Stidham's QB coach opines on his struggles in New England

Timbeaux38

Is there anyway we can ban the Gus is in your mind phrase? That would take all of the Gus rebuttal away anytime somebody mentions him

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Is there anyway we can ban the Gus is in your mind phrase? That would take all of the Gus rebuttal away anytime somebody mentions him

Just ban Gus fans 

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Just ban Gus fans 

What's funny is that a few of them have been banned. One of them was allowed back. Another is banned from certain forums...

On average, the self-righteous, old school, holier-than-thou set seems to struggle with decency and civil debate on a football forum. Imagine that. 

As for how this topic is relevant to Auburn football in 2021, it has everything to do with gauging our quarterback and the hiring of this head coach. 

23 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Funny that the guy says Briles offense didn't equate to the NFL for a QB, but that Malzahn's was even worse for a QB to prepare to be an NFL QB...

With Stidham, I think it still will take more what abilities Stidham already had( Not counting his learning curve under Malzahn), to be a starter in the NFL. There are plenty of QBs in college who play in more similar NFL offenses, that still don't make it in the NFL. 

He's got 2 more years to figure it out, and then he's got to be cut or some other team will need to take a chance on him as a FA. He could go the route like AJ McCarron who now is on his 3rd or 4th team...

I read somewhere Briles offense was very simple. Some plays were designed to throw the ball to one receiver, with no reads at all. The other three WRs ran routes designed to pull the defenders away from the target. Sometimes the receivers to the opposite side did not run a real route, the just jogged few paces down the field, the idea being not to wind them in a HUNH offense.

There is nothing wrong with simplicity when it works. The problem comes in when there is not novelty or superior talent compared to the other team.

Just for the record and some slow learners here,,,,,I am not a Gus fan per se. I was as pleased as anyone when he was fired. I just don't hate him as a person but do wish him well. Based on posts here there are several sanctimonious posters I don't like. But I don't wish them ill will in any way. If fact, based on past experience it is likely we would be fine meeting in person.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

What's funny is that a few of them have been banned. One of them was allowed back. Another is banned from certain forums...

On average, the self-righteous, old school, holier-than-thou set seems to struggle with decency and civil debate on a football forum. Imagine that. 

As for how this topic is relevant to Auburn football in 2021, it has everything to do with gauging our quarterback and the hiring of this head coach. 

Lol the funny thing about this post is if you dislike it, you're literally saying yeah that's me, 🙋🏾

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Just for the record and some slow learners here,,,,,I am not a Gus fan per se. I was as pleased as anyone when he was fired. I just don't hate him as a person but do wish him well. Based on posts here there are several sanctimonious posters I don't like. But I don't wish them ill will in any way. If fact, based on past experience it is likely we would be fine meeting in person.

I would also add to the mention of posters being banned that one of the nicest, long term members of the board and a current mod is banned from the Political Forums.

Malzahn's system sucked for our NFL pipeline, no doubt.

I'd like to point out to this QB coach, though, the system has nothing to do with your boy being petrified of contact. Maybe worry about that.

Stidham transferred into and left Auburn with fundamentals he used selectively and that's as much on him as anybody. Watch him go into a fetal position vs mighty Tenn, and his 11 "sacks" vs Clemson. At Baylor he showed he could throw the ball away to avoid losses yet against Clemson, he constantly ran out of bounds unnecessarily for huge losses...i.e. sacks. At some point you have to say the guy had potential but not a professional, prepared approach.

On 3/17/2021 at 10:44 AM, steeleagle said:

Funny that the guy says Briles offense didn't equate to the NFL for a QB, but that Malzahn's was even worse for a QB to prepare to be an NFL QB...

With Stidham, I think it still will take more what abilities Stidham already had( Not counting his learning curve under Malzahn), to be a starter in the NFL. There are plenty of QBs in college who play in more similar NFL offenses, that still don't make it in the NFL. 

He's got 2 more years to figure it out, and then he's got to be cut or some other team will need to take a chance on him as a FA. He could go the route like AJ McCarron who now is on his 3rd or 4th team...

And that's not the end of the world.  McCarron has made a lot of money being a second string QB for a bunch of teams.  If he's smart he will end up retiring in his mid-30's with several million dollars in the bank and very little wear and tear on his body.  If he's really smart (and is so inclined) he uses the time to pick the brains of his coaches and learn that side of the football business.  Not a bad deal.

37 minutes ago, hqsi99 said:

And that's not the end of the world.  McCarron has made a lot of money being a second string QB for a bunch of teams.  If he's smart he will end up retiring in his mid-30's with several million dollars in the bank and very little wear and tear on his body.  If he's really smart (and is so inclined) he uses the time to pick the brains of his coaches and learn that side of the football business.  Not a bad deal.

I would give anything to be a quality backup QB in the NFL, for all the reasons you said. 

Dude can probably even have a dinner out in peace, and no doubt afford to do it whenever he wants. 

Money, health, connections... what a gig!

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would give anything to be a quality backup QB in the NFL, for all the reasons you said. 

Dude can probably even have a dinner out in peace, and no doubt afford to do it whenever he wants. 

Money, health, connections... what a gig!

That's a really good point. 

I'm telling my kids to specialize in long snapping. 

https://overthecap.com/position/long-snapper/

15 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That's a really good point. 

I'm telling my kids to specialize in long snapping. 

https://overthecap.com/position/long-snapper/

I wish I could remember who- I hope they see this- but somebody else and I were talking about this recently. Kroy Crofoot, is that you? 

"I used to preach to our boys and others, who chose to listen, that there is a great opportunity in snapping and holding at the next level because you are working at something others choose not to work at," Kroy said.

"This train of thought came from a comment by Holtz when he said, 'Kroy, there is always a seat on the bus for a long-snapper.'

"From that point on, regardless of what position the boys played, they also learned to become long-snappers and holders."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2009-08-30-0908280197-story.html

1 hour ago, hqsi99 said:

Oh I agree. I remember Charlie Batch who started out with Detroit, then relegated to a backup, and then signed w Pittsburgh and played 8 years only as a backup to Ben and retired w 15 years in the NFL mostly as a backup, but w plenty of money in his future.

I'm just stating how his trajectory as a QB is starting to go at this point, although I would like him to get one last chance to be a starter but it looks like it is going to have to be w someone else. I think NE is setting things up to move up in draft and get one of the better QBs in the 1st round. 

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Oh I agree. I remember Charlie Batch who started out with Detroit, then relegated to a backup, and then signed w Pittsburgh and played 8 years only as a backup to Ben and retired w 15 years in the NFL mostly as a backup, but w plenty of money in his future.

I'm just stating how his trajectory as a QB is starting to go at this point, although I would like him to get one last chance to be a starter but it looks like it is going to have to be w someone else. I think NE is setting things up to move up in draft and get one of the better QBs in the 1st round. 

Jeff Rutledge was in that same category. 13 year NFL career. Attempted 526 passes for 3628 yds over that 13 years. 3 years he had no attempts and another 3 years he has less than 5 attempts. Started a total of 9 games over those years.  Probably made pretty good money for the time (1979 to 1992) and I am sure draws a nice NFL retirement today.

On 3/17/2021 at 8:57 PM, Proud Tiger said:

The ego of some people is amazing and for sure Gus still occupies a lot of Auburn fan's minds.

There it is!

Thanks Proud!

Archived