I Need A Lawnmower

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’ve never felt more like a Hank Hill until I cut the grass on my own lawn and stared out at after admiring my work.

Haha, I do the same.  Neighbors probably have a group text going talking about us Louisiana Cajuns that have moved into Kentucky.  ..."He's taking pictures of his yard again ...." 😆 

We are also like the only ones that would play in the snow.  You can tell we've never seen it before Kentucky.  They are done with it . After this winter, I'm done with it just about as well lol. 

• Haha 2

I purchased the Ego battery powered mower and have now had a chance to use it three times.  I have over half an acre to mow and so far I've been able to do it with one charge and power to spare.  The performance of the thing is outstanding and I love not fooling with gas and oil or any of that crap.  And the storage thing is a huge plus too.  Mine has the double blades for mulching but can also be used to bag, which is what I do most of the time.  There is one for about $400 but I decided to get the upgraded model with the 7.5 amp hr battery, dual blades, etc.  I highly recommend it.  

This is my first self-propelled mower and my word what a difference it makes in how I feel afterwards.

Bonus for me is, I already had the Ego string trimmer and the hedge trimmers.  So I have two other 2.5 amp hr batteries available if I needed them to finish the yard for some reason.

Has anyone had a Battery powered mower for more than 2-3 years? I had a $400 Kobalt brand from Lowes 4- 5 years ago. It came with 2 batteries, and it was awesome at the start. Sometime during the end of the 2nd mowing season, the Batteries started to weaken, and wouldnt hold a charge. I started to need to put the spare battery in half way through mowing. Then by the 3rd mowing season, 2 batteries would only do half my Lawn...which is normally just a 30 min mow.   I went to buy new batteries and they were like $180.00 ea!  I talked to Lowes and they were able to take the mower back. I ended up going back to the gas mower.   I am curious if anyone here has had the same luck or not. I wasnt sure if I could of maybe had a defective charger that might have been overcharging and damaging them somehow, or if its just that the average life of the batteries is only a few years.  

5 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Has anyone had a Battery powered mower for more than 2-3 years? I had a $400 Kobalt brand from Lowes 4- 5 years ago. It came with 2 batteries, and it was awesome at the start. Sometime during the end of the 2nd mowing season, the Batteries started to weaken, and wouldnt hold a charge. I started to need to put the spare battery in half way through mowing. Then by the 3rd mowing season, 2 batteries would only do half my Lawn...which is normally just a 30 min mow.   I went to buy new batteries and they were like $180.00 ea!  I talked to Lowes and they were able to take the mower back. I ended up going back to the gas mower.   I am curious if anyone here has had the same luck or not. I wasnt sure if I could of maybe had a defective charger that might have been overcharging and damaging them somehow, or if its just that the average life of the batteries is only a few years.  

I just got mine, but this guy did a 3-year review of his Ego mower and indicates the battery is still going strong:

https://strandedathome.com/ego-electric-lawn-mower-hands-on-review-3-years-later/

I think part of the reason Ego is more expensive than some of the others is that their batteries and chargers are more advanced and higher quality, making them hold a real, usable charge for longer.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 9:23 AM, TitanTiger said:

I just got mine, but this guy did a 3-year review of his Ego mower and indicates the battery is still going strong:

https://strandedathome.com/ego-electric-lawn-mower-hands-on-review-3-years-later/

I think part of the reason Ego is more expensive than some of the others is that their batteries and chargers are more advanced and higher quality, making them hold a real, usable charge for longer.

If I could have afforded the 2 blade EGO,I would have gone for it.  Just a bit out of my range. Definitely was not going to get the 5ah battery.  Would have gone with the 7.5.  

On 4/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, SaturdayGT said:

Do you have 40v or 80v? I saw someone that had the 80v for a while that was still good.  Lowes was selling the 40v at a great price but I just didn't trust that one because of battery fatigue. 

Edited by AUBwins

On 4/10/2021 at 11:03 AM, AUBwins said:

Do you have 40v or 80v? I saw someone that had the 80v for a while that was still good.  Lowes was selling the 40v at a great price but I just didn't trust that one because of battery fatigue. 

I went with the 80v for the same reason. I think my issue may have been my charger. My hunch is that it may have been overcharging and not cutting off when it was at full charge and damaging the batteries.  I had the option of Lowes replacing the Batteries and charger, but I opted to just get a refund for it instead. . I was pretty frustrated with the mower at the time, and the cost of the batteries made me thank god it was still under warranty!   I ended up getting a gas powered Husqvarna and couldn't be happier.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mower has been working great! Really love the bluegrass as well.  Much easier to cut than the Ole St Augustine. Lol.  The first 4 were the week before, showing how the grass stripes well.  Some of the neighbors yards look professional, but they cut it themselves. 

Last set are from Friday after all the rain the few days prior.  Still running about 1.5 to 2 bars remaining after cut. 

20210423_195352.jpg

20210423_195440.jpg

20210423_195446.jpg

20210423_195553.jpg

20210501_195010.jpg

20210501_195024.jpg

20210501_195231.jpg

20210501_195240.jpg

Edit:  actually the bunny pics are the neighbors yard.  Didn't realize when posting. Lol that's the momma that I had been seeing earlier, but the baby was the pics posted today. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1