Jamal Johnson to transfer (UAB 3/24/21)

Dunndone414

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Douglas Toney.

Hahahah I am not even going to edit it!!! Somehow I managed to merge our 2 most "recent" high profile transfers. I'm taking a knee on this one and just freaking owning it!!! 😂😂

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to JJ on his next stop. I appreciate the 3 years he put into our basketball program. It was a shame he didn't get more of a look at PG when we were thin there. His outside shot never was consistent enough here but he managed the offense well the last couple games this season. And the work he put in to improve his D for this year was really impressive. He struggled badly last year on D and was actually one of our better defenders this season. That doesn't happen without a lot of hard work put in.

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Unfortunately? I look at it as a opportunity to improve the talent on our roster. Time for some brutal honesty. There is a few dudes who we gave scholarships too that aren't really sec level player's. We have over recruited them and they will play even less next season than they did this season. Stretch and franklin are not starting over thor and Jabari in the front court and won't be ahead of the others in the rotation.

Totally agree with you on this! CBP is gonna get some good transfer players and run with it next year. I think we can easily build a big time team with the two coming in along with Thor, Flanagan etc...  if Cooper comes back and we add a couple good transfers we’re going to be set up nicely! Woooohoooo! Let’s gooooo baby 

How great it is to have quality players transferring because we such crazy talent incoming, each year.

Is this what the blueblood programs go through most off seasons?  

WOW.   Nice problems to have.

13 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

But we haven’t seen much in return lately.

@slyinsocal The available talent in the transfer portal has not even come close to hitting it's peak yet. We'll get the return when the staff finds the best transfers available.

And we can’t keep any.

We weren't & aren't trying to keep Johnson. He knew since before the season started that barring a huge improvement from him he was going to move on after this season to look for a better fit for himself as we upgrade our roster.

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@slyinsocal The available talent in the transfer portal has not even come close to hitting it's peak yet. We'll get the return when the staff finds the best transfers available.

We weren't & aren't trying to keep Johnson. He knew since before the season started that barring a huge improvement from him he was going to move on after this season to look for a better fit for himself as we upgrade our roster.

Where did u hear that JJ knew before the season started that he may have to move on? A decent source or conjecture?

Pearl even mentioned him on the last broadcast he was going to use JJ at the point more since his future would be more there. 

If Pearl was basically telling him he had no shot as a starter then I feel better that this was a coach’s move and expected to find better players in the Transfer portal to build a better roster. 

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Unfortunately? I look at it as a opportunity to improve the talent on our roster. Time for some brutal honesty. There is a few dudes who we gave scholarships too that aren't really sec level player's. We have over recruited them and they will play even less next season than they did this season. Stretch and franklin are not starting over thor and Jabari in the front court and won't be ahead of the others in the rotation.

Regardless you hate to lose big locker room/fan favorites type....I’m just speaking from the compassionate, not competitor angle

you can definitely afford to lose Stretch, Moore, Franklin etc

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Dual-Threat Rigby What AU games have you been watching? His D has been a liability & a talking point nearly his entire AU career.

I can’t speak to whatever narratives you’re referencing, but I’ve watched the games and he was a very solid defender this season. The head coach also seemed to believe so, as referenced here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-basketball-guard-Jamal-Johnson-off-to-improved-start-as-a-junior-157744502/Amp/

That’s fine, IF he gets SOMETHING tangible in return. But we haven’t seen much in return lately. It seems like players are willing to split playing time everywhere else but Auburn. Bama and Arky seem to have ball handlers galore. And we can’t keep any.

I think you’d have to factor in systems and the NCAA infractions when comparing us to them. Alabama and Arky will feasibly have 3-4 guards/wings get pretty even touches and even control of the O. Auburn, if there’s a good PG and SG on the roster, probably 90% of the offense, if not more, is going to flow through them. So even the bench guys are gonna work off the ball a TON. 

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I can’t speak to whatever narratives you’re referencing, but I’ve watched the games and he was a very solid defender this season. The head coach also seemed to believe so, as referenced here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-basketball-guard-Jamal-Johnson-off-to-improved-start-as-a-junior-157744502/Amp/

I watched them all too and compared to his last years D then yes he was improved. 
a solid defender he was not IMO this year. He was ok against avg guards which was better but he got burned many times when guarding better dribblers and drivers. He just didn’t force guards to alter their drives or make them uncomfortable. 

but I am assuming he left to try again at being a full time shooting guard as to a spot starter and having to work some at PG and maybe Pearl may have agreed he needed to try somewhere else. 

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Where did u hear that JJ knew before the season started that he may have to move on? A decent source or conjecture?

@steeleagle Logic given that most people knew he was on the chopping block before the season. Kind of covered this with you in a PM a week or two ago.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Pearl even mentioned him on the last broadcast he was going to use JJ at the point more since his future would be more there. 

If Pearl was basically telling him he had no shot as a starter then I feel better that this was a coach’s move and expected to find better players in the Transfer portal to build a better roster. 

Pearl didn’t have to tell him. JJ knew that he doesn’t have a shot at starting at PG or SG for our team.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ve watched the games and he was a very solid defender this season

Not the same games I watched. When he played the two he was getting his ass whooped.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not the same games I watched. When he played the two he was getting his ass whooped.

Flanagan has got his ass whooped in games before too lol. You don’t win every one man 

I think JJ leaving is probably best for him, as I don't see him being a starter next year and no one can fault him for wanting to be a starter his last year.  Unless he improves his 3 point shooting and defense by a HUGE margin I don't think there is even a remote chance for the NBA, and there is no chance of getting enough minutes to get there next season at Auburn.  It would have been good for Auburn to have him on the team as a senior leader, but he is doing what is best for him personally by transferring IMO.  I don't think Franklin leaving is a bad thing either in the grand scheme of things, I much prefer watching Moore play and I think he has a much higher ceiling.  If Franklin didn't transfer out, we might have lost Moore instead.  With the core of guys coming back and the potential of the new guys coming in, in addition to possibly keeping Cooper another year, Auburn is primed for another SEC title and deep NCAA tourney run in my opinion.  Growing up in UK basketball territory, I know these yearly transfers of solid/good/young players is something that UK fans deal with every year.   The fact that Auburn is starting to experience this every year just shows how far Auburn has come as a program since Pearl became coach.  I guess we will have to accept this as the "norm" every year going forward as an elite program.  (It still doesn't change how pissed I am that we lost Powell though and the way in which he treated AU!!)

23 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

I think JJ leaving is probably best for him, as I don't see him being a starter next year and no one can fault him for wanting to be a starter his last year.  Unless he improves his 3 point shooting and defense by a HUGE margin I don't think there is even a remote chance for the NBA, and there is no chance of getting enough minutes to get there next season at Auburn.  It would have been good for Auburn to have him on the team as a senior leader, but he is doing what is best for him personally by transferring IMO.  I don't think Franklin leaving is a bad thing either in the grand scheme of things, I much prefer watching Moore play and I think he has a much higher ceiling.  If Franklin didn't transfer out, we might have lost Moore instead.  With the core of guys coming back and the potential of the new guys coming in, in addition to possibly keeping Cooper another year, Auburn is primed for another SEC title and deep NCAA tourney run in my opinion.  Growing up in UK basketball territory, I know these yearly transfers of solid/good/young players is something that UK fans deal with every year.   The fact that Auburn is starting to experience this every year just shows how far Auburn has come as a program since Pearl became coach.  I guess we will have to accept this as the "norm" every year going forward as an elite program.  (It still doesn't change how pissed I am that we lost Powell though and the way in which he treated AU!!)

I still think losing Moore is something of a possibility, and I don't think it'd be a killer. The guy would get...maybe 4-6 minutes with how many other power forward options we have. And akin to his former bench brother Javon Franklin, he pretty much only works at one position (if everyone else is healthy). I would NOT be surprised if he stayed, just bc I don't know what else we really NEED to improve if we get that Penn State transfer, but who knows 

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Flanagan has got his ass whooped in games before too lol. You don’t win every one man 

Not consistently like JJ.

FWIW JHead on the bunker says JJ could land at UAB soon. Seems like he would be a great fit on an Andy Kennedy team.

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I still think losing Moore is something of a possibility, and I don't think it'd be a killer.

Agreed & not to mention there's still no true feel as to where he truly fits on this team.

FWIW JHead on the bunker says JJ could land at UAB soon. Seems like he would be a great fit on an Andy Kennedy team.

That was my initial thought too. Jamal will fit in wherever he lands. Wish him well . 

That makes sense too since his family I think is from Birmingham originally, and I wonder if his dad still lives up there?

Agreed & not to mention there's still no true feel as to where he truly fits on this team.

I really like Moore, and didn't understand why he didn't shoot more towards the end of the season or play a little more. He had some games where he made some really nice 3 pt shots, and he is very active around the basket. 

I guess since he is what 6'6" he has some height disadvantages around the basket, but he seems like he has to play the 3 or 4 mostly which now is going to be behind Flanigan and Thor, and now Jabari too...

These guys that can leave so quick and find another team, is just killing teams like us who are losing experience and continuity. Moore can start more than likely in a smaller conference and play most of the games. Which is what most of these guys want in basketball. 

I hope Moore stays. I think he is the type player who will improve dramatically from year one to year two. Also while only 6'6" he is a thicker player which is something Auburn is missing to an extent. Somebody who when he bangs the other player moves. He has a nice stroke also which we can use.

31 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I hope Moore stays. I think he is the type player who will improve dramatically from year one to year two. Also while only 6'6" he is a thicker player which is something Auburn is missing to an extent. Somebody who when he bangs the other player moves. He has a nice stroke also which we can use.

He looks comfortable at the 3 from what i have seen of him. Has a nice outside shot as well. 

Archived