Manhattan correctly I think. I also like a well made Old Fashioned. Most drinks at bars tend to be too sweet for my taste. And, I’m with you @McLoofus: a good dirty martini with a film of ice on top is pretty damn good but one is all I need (and, 90 % of the time, I forget that).

Filthy martinis get me ******* going. That’s become my DOC for normal restaurants. Ketel or Goose. **** Tito’s sorry not sorry. 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, fredst said:

Aperol, St. Germain and lime juice makes for a tasty,attractive, and lower alcohol summer cocktail. I have to admit though, I’m a simple guy. Mezcal and grapefruit juice or a really good

I love that you said "attractive" because I'm realizing what a beautiful color Aperol gives to any drink you put it in. Last night I just went grapefruit sparkling water (Bubly), tequila (reposado), Aperol, and grapefruit juice (100%- zero sugar). Gorgeous, dry, refreshing, and the Aperol gave it all the sweet it needed. 

St. Germain needs to be the next liqueur I add to my bar. I'm getting pretty close to filling it out.

I also like a well made Old Fashioned. Most drinks at bars tend to be too sweet for my taste.

A billion percent this.

(and, 90 % of the time, I forget that).

You are my brother and my friend. 

• Love 2

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

St. Germain needs to be the next liqueur I add to my bar. I'm getting pretty close to filling it out.

Yes. Lots of good warm weather cocktails. Serve that Aperol/St. Germain/lime juice with a sprig of Rosemary to guests at a summer dinner party. They’ll love it

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yes. Lots of good warm weather cocktails. Serve that Aperol/St. Germain/lime juice with a sprig of Rosemary to guests at a summer dinner party. They’ll love it

Probably won't even wait til summer to sling one of those at Mrs. Loof. Soooooo right up her alley.  I mean, let's be honest. Putting any fresh herb into any cocktail as a garnish is going to increase your chances of landing the plane by a minimum of 33%. Hell, it's a shot of dopamine for me, too. 

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2021 at 7:30 AM, McLoofus said:

Probably won't even wait til summer to sling one of those at Mrs. Loof. Soooooo right up her alley.  I mean, let's be honest. Putting any fresh herb into any cocktail as a garnish is going to increase your chances of landing the plane by a minimum of 33%. Hell, it's a shot of dopamine for me, too. 

7AEFF45D-C060-4A55-BC7A-669EE8E7A364.gif

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

Man, am I ever learnin some stuff up in here!

Bet you could do some teaching, too!

We've got a trip to Disney scheduled for the fall. We have some resort and park credits via the inlaws + a long, boring story, so we're going to use the power up to splurge on the Polynesian resort. Both kids are super into Moana and WD is using the pandemic to update some of their properties, to include redoing the Polynesian in a Moana theme. Both kids' birthdays are in November and we're going to do the full surprise Disney trip thing where we don't tell them until we get in the car to head down there. ANYWAY, there's a legit tiki bar in the resort and I'm so freaking stoked to belly up to some  mai tais and zombies and jet pilots after the kids go to bed. 

On 3/19/2021 at 6:42 AM, fredst said:

My neighbor recently made me a Penicillin. Scotch with ginger syrup. It sounded gross when he offered it but it was actually pretty good on a cold night. Worth trying. 
https://www.liquor.com/recipes/penicillin/

Do you remember what kind of scotch was in it? I'd be tempted to try it with an Islay blend. 

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Do you remember what kind of scotch was in it? I'd be tempted to try it with an Islay blend. 

Not certain but I will ask. Definitely topped with quarter cask Laphroaig

• Love 1

39 minutes ago, fredst said:

Not certain but I will ask. Definitely topped with quarter cask Laphroaig

Had some of the Laphroaig 10 the other night. Was hoping for Lagavulin; alas, it was not meant to be. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 8:59 PM, fredst said:

Anyone had the Tanqueray Rangpur gin? Curious of opinions if you have. I think that its pretty tasty, nice and citrusy...

I have not, but I'm trying to explore gin a little more. In fact, I recently switched from Beefeater to Tanqueray for my negronis. WHOA BIG MOVE LOOF.

A buddy suggested the St. George Terroir for sipping but I don't love it. (Ended up putting that in my negronis, too...) Still looking for a gin that I completely love on the rocks, maybe with a lemon twist. Honestly, I'm still a fan of Bombay Sapphire for that. 

You've certainly piqued my interest with this mention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I have not, but I'm trying to explore gin a little more. In fact, I recently switched from Beefeater to Tanqueray for my negronis. WHOA BIG MOVE LOOF.

A buddy suggested the St. George Terroir for sipping but I don't love it. (Ended up putting that in my negronis, too...) Still looking for a gin that I completely love on the rocks, maybe with a lemon twist. Honestly, I'm still a fan of Bombay Sapphire for that. 

You've certainly piqued my interest with this mention.

Try it and let me know what you think. It’s made with some lime in it but has other citrus flavors too. It may be low brow but me likey 

• Like 1