Calvin Jackson has died

WarEagle1982

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/03/former-auburn-nfl-cornerback-calvin-jackson-dead-at-age-48.html

PLEASE include at least a portion of the article and not just a link.

Former Miami Dolphins and Auburn defensive back Calvin Jackson has died. The South Florida Sun Sentinel reported on Monday the 48-year-old died after an illness.

Jackson’s big moment at Auburn came in a 38-35 victory over fourth-ranked Florida in the seventh game of the Tigers’ undefeated 1993 season. Jackson intercepted Florida quarterback Danny Wuerffel with Auburn trailing 10-0 in the first quarter and returned it 96 yards for a touchdown. At the time, Jackson’s interception return was the second-longest in Auburn history behind a 98-yarder by John Liptak against Georgia on Nov. 15, 1947.

I heard about it earlier today. So sad.  His pick six against Florida in 93 is one of the all time Auburn football plays.  Got his family in my prayers.

34 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Refuse to click on al.com link, so is there info in the article about what happened?

Former Auburn, NFL cornerback Calvin Jackson dead at 48

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

5-6 minutes

Former Miami Dolphins and Auburn defensive back Calvin Jackson has died. The South Florida Sun Sentinel reported on Monday the 48-year-old died after an illness.

Jackson’s big moment at Auburn came in a 38-35 victory over fourth-ranked Florida in the seventh game of the Tigers’ undefeated 1993 season. Jackson intercepted Florida quarterback Danny Wuerffel with Auburn trailing 10-0 in the first quarter and returned it 96 yards for a touchdown. At the time, Jackson’s interception return was the second-longest in Auburn history behind a 98-yarder by John Liptak against Georgia on Nov. 15, 1947.

Jackson entered the NFL undrafted after declaring for the Supplemental Draft following two seasons at Auburn. Jackson has said he “didn’t take care of my business” after the 1993 season and was tired of butting heads with coach Terry Bowden.

“With coach (Pat) Dye, I was like one of his favorite players, so I got in trouble and my trouble used to be to get in his office, and me and him would talk football,” Jackson said during an appearance on the Miami Dolphins podcast “The Fish Tank” in 2019. “When Terry got there, I was a permanent fixture of the 5 a.m. crew. It had got so bad that the stuff that they had me doing for punishment, I didn’t even consider it punishment no more. It didn’t bother me, so I would still do the stuff that I was told not to do, and I’d go knock out the stadiums – like the other guys would get in trouble. They’d come and they’re about to die; I’m finished in 30 minutes.

“But it’s so crazy. That prepared me. All that trouble, I was in the best shape of my life. I never got tired. … Our weight-training coach started making up (expletive) for me to do. It got that bad because the other stuff didn’t bother me.”

Jackson had been one of Auburn’s Dillard Five – five players from Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, with Jackson, James Bostic, Brian Robinson and Frank Sanders following Otis Mounds to the Plains.

Jackson said he had four NFL teams interested in him as a rookie free agent, and he picked Miami because it was closest to Fort Lauderdale, so if he didn’t make the roster, he would have an easier time getting home.

Jackson played during the final two seasons of Don Shula’s tenure as the Dolphins’ coach and was a starter during all four seasons of Jimmy Johnson’s stay as Miami’s coach.

Jackson started two seasons at cornerback and two at strong safety.

Jackson had four interceptions in 75 NFL games, including one that he returned 61 yards for a touchdown in a 24-17 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Nov. 25, 1996.

Jackson also played in six playoff games and had an interception in his final NFL appearance on Jan. 15, 2000, in a 62-7 second-round loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

After a year out of football, Jackson returned for the only season of the first incarnation of the XFL in 2001. Back in Alabama with the Birmingham Thunderbolts, Jackson started nine of the team’s 10 games and had an interception.

After his pro career, Jackson coached football in South Florida and started a catering business.

Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.

That's horrible!

9 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I was there for this.  Greatest game I have ever seen.  I would put it over kick 6.  Mainly because I was there live.

28 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I loved watching him play. RIP, CJ

i looked for any sports cards of him and could not find a single one. i bought me a tre mason auto rookie from ebay a few minutes ago for five bucks and shipping. but i hope since he has passed some folks will offer some cards of his. i would sure be honored to have one.............

man he made danny look slower than golf...............

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

I assume you are referring to the game of golf and not our very own "Golf". 😄

• WarTiger changed the title to Calvin Jackson died
22 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

I assume you are referring to the game of golf and not our very own "Golf". 😄

Has to be, those Hoverounds can really move!

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

I was damn fast in my younger years had no problem with coverage as a DB plus I played dirty as hell and proud of it. All 5'10' and 160lbs of me but it was easier to take girls to play golf then to play football.........................

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I was there for this.  Greatest game I have ever seen.  I would put it over kick 6.  Mainly because I was there live.

I was there also.  One of the best games I have ever seen.  It made me rethink my decision to stop buying season tickets.  The undefeated season forced me to buy season tickets again.  I stopped buying the season tickets after the ‘95 season. 

Like several of you, I was there as well. I’ve often told the story of that play and how incredible the stadium was afterwards (and the parties later on). It’s one of my go-to stories when talking AU football. Calvin is an AU legend and will be sorely missed.  

• RunInRed changed the title to Calvin Jackson has died

I remember being upset he couldn’t play in 1994. Grades was what was told then. Now it sounds as if he and Terry butted heads too many times. 

Whatever the case, to have included him in the best Secondary in the nation in 1994 would have been off the charts ridiculous. Still remains the best College Secondary I have ever seen play.  

Hate to hear this. I loved watching that team, and he was awesome. Thoughts are with his family right now.

I owe him some gratitude, as well. Got to share the cover of Inside the Auburn Tigers with him on that interception.

1993.jpg

On 3/15/2021 at 8:54 PM, NoALtiger said:

Like several of you, I was there as well. I’ve often told the story of that play and how incredible the stadium was afterwards (and the parties later on). It’s one of my go-to stories when talking AU football. Calvin is an AU legend and will be sorely missed.  

Was there as well. I remember being sick as a dog sitting in the misting rain contemplating leaving early. Usually never leave an Auburn game early but I really felt bad. So, as I was headed down the ramp I heard the crowd and looked back to watch CJ sprinting down the field for the TD. I turned around and went back to my seat. What a game!

RIP Calvin. 

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

Jumbo Fisher singing the fight song at the 4:30 mark. 

On 3/15/2021 at 5:33 PM, augolf1716 said:

I was damn fast in my younger years had no problem with coverage as a DB plus I played dirty as hell and proud of it. All 5'10' and 160lbs of me but it was easier to take girls to play golf then to play football.........................

“The older we get, the better we were.” 🤣

Archived