Cocktails

McLoofus

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

Try it and let me know what you think. It’s made with some lime in it but has other citrus flavors too. It may be low brow but me likey 

I'm starting to think maybe gin isn't supposed to be high brow.

There's some stuff out of Charleston called Bull Rush that I thought was fantastic on the rocks. Need to revisit, though. I have a habit of being surprised at how good things are the first time I try them and mistaking that thought for them actually being great. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wasn’t sure where to put this so I’ll leave it here. Wife-st and I donated a dinner at our home for a local charity of which one of our best friends is director. Dinner for 8, nice group of young couples. Patterned it a little after a dinner we had at “Mexico” in Epcot. They were all tequila naifs which made it lower pressure. If I was doing for more tequila savvy folks I would get a different blanco and anejo although the ones served were pretty good IMO. Here’s the menu:

41095494-6450-4B8A-AFC2-E9286D1C2033.jpeg

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, fredst said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this

Probably a good move to not start a "your favorite amazing dinner with amazing beer, wine or spirits pairings for each course that you donated to good causes" thread. 

Damn, brother. The naifs get Don Julio? What do the pros get??? Great work and I'm sure the recipients thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Curious about the El Tesoro. I was a steady consumer of their anejo years ago. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Probably a good move to not start a "your favorite amazing dinner with amazing beer, wine or spirits pairings for each course that you donated to good causes" thread. 

Damn, brother. The naifs get Don Julio? What do the pros get??? Great work and I'm sure the recipients thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Curious about the El Tesoro. I was a steady consumer of their anejo years ago. 

😄

It was a very good reposado I thought. That mezcal= 🔥. The anejo was short on the finish but incredible nose- smelled like a crushed vanilla bean (hate to support George Clooney but the anejo was a worthwhile sip).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

😄

It was a very good reposado I thought. That mezcal= 🔥. The anejo was short on the finish but incredible nose- smelled like a crushed vanilla bean (hate to support George Clooney but the anejo was a worthwhile sip).

Yeah, the celebrity spirits thing is frustrating. In most cases the product actually is quite good and the people who actually make the stuff are making wayyyyyy more money than they would have previously, but it's like, damn, do I really want any of my booze budget to go to Sammy Hagar???

I would love to try some of Sam Neill's wines. 

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oaxaca Old Fashioned tonight. Pretty tasty summer cocktail: 1.5 oz reposado, 0.5 oz mezcal, tsp agave syrup, two dash Angostura bitters, orange twist. Tasty….

• Love 1

14 hours ago, fredst said:

Oaxaca Old Fashioned tonight. Pretty tasty summer cocktail: 1.5 oz reposado, 0.5 oz mezcal, tsp agave syrup, two dash Angostura bitters, orange twist. Tasty….

I can taste it just reading the recipe. YES.

Edit: Also, I just picked up a bottle of Corazon Reposado aged in Eagle Rare barrels. How's that for serendipity. 

Edited by McLoofus

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Edit: Also, I just picked up a bottle of Corazon Reposado aged in Eagle Rare barrels. How's that for serendipity.

So jelly....

Just now, fredst said:

So jelly....

Eh, it's fine. I might actually try it with a cube next time. Normally I just sip tequila at room temp but this stuff could maybe do with some cooling and maybe even a slight dilution. It *definitely* makes sense in that cocktail, though.